1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Request for Red Rowdies.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROCKET RY, Nov 15, 2006.

1. ROCKET RY

ROCKET RY Contributing Member

PLease, please,please, at the next home game, we need a NOvak or v-span chant to at least let gundy know that the fans are getting restless. These guys should be playing at least a few minutes each game. If they had played 10 minutes each last night I don't believe we would have colapsed. He wore our starters out, instead of saving them for the end of the game. Any RED ROWDIES down with this?

2. Omer

Omer Member

Yes please, that would be great.

At least do the chant when we are hopefully leading by a lot against the Bulls.

3. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

I agree with the OP as well

4. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Hmmm.... Not to be a spoil sport, but just remember that Van Gundy is the one who personally bought the Red Rowdy seats.

5. windfern

windfern Member

make sure that you say it on the right time, NOT before the opening of the first quarter. :D

6. docgundy

docgundy Member

I'm a Red Rowdy, and I won't do it. I have no problem with the people JVG's playing. He's still going 9 men deep. Not many coaches go 12 men deep. Even Pop didn't do that last night when they were struggling.

7. Omer

Omer Member

We have good players at 10 and 11 though. Especially 10, Novak is an automatic 3, not many teams have that, or at least not at their 10 spot.

8. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

There are two questions:

1) Should Novak/Kill Bill get some minutes?
    2) Should the Red Rowdies be used to criticize the coaching?

For me, it breaks down like this:

1) Yes. I would love to see our rooks gain some experience, even at the expense of some Ws. I'm in the minority, but I don't agree with the "Win Now" mantra, I prefer looking at a 1-5 year outlook. I'd love to give V-Span and Novak even 5 minutes a game and see what they can do. It should pay dividends down the road, and 5 minutes/game isn't going to kill us in the short term.

2) No. For my money, the Red Rowdies should be 100% loyal, positive, peppy, and going full-speed-ahead for what the team is doing on the court. Not to second guess the coach.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I can't believe this thread is continuing to get replies.. since it is, I'll say something.

The Red Rowdies should not be used to be critical of our own team--at least not premeditated criticism like this.

On top of that...as previously stated, once a team starts consistently going 11 men deep, no one gets in a rhythm at all. Why don't we wait until Novak and VSpan prove themselves to have beaten out their superiors (right now) in practice, at which point, JVG plays them? It'll happen if they're as good as you think they are. For now, I'll put my money on Padgett at the backup 4 spot (while Hayes is out) over Novak attempting to guard Duncan/Elson, or even "small" 4's like Marion.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cheering for a bench player is NOT criticizing the coach.

DD

11. Porsche576

Porsche576 Member

Yell out Bonzi's name while yall are at it.

12. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

DD is right. cheer for whoever you want but whatever you do no "fire van gundy" chants cuz he's the reason you're standing there in the first place...

13. ROCKET RY

Thank You DD

14. micah1j

micah1j Member

If its late in the game and we winning big then I say YES!

15. THEDREAMSHAKE34

I like it alot , v-span and novak are in the spot where i was during my 2 years of varsity basketball ... on the bench lol. And that little encouragement with the rowdies chanting for 'em is only gonna help them and hopefully give them a chance for some pt. But definitely no chant criticizing jvg, it just needs to support the players, and who's to say that a jvg chant wouldn't work out good either ? lol

16. ROCKET RY

I never said yell at JVG, I am actually a JVG supporter. But he is a stuborn mofo, and just a little subliminal message in the air would be nice. And yes, it would be good for the rooks to hear some support while they ride the bench.

17. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Begging for those players to get PT would mean getting much better players off the floor, and that just doesn't make sense at all.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I guess it depends on how the chant is phrased. But at least the meaning of this thread seems to be that Novak and VSpan should be playing instead of others, and that JVG is making a mistake. If a chant is phrased in that light or with that attitude, I think it is criticizing.

I mean, the thread-starter said if one of them had played 10 mins in the Spurs game we wouldn't have lost??

Now if it's late in a game and we're up or down a lot, then obviously, no problems cheering to put a guy in.