1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Swift at Small Forward

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by RocketSiv, May 2, 2000.

1. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

Does anybody else see him possibly playing the 3 in the NBA. I want this guy on the Rockets more than anybody I have seen in the psat 4 years or so. Anyways he does have a decent shot, not three point range but close. This guy is the closest guy to Kevin Garnett in the last five years easy. He needs to be a Rocket and we need to give up anything outside of Steve, Shandon, and Cuttino to get him. The guy is a future star in this league, a franchise player, and gives us versatility at the three and the four. He is a piece to the puzzle. We all know how Rudy likes guys that can play 2 positions especially the forward spots. I kind of swayed from my point but basically the guy is versatile, athletic enough to play the three or the four, and also would give us more options in our offseason moves.

------------------

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Defensively, he's quick enough to play 3, but I personally wouldn't want him being my slasher, handling the ball. He's not a full point forward type.

Besides, I'd rather have him down low, where he can get rebounds, and block shots, two categories he's exceptional in.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

3. MManal

MManal Member

If the Rockets somehow can land Stromile Swift, his best position on this team would be PF. Swift's strongest points are his post up game, rebounding and shot blocking as Nike pointed out. My personal opinion is that Swift is the best player in this draft, better than Martin even. He has the legit PF size, the hops, the low post moves, the rebounding, the shot blocking, its all there.

Even though it may be a steep price to pay, if I am the Rockets, I would offer Kenny Thomas, Bryce Drew and the 9th pick in exchange for the draft rights to Swift. Maybe the Clippers would be interested in this package? If the Rockets cannot move up or dont win the lottery and end up picking 9th overall, I would like one of three players, Moiso, Johnson or Miles.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

4. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

I wouldn't even call that a steep price. Basically we have no role for Drew, so it would be KT and the pick. I would do that trade in a second for Swift or KMart.

From the Clips perspective, who knows maybe that might work. It is hard to know what the Clips will be thinking, you would think they would want a PF to replace Taylor. However, if Mihm doesn't come out, the 3 best picks will be power forwards and Chicago may want to deal. I would be inclined to trade Drew + Cato + #9 for Swift or KMart OR Drew + Los + #9 for Fizer (3rd or 4th pick in draft--if Mihm is available nor are Swift or Martin). Chicago would get a better PG than they have + another player who would get meaningful minutes + get a 2nd flight center (Prybella, Nigerian fellow) or a guard/SF using our pick (Mo Pete, Miller, Demarr, Barkley, Dooling). It would seem to fit our and their needs pretty well.

[This message has been edited by sir scarvajal (edited May 02, 2000).]

5. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

In time he could be a garnett type player who could very well play the 3. he has the athleticism to do it. his shot isnt bad but needs work.

------------------
    --TEX

6. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

You'll all make good points but I just have dreams of getting Duncan also. I think anybody here would be happy with a Francis, Shandon, Swift, Duncan, and center line-up.

------------------

7. hakola

hakola Member

how about:

Francis
    Anderson
    Swift
    Duncan
    Cato

------------------