1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Second round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmac4prez, Jun 21, 2006.

?

Who do you hope for?

Poll closed Jun 28, 2006.
  1. Steve Novak

72 vote(s)
    36.9%
  2. Mike Gansey

39 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Kevin Pittsnoggle

43 vote(s)
    22.1%
  4. Other

41 vote(s)
    21.0%
  1. langal

langal Contributing Member

Jordan Farmar if he's available.

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

brewer/carney with 8th
    novak with 32nd

sign mike james

done deal woady~

3. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

James White! Why not, at 32? Big defender and adds athleticism, seems like a safe pick in the second round to me.

4. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Renaldo Balkman! Can dissapear at times, but an absolute tenacious defender who has the intangibles. Mardy Collins will drop as well but I can see LA or Dallas picking him up. Wouldn't complain with James White or Denham Brown either.

5. Porsche576

Porsche576 Member

James White!

6. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Of the 3 listed, I'd say Gansey. Led the team in rebounding (MORE than Pittsnogle who has at least 6 inches on him), shot a very good FG and 3PT% for a 2guard, scrappy player...reminds me of Bobby Sura, some toughness the team really needs.

Outside of these 3, though, there are plenty of other options that have been mentioned: Dee Brown, James White, PJ Tucker, etc...

7. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I just like the name Pittsnoggle, so that's who I voted for.

8. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Pittsnogle or James white .....if white gets those dunks hopefully he can put some butts in the seats

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

10. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

read my sig!!

11. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I think there are so many options at #32. Second rounders usually don't work out, but I have a really good feeling about the second rounders in this draft...so many options.

This draft is pretty weak at the top(No consensus 1-5, huge dropoff after 7 or so), but there are a bunch of guys in the second round range worth taking flyers on.

C - Not much, but then again, we don't need one
    PF - Kevin Pittsnogle/Josh Boone
    SF - Steve Novak/PJ Tucker/James White/Hassan Adams
    SG - Denham Brown/Mike Gansey/Allan Ray/Guillermo Diaz
    PG - Daniel Gibson/Darius Washington/Dee Brown

I'd love to take a flyer on one of the super-athletes(James White, Hassan Adams, Guillermo Diaz), especially White, because White has the ultimate NBA small forward body. His defensive potential is off the charts...up there with Rodney Carney, Ronnie Brewer, etc... Ridiculous athlete, long arms, and he's a hard worker. He stayed in college for four years, trying to improve his game. He never became the star that people expected him to be, but he's shown a willingness to improve and the talent is undeniable. I'm going to call it now...James White will be a steal. I'm not saying he'll be a star, but he will be a serviceable NBA player for years, while many guys taken ahead of him will not be.

Of the shooters(Pittsnogle, Novak, I would take Mike Gansey. He just seems like a no-nonsense get-it-done type of player. He doesn't have Bob Sura's athleticism or PG skills, but I see the same type of attitude. He's a competitor, and his quick release on his jump shot(55% FG/43% 3PT) would be perfect for a backup on the Rockets. Definitely not an athlete...Maybe a present-day Brent Barry? Scary how much of a non-athlete he could become as he ages, but it's not like we're building around our secound round pick for years to come.

Of the PG's I would take Dee Brown. Integral part of the ridiculous Illini team from a season ago. Obviously not the prospect that his teammates Head and Williams were, but he's a solid prospect. Incredibly fast, good ball handler...Certainly no worse than anyone we sign as a 3rd PG. Daniel Gibson of course has amazing potential(Considered a top 5 pick before the NCAA season started), but I'm not sold on if that will ever amount to anything. The fact that he's jumping now rather than staying in school and trying to improve his game(UT had a sick recruiting class, but if he couldn't start in front of a freshman, he's not making a NBA roster) is sad and maybe telling.

PJ Tucker's a fighter, but his potential is extremely limited. He can play the 2 on defense and can clean up on offense, so he might be able to find a niche in the NBA, but his lack of a real position will prevent him from being able to adapt to any team that picks him. I would take a flyer on him with #32, but I would prefer White, Gansey, or Brown over him.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

PJ Tucker.

Make him take a million threes and he will be our version of Antoine Walker backing up Tmac.

13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

If we get Roy I say backup pg becomes next priority. ANd I would pick Diaz if he's available. The guy is a super athlete with alot of upside and I think he could backup at both the 2 and the 1. The rumor is that Miami is trying to move up to grab him so here's hoping they don't. Otherwise I'll take Mardy collins or Lowry. By the way the Rockets have worked out all 3 of them so I think it's a fair bet they are looking for a PG in the second. All bets off if Redick drops to the second round.

14. drpepper

drpepper Member

Definitely a PG. If we still have Head on our team we should tab Dee Brown. That season was special, maybe we can get part 2 of that run. If not best PG available or a combo guard.

15. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

I think a backup SF should be our next priority after SG. We need to find a player that can give T-Mac a 10-15 minute break so he doesn't overwork himself and strain his back. I'd go with PJ Tucker or HNovak with the 32.

16. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Then Let's just agree to disagree. Not saying we don't need a better backup small forward. Bogans and Bowen suck but if we get Roy he can also backup Tmac. Where as Rafer is are only option at pg, and if we draft Diaz, he can backup both guard spots as well. I could actualy see Roy, Diaz and Rafer on the court at the same time while Tmac rests. So IMO the need at pg is light years ahead of the need for a backup sf and unless the roster changes before draft day drafting a sf with the second pick would be a bonehead decision.

Also if it's any indication who the Rockets are interested in they did work out at least 3 pg's that might be available with the second pick and I don't recall any sf they worked out.

17. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Our second round pick is crucial this year. In this draft we just have to go best player available. The Rockets have alot of needs, and we can't count on drafting Cuttino Mobley in the 2nd round. I can see someone like Josh Boone slipping to us. Some other names that I think have the potential to be there are Hassan Adams, Paul Davis, Daniel Gibson, Steve Novak and Leon Powe. I can't wait until Wednesday!

18. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Other, in descending order

1. Mardy Collins (if he falls)

2. Paul Davies (underrated, almost like Troy Murphy was coming out from Notre Dame)

3. Steve Novak (Matt Bullard clone?)

4. Mike Gansey (Rich man's Matt Maloney?)

5. Dehnam Brown.

19. TheBigSleep

TheBigSleep Member

I think Pittsnoggle, Gibson, or Brown could all do well on the Rockets with their 3 point range.

Pittsnoggle is the most intriguing of the 3 to me.

20. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

PJ Tucker & Daniel Gibson...yeah I'm a longhorn, but these are two quality guys.