1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moiso and Rush heading to the Draft:

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Francis3, May 2, 2000.

1. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Bruins pick draft over junior seasons

UCLA sophomores JaRon Rush and Jerome Moiso made the expected announcements Monday that they will declare for the NBA draft.
    The school released statements from the players that the two will forgo their final two seasons of eligibility. Rush and Moiso become the 15th and 16th underclassmen to declare for the draft. The deadline to declare is May 14. Underclassmen have until June 21 to pull out of the draft.

Members of the UCLA coaching staff told ESPN.com that Rush had debated for weeks whether to declare. He was tempted to simply test the draft process, go to the Chicago pre-draft camp or have pro coaches come and watch him at UCLA.
    But the staff told ESPN.com that Rush believed he was a lock for the first round and didn't need to test the process. But NBA scouts told ESPN.com that Rush isn't a given to go the first round.

The 6-foot-7 Rush missed 24 games because of two NCAA suspensions. In nine total games, he averaged 12.1 points and 5.7 rebounds. But Rush went home to Kansas City and missed a number of days of school, putting his eligibility in question for next season, according to the staff.

"I am going to miss my teammates and my coaches," Rush said in a statement. "This has been a tough decision for me to make, because I have enjoyed my two years at UCLA. However, at this point in time, this is the decision that is best for my family and me."

Meanwhile, the coaching staff had expected the 6-10 Moiso to declare since the end of the season. Members of the staff told ESPN.com that Moiso told them he would likely only stay two years when he signed. Moiso, a native of Guadeloupe, West Indies, averaged 13 points and led the team with 7.6 rebounds per game.

NBA scouts have penciled in Moiso for the top 20, possibly the lottery because of his versatile inside game. Moiso has the upside in his game that scouts love to project for a still-developing big man.

"This was a difficult decision for me," Moiso said in a statement. "Playing in the NBA has been a goal of mine and I feel this is the time for me to take the next step. I have enjoyed my two years at UCLA. I am grateful to the coaches for giving me the opportunity to be a part of the UCLA program. I am a much better player today, and I am in a position to realize my goal of playing in the NBA, because of what I have learned and the experience I have gained during the last two years."

The Bruins probably won't lose a third player. The staff told ESPN.com that it doesn't expect freshman Jason Kapono to bolt for the draft after one season.

"We certainly wish Jerome and JaRon good luck as they pursue their dream," Bruins head coach Steve Lavin in the same statement. "While we would love for them to stay and play for our team next season, these two young men have evaluated their individual situations and have made the decisions they feel are best for them.

"They have both made positive contributions to our program over the last two years and they will always be part of the Bruin family. We hope Jerome and JaRon will take advantage of the opportunity to continue their education in the future."

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

2. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

I haven't seen Moiso play at all. Could anyone give me some scouting reports?

------------------

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The best comparison to Moiso.....Kevin Garnett.

He's 6'10'', has a NICE outside shot out to about 20, and plays a little more like an SF, than a PF. Really athletic. Great hops. Good passer. He doesn't bang all that much but gets a good share of rebounds. He's good for 1-2 blocks a game.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Moiso (6'10'') is almost as tall as Camby, and I'd say a lot longer. Body wise, Ratliff is pretty similar, but Ratliff scores mainly garbage stuff, not much of a jump shooter. Moiso actually has some good post moves, if he just gets a little more aggressive he could be perennial all star. He's on my list of players I'd really like to draft-along with Swift, Martin, (Moiso), Miller, Miles, Oyededji, Johnson, in that order. I'll scream bloody murder if we get anyone else. [​IMG]

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

5. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

I heard at least 1 report that Moiso was 6' 9", and I think Camby has pretty long arms at 6'11" so I doubt Moiso is longer than him. The Rocket tape measure of his height and wingspan will be important. I haven't seen Ratliff that much, but he looks like he gets more than garbage points to me (in fact Phily #1 low post option). But if Moiso can be about as good as either of these players I would take him in a heartbeat at #9.

I do agree Moiso has a fluid offensive game. But he was so much quicker than guys his size in college, so I am not sure if his game will fully translate to the pros. Think about what happened to Jamison--who was a completely dominant inside player in college. Although Jamison's game is coming around now, quickness alone wasn't cutting it at first (granted he is probably around 2 inches shoter than Moiso).

I like your list of guys to draft though I haven't seen the Nigerian fellow at all so I have no opinion on him. Also, I really like Fizer if Swift, Martin and Mihm were impossible (say we could move to 4 but the cost to 2 or 3 was much greater) and might select Demarr & Miles before the better rounded but lower potential IMO Mike Miller.

[This message has been edited by sir scarvajal (edited May 02, 2000).]

6. MManal

MManal Member

Jerome Moiso would definitely be a nice player to get at the #9 pick. He could develop into a Rasheed Wallace minus the 100000000 technical fouls. As flamboyant and demonstrative as Sheed is, Moiso is on the opposite end of the spectrum. However, their games and body builds are extremely similar.

Moiso is a 6-10 forward with long arms that is on the thin side as Wallace was when he came into the league. Moiso can play the inside-outside game as he possesses a left handed hook shot in the post and a smooth perimeter shot. He has the ability to face up his defender and score which will be very useful with his size and long frame in the NBA. Also, Moiso runs the court extremely well and has very good hops. He can run the court with the guards and finish alley-oop plays on the break much like Wallace does. Moiso also possesses those slithery, plasticy, body torquing moves around the basket that Wallace has.

To improve his game, Moiso will need to add bulk to his lean frame and will also need to develop a "pet move" in the low post. His post game could use some polish and refinement, but the potential is clearly there.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

7. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Moiso is very quick for his size so he got a lot of easy shots in college around the basket. I saw him tore apart a pretty big and strong (but slower) Stanford front-line. He has a lot of talent but I haven't seen much fire in his belly. He definetly also is a little light and has a finese game (somewhat of a softy). I don't think he has very good floor sense nor passes that well--both of which KG excelled in right away so that should end their comparisons. He more reminds me of Marcus Camby minus a little of Marcus's height and knowlege of the game or raw Theo Ratliff, on the down side he also reminds me of Tony Battie.

I just don't know about his intensity or work ethic, but he has a lot of talent. He is in the ball park though (whether we should draft him), I am glad he declared.

------------------