1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beef Jerky

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fadeaway, Aug 23, 2001.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I've just started making beef jerky in my little food dehydrator. Does anyone have any good marinade recipes or jerky-making techniques?

What is the best beef to buy? So far I've been using flank and round steaks.

I love jerky. :cool:

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I don't know about making beef jerky, but the best place to buy it is a place called 'Woody's Smokehouse" in Centerville, Texas. Take the Centerville exit heading north to Dallas and it's right there on the corner, by a convenience store. They have a big variety, including beef, chicken, turkey, and exotic meats like ostrich jerky and alligator jerky. My personal favorite: The pepper beef jerky. Simply the best in Texas.

I love jerky too, fade.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Did you know that super models preferred snack is beef jerkey. I guess because it's low in fat, calories, and all that bad stuff.

Models also eat burn toast a lot to help whiten their teeth.

4. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

PSJ: Your cc.net model information source.

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

fadeaway... to make good beef jerky you have to start with the finest beef... I would suggest getting your meat from Whole Foods! They actually have (IMHO) the best tasting meat in town. It's all natural, not shot up with a bunch of anti-biotics, hormones and stuff. You can really taste the difference...

Now if you want to buy jerky, I like Prasek's Smokehouse on 59 near El Campo. (about an hour or so outside of Houston) They have an excellent Turkey Jerky! Good, good stuff!

rH

6. fadeaway

Guys, don't forget that I live in Newfoundland, which is hundreds of <b>miles</b> away from Whole Foods and your local Texas jerky shops. ;)

7. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I have one of those tray dehydrators and have been making jerky since christmas.

This is what I do.

I've tried several types of meat.The best meat is something very lean.I use either eye of round or brisket.I buy the brisket thats had all the fat trimmed away already.

Next I slice it up,making sure to try and keep the thickness and size of the pieces consistent.The thinner they are the better and will cure much faster.From 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch is ideal.

I've tried many different marinades with good results.You can be creative and use whatever is to your liking.I'll give you my favorite.it is very simple.

I take and coat the meat with UNSEASONED meat tenderizer.
    Then I apply a brisket rub on it.I use some stuff I buy at a bbq chain called Rudy's :) I then put it all into one of those 1 gallon freezer bags and dump a bunch of worcestershire[sp] sauce in with it.I then let it sit,refrigerated,of course, anywhere from 12 to 18 hours.

Next day I just lay it on the racks and let the Dhyd. cook it.The only thing I do during the process is rotate the racks around once or twice.Also it's much quicker to do two small loads,rather then one large one.You want to leave enough room for the air to circulate between the pieces.

It turns out very good using this method and people usually say it's some of the best they have tasted.It usually doesn't last very long.

Sometimes I use jack daniels bbq sauce as the marinade and that turns out very good.I usually squeze off the excess sauce before placing it on the dhyd.

Hope that helps some.Good luck.

8. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Hey fade,

wow, new foundland, sweeet...
    I've always wanted to go there... why? I don't know... just do...

anyway, send me your email addy and I've got some info for you.

rH

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What dehydrators are you guys using? I'm in the mood to buy a gadget I'll probably end up not using after 1 or 2 times... :D

10. fadeaway

11. fadeaway

Mine is a cylindrical clear plastic job with four round racks.

It works pretty well. The only problem is that if you leave it on too long, the element gets hot enough to melt the plastic racks.

We got it at a flea market.

12. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

absolutely!!! Try their frigging German sausauge someday, too. Hell, I'm making some tonight, in fact...true!

Newbiehad and I may disagree on some minor details of life....but never on what really counts!!

14. heypartner

Oh! you underestimate the potential.

You ever cook with chipotle. That's a smoked jalepeno...done to a crispee state. It is pretty damn near impossible to actually smoke a jalepeno in Houston's humidity to a crispee critter. You must cheat. And that means you must dehydrate it half way and smoke it the rest.

Man.....there is a reason chipotle can sell for $30 per pound.

15. heypartner

shhhhh, you are going to give away my secret to how am going to get behad's daughter to say someday, "Dad, this brisket is better than yours." I'm going to cheat by smoking with Whole Food's brisket. It is my only chance!!

Of course, Behad will never bring his family over to my house again after that...but I'll make him pay for reneging our bet, somehow, someway.....when.you.least.expect.

expect it!

16. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

No f***ing way! My daughter KNOWS who makes the best brisket, and you don't stand a chance.

BTW, stay away from my daughter, you perv! :p