1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike James decision possibly on July 11th

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pandaemonaeon, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Song

Song Member

Let's keep optimistic. Maybe a S&T deal is currently underway but not finished yet, so he must wait for a while until everything cleared.

2. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Spanoulis as a Rocket is almost DEAD. Please !!!

3. sumofuk

sumofuk Member

This guy is dumb...acting like the Rockets are the worst team out there or something...we are a playoff team and we took Dallas to 7 not that long ago and might have beat them if not for some crappy calls.He doesnt mention our injuries last year.Im sorry but When we are 100% we are better than Dallas.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Either a sign and trade or waiting to see how much the MLE will be worth.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well, the question is will we be healthy? I don't think it's hard to understand why he would consider Dallas to be a better team. It was just a few weeks ago they played in the championship, and like they said, we haven't won a playoff series since 1997.

Hopefully we'll be better than Dallas this year, but objectively, we have a better 1-2 punch but they beat the hell out of us 3-12.

6. H-Dub

H-Dub Member

Okay i havent been reading the today! Have their been reports that a sign and trade is going to happen?

7. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

The article in the Chronicle today made a mention that the Rockets are exploring the possibility.

I think that is why the decision is taking so long. They are waiting to see the cap figures and MLE number and see how the $4.2 TE compares. I think the best thing for the Rockets is if the MLE is closer to $5 mill. than $5.5. That would put the TE in play more.

8. tricky

tricky Member

The latest and greatest...

July 7, 2006, 8:31PM
    James may make decision Monday•Rockets still in the hunt

•Guard weighs deals from three teams

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

LAS VEGAS - Mike James, the Rockets' primary free agent target, has postponed his decision about where he would play next season until Monday, James' agent Bill Duffy said.

James is choosing between offers from the Rockets, Mavericks and Timberwolves, all above the salary cap and limited to offering the mid-level exception unless they can reach agreement with the Toronto Raptors on a sign-and-trade deal. James chose to wait until Monday when he is scheduled to meet with Mavericks coach Avery Johnson.

Duffy said James initially considered the Rockets the front-runner but now is torn between the interest all three teams have shown.

"Now that Michael's sitting down with people ... the playing field has been balanced," Duffy said Friday. "In fairness to the entire process and all the teams that have expressed interest, Mike wanted to sit down with everybody. My belief is by Monday afternoon, we want to have this team figured out."

Duffy said he there is "ongoing dialogue" about a sign-and-trade arrangement with the Raptors. That would allow teams to pay more than the mid-level exception, expected to begin at about $5 million, but there are do not seem to be many players with appropriate contracts that would interest the Raptors.

The Rockets have a $4.2 million trade exception in which they could trade only a draft pick to acquire James in a sign-and-trade, giving him larger raises than if signing him outright.

"That is being contemplated," Duffy said. "He loves Houston, there's no question about that."

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

10. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Don't forget the link when posting articles.

11. IA Rocket

IA Rocket Contributing Member

Why wouldn't Mike James take his time to weigh his options? After all, It's not like he chose to leave Houston the first time. If an old girlfriend who dumped me wanted to get back together again, I'd be a little cautious.

12. YnMDynasty

YnMDynasty Member

After MJ's signing with Rox, who will be the next?

I insist that Rox must get a tough PF if they wanna win Mavs or Spurs. How about free agents like Tony Battie or Lorenzen Wright?

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

considering that rockets have 7 forwards on contract, and 4 guards, if mj signs. i'd say no.

14. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Perhaps this is a negative sign for HOU's chances that they are no longer the front runner... but it could just be Mike and Bill trying to squeeze the best deal out of each team by keeping everyone's hope alive.

In any case, I hope he signs a lucrative deal either in HOU or elsewhere. He's earned it.

15. TMACFORMVP

TMACFORMVP Member

That's be sweet if we could get James with the exception and still have the MLE to use. Then if McGrady and Yao are healthy WATCH OUT!!!!!!!!! :)

16. tricky

tricky Member

17. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

its clear that mike james doesnt love houston as much as he says he does otherwise he would of committed already.

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I wouldn't go that far, I think hes just taking his time, if he makes his decision on Monday, about a week to make his final decision, it really hasn't been all that long.

I still think the best situation for MJ is Houston.

Minny- a team that seems to be going nowhere, talks of trading KG

Dallas- a rut at guard so he'll see limited playing time

Houston- have a real need for a 3rd scorer and he'll see plenty of time on the floor + as long as Yao and T-mac stay healty always in a contention of making a serious run

19. Turcan5

Turcan5 Member

Yeah right...the Rockets are better than the team that won the West this year. The refs weren't the reason we lost that series. We had big 4th quarter leads in games 3 and 4 and we choked. I wish fans would quit blaming the refs for losing the series. This makes our fans sound just as whiny as Cuban and Avery did in the finals.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Michael Finley is STILL out of bounds, by 3 feet !!!

The Rockets with TMac and Yao played Dallas pretty even....now you add in younger players, and a better Yao, and you are going to be in much better shape.

A rockets team with Battier, James, Tmac, Yao, Alston is a better matchup with Dallas, or with anyone....then you add in Hayes & Novak and you have a team capable of beating anyone.....anytime.

DD