1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Borders/Waldenbooks hand Jihadists another victory

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gwayneco, Apr 2, 2006.

1. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic.../03/29/national/a163611S00.DTL&type=printable

Borders and Waldenbooks stores will not stock the April-May issue of Free Inquiry magazine because it contains cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad that provoked deadly protests among Muslims in several countries.

"For us, the safety and security of our customers and employees is a top priority, and we believe that carrying this issue could challenge that priority," Borders Group Inc. spokeswoman Beth Bingham said Wednesday.

The magazine, published by the Council for Secular Humanism in suburban Amherst, includes four of the drawings that originally appeared in a Danish newspaper in September, including one depicting Muhammad wearing a bomb-shaped turban with a lit fuse.

Islamic tradition bars depiction of Muhammad to prevent idol worship, which is strictly prohibited.

"What is at stake is the precious right of freedom of expression," said Paul Kurtz, editor-in-chief of Free Inquiry. "Cartoons often provide an important form of political satire ... To refuse to distribute a publication because of fear of vigilante violence is to undermine freedom of press — so vital for our democracy."

Bingham said the decision was made before the magazine arrived at the company's stores. Borders Group, based in Ann Arbor, Mich., operates more than 475 Borders and 650 Waldenbooks stores in the United States, though not all regularly carry the magazine.

"We absolutely respect our customers' right to choose what they wish to read and buy and we support the First Amendment," Bingham said. "And we absolutely support the rights of Free Inquiry to publish the cartoons. We've just chosen not to carry this particular issue in our stores."

The cartoons, which were reprinted in European and American papers in January and February, sparked a wave of protests around the Islamic world. Protesters were killed in some of the most violent demonstrations and several European embassies were attacked.

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

welcome back. we missed you.

3. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Good lord. Do you really think Jihadists give a crap about what Borders books sells? If so then I just feel bad for you.

If you're joking then nevermind. :p

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Go Borders!

5. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

"We" Did?!?!?!?!
    Sorry if my sarcasm reader is off today, but Arab hating boy should go back into self imposed exile and do some of us a favor. He must have really been going through hell the last couples of weeks,huh.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Without gwayneco who would inform us of such minutiae detail of Islam that is relegated to page 56 of the Daily Times?

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

gwayneco, what does jihadists have to do with this???

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Welcome back gwayneco, you've been sorely missed around here!

I see you came back with a vengeance, I would expect nothing less :D

9. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Personally I think only one of the cartoons was hateful. The one that showed the Prophet with a bomb on his head. From what I know the prophet represents how all Muslims should carry themselves throughout their lifetime. By the way a Muslim friend told me this, so I may not have my facts right. Also, he told me how something called the hadeeth(written scripture that has captured the teaching of their prophet..in how to live life) is as important to them as the Quran. Therefore, as I see it, their prophet represents the religion?! So if you call him a terrorist, then you basically call all Muslims throughout the world terrorists?! That I think is just a hateful message, and why help someone spread that?

10. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Did Christian terrorists win when they wouldn't put "Piss Christ" in a museum? where is this scoreboard everyone is talking about?

11. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

great post....if people are gonna hide behind free speech and freedom of expression when it comes to insulting others then companies also have the right and freedom to do what they want

i'm sure these so-called "jihadists" dont really care about this sort of irrelevant stuff

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The message of cartoons and other art is that nothing is universally sacred and tolerance is required of all of us.

If you can't laugh at yourself, you are delusional.