1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First Skydive....To die or not to die.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by PhiSlammaJamma, Aug 9, 2001.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Anybody else gone skydiving? If you have a story I guess you lived, but any stories you've got would help me to decide.

In one month I'd like to go for the first time in New York. My jump will probably be a tandem jump. Is it worth $200 plus another 50 dollars for the video tape? My dad has always wanted to go so I thought we'd jump together. Will my life insurance cover me if I die? Is this safe? Oh my GOD!

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I'd drop $300 bucks to skydive, just to say that I did it.

I paid $20 to do that "reverse bungee" thing, where you start on the ground, then get shot up into the air...That was a blast, but I wouldn't do it again simply because it costs a Jackson...

I am a total thrill-seeker...I know a couple of people that won't even go on a roller coaster, because they're weenies...

Just remember, don't pull the cord until AFTER you jump out of the plane

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I've never done it but I think I can unequivocally state that it is safer than getting in your car each and every day. I think I would be worried about the plane crashing on the way up(as most skydivers seem to die from that) rather than something like my chute not opening(especially since you have a back-up chute). If your a bona fide thrill seeker adrenaline junkie, then you have to go for it. Otherwise, stick to the ground.

Don't watch any "Faces of Death" videos before doing it :) !

Surf

4. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

phi.. i went tandem paragliding in aspen a few weeks back and it was pretty cool. i'm wanting to go skydiving and i figured thats a step in between so i'd try that first.. you basically take off from the side of a huge mountain and glide down. its expensive but i say worth it. you always have to pay quite a bit of money for a once in a lifetime experience so if you really want to go skydiving and can afford it you should probably do it. in a few years you may not have the guts to do it.. or the financial means etc and regret for years that you didn't do it when you had the chance...

i'm 18 and a senior in high school.. a group of friends want to go skydiving this year as well so hopefully i'll be going this year.. just waiting for a few more of them to turn 18 so we can do it.. hopefully by then i wont change my mind!

i'm not quite sure if i'd even do it at the moment because something just tells me to not jump out of the plane lol. the paragliding thing i did was awesome though once i got in the air. it is the initial takeoff or whatever that is scary and probably once your parachute opens in skydiving and you arent' as scared it would be great... i'd check the safety record of the place though and everything. also maybe go and watch a few people land etc... you will be a lot less scared if you go the day before and see a lot of people safely land...

#4 Rocket Fan, Aug 9, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2001
  5. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Just don't pass out on the way down.

6. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

When I was 19, a girl I had gone to high school with was killed when her chute didn't open during her first jump. It was apparently some sort of human error on her part, though, rather than a mechanical failure of the chute (it's been so long ago, I don't remember exactly).

That was the only death this particular school had ever had out of thousands of jumps over the years (and since. The place was still in business several years after this incident).

Things can go wrong, but these incidents are pretty rare.

I could never do it, though, I am very afraid of heights. I don't even like to go in tall buildings.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

I won't pass out because that would give you an advantage in the fantasy leagues! :p

Thanks for the imput. I'm definately going to check out the safety record! I want to go parasailing. That sounds really cool. I wish I could do this stuff in Colorado where there is great scenery, but that's too costly. But some day maybe. I just won't do it near that Jurassic Island (for those that saw the movie).

If my shoot doesn't open you all are dead meat!