1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Swift or Martin?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by thacabbage, May 2, 2000.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

If you had the first pick in the draft, who would you choose and why?

• Which of the two is more athletic?
    • Which of the two has a greater upside?
    • Which of the two is the better defender?
    • Which of the two is better on offense?
    • Which of the two has the better attitude/work ethic?
    • Which of the two do you see as fitting in better with the current Rockets?
      [/list=a]

Let the debating begin.

------------------
      thacabbage: Proud President and Founder of the Theo Ratliff Fan Club.

[This message has been edited by thacabbage (edited May 02, 2000).]

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Love this topic.

A. They both are BIG TIME athletic guys but I would have to say Swift has the edge here.

B. Kenyon

C. Both good defenders but Kenyon is better.

D. Kenyon has a better offensive game than Swift. Swift has a nice shot but Kenyon can score better and does it when he wants.

E. Kenyon, I dont have to explain

F. Both can fit the rockets really great but if the team wants to start winning games now then Kenyon is a better fit, Swift will take time to develop because he is so young.

I love both players but Kenyon is the real deal.

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

3. MManal

MManal Member

Stromile Swift. I have felt this way for a while, Swift's game translates a whole lot better to the NBA than Martin's.

Stromile Swift has legit PF height at 6-9 to 6-10, something Martin does not have. The Cincy media guide magically listed Martin at 6-9 this season despite his being a 6-7 to 6-8 player before.

Both Swift and Martin will need extra bulk to bang with the NBA PFs, both players are around 230.

Stromile Swift has a more defined low post game and should be able to translate this into NBA success with his athleticism, hops and legit PF size. Martin has improved his offensive game this season, but it is not as good as Swift's.

On the defensive end, I have to give the slight edge to Martin. Both players are very good shot blockers, but Martin seems to be a better team defensive player as he is all over the court on defense. However, Stromile Swift will have a better chance against the taller PFs in the NBA, Duncan, Webber, Garnett, McDyess, etc. This is where Martin's undersized question mark could come into effect.

In the open court, both Swift and Martin run the floor well, but Swift is a better finisher which is essential for the Rockets. Swift finishes alley-oops and open court plays like Antonio McDyess or the pre-bloated Kemp in his prime.

In terms of upside, the edge goes to Swift. His game can still get a whole lot better. He has shown some ability to shoot the mid range shot, but it could use more work. If he can continue to improve his 15-17 footer, he will be a very tough player to stop.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

4. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

A. Its pretty equal although stro might have a tiny advantage
    B. I think swift edges out here as well. he has more of an NBA body
    C. Martin by alot even though Swift is excellent too
    D. Stro is better all around. i say that because he has a decent outside shot. decent not great. martin is better inside, but not as much of a J.
    E. Martin. Martin has really worked to improve his game by staying 4 years in school. stro could use another year but still will be superb.
    F. Swift has a slight edge here. we need someone like him to compliment francis. martin would/ could be just as good though.

both players are gonna be great in this league. id be THRILLED with eather. but overall i say swift gets the slighter edge.

------------------
    --TEX

5. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Look, I have a good feel that Stromile Swift will be measured at 6'9" and Kenyon Martin at 6'8". I don't think one or two inches will matter that much. Kenyon Martin has a huge wingspan that will make up for the 1 inch difference. And Martin is the much better defender. Even though he's only 230, he's very wiry strong like Gary Payton. I haven't seen anyone in college push him around in the low post. I've seen Stromile Swift get shoved around like a sack of potatoes.

------------------

6. MManal

MManal Member

If you look closely at Swift on the court, he looks closer to 6-10 than 6-9 and has a long frame to go with it. I was simply amazed at how tall and long Swift looks and how well he runs the floor. Martin isnt a slouch either, but Swift clearly has the better body size wise imho. As far as the wingspan thing goes, Swift has a long wingspan also.

I do agree that Swift needs to bulk up and get stronger, but Martin is not exempt from that.

Both players are very talented, and NBA teams will have plenty of evaluating to do in deciding which one to pick, but if someone were to ask me which player could potentially have the NBA impact of someone like McDyess or Webber, I would have to say Swift. Martin is really good also but just does not have the superstar PF body or superstar potential that Swift possesses.

------------------

Draftsource.net

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Martin is a safe, high output pick. I don't see any way he can really bust, as he's great on defense, and solid on offense, and athletic.

Swift however, has a higher potential return. He'll be behind Martin IMO next year, and maybe the year after that, but by his 3rd year, he'll break out, he has ALL the tools. Either one is win win.

Fizer, IMO is a bust, and if we trade up for him, I'll be dissapointed.

Now to answer the questions:
    1. Swift-Both are, but Swift is Garnett like athletically
    2. Swift-Martin is a safer bet to reach more of his potential, but if Swift does, it'll be sick, and there's a pretty good chance he will.
    3. Martin-Neither are bad.
    4. Right now, Martin; soon, Swift
    5. Martin-very devoted, but Swift isn't exactly Cato.
    6. Swift-he's a perfect Francis match

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

8. MManal

MManal Member

Good points Nike, I agree fully. Stromile Swift just has an incredibly high ceiling to his game. I would be willing to wait as he bulks up and gets stronger as his potential is just incredible. If the Rockets can somehow trade up to acquire Swift, they would potentially have an incredible 1-2 punch with Francis-Swift. It would just be an incredible athletic display to watch.

------------------

Draftsource.net