1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Extra Extra! Read All About It! Miles and Swift To Go Pro...

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by DaneB, May 1, 2000.

1. DaneB

DaneB Member

This is great news for us Rockets fans. This will deepen the draft and give us more of a choice to pick from. According to NBATalk.com Darius Miles will go pro, read this and check out the article...

Miles to Enter Draft According to Chicago Tribune, Darius Miles will declare for the NBA draft today Miles, a 6-foot-7 McDonald's All-American from East St. Louis High in Illinois,averaged 22.1 points, 12.1 rebounds, 7.4 blocks and 3.4 assists a game last season while shooting 66.6 percent from the field and 49.7 percent from the free-throw line. Larry Butler, his AAU coach, said Miles will declare but "He won't be attending any of the NBA pre-draft camps, but will hold private workouts for scouts and general managers." "He'll be top five," Butler told the Chicago Tribune. "He is on a weight-training program with Bob Kersee, the husband of Jackie Joyner-Kersee, to build himself up.
    http://www.chicagosports.com/preps/content/story/0,1984,65510,00.html

Swift decides to go pro...

Stromile Swift decides to go Pro - According to HoopsTV: After insisting earlier that he will stay in school, the 20 year-old LSU forward has come full circle and decided to put his name in the big hat. Apparently Stromile has leaned towards entering the June 28 NBA draft since learning that teams view him as a high pick (sure lotto, possible top 5)...supposedly the earlier denial was just to keep the agents at bay. After the season ended, those in Swift's camp have been consistently calling NBA teams and league officials to gauge the big man’s stock. He has until May 14 to declare for the draft and has until June 21 to pull his name out – as long as he doesn’t hire an agent.
    http://www1.hoopstv.com/daily_media/index.cfm?article_id=357

------------------
    The clock is winding down, and Scottie has the ball, Cato is sprinting towards him, Pippen shoots and here comes Cato. Man did you see that block?!!! Ouch it hit Scottie right between the legs. ITS FINAL!! THE ROCKETS ARE THE CHAMPIONS OF Y2K!!!

2. popeye

popeye Member

Thnx for the update,Dane.

It never ceases to amaze me how many (last count I have is about 36 or 37) who will assuredly "go top five".

If they keep this up there won't be enough players for the ninth pick. They'll all be at the one to five spot! LOL

[​IMG]

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My current top 5 (assuming Mihm declares, and no one jumps into the top 3)

1. LAC-Kenyon Martin
    2. CHI-Chris Mihm
    3. ORL-Stromile Swift
    4. VAN-Marcus Fizer
    5. ATL-Mike Miller (toughest one.....Moiso, Miles, Alexander, or Johhnson could go here, and one of those 4 at least will fall to us.)

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

That Swift reference is somewhat dated. When either of them declare there will be no question.

------------------

5. DaneB

DaneB Member

With the recent entries into the draft, anybody have a guess at who would be available at our pick?

------------------
    The clock is winding down, and Scottie has the ball, Cato is sprinting towards him, Pippen shoots and here comes Cato. Man did you see that block?!!! Ouch it hit Scottie right between the legs. ITS FINAL!! THE ROCKETS ARE THE CHAMPIONS OF Y2K!!!

6. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

The more we mock draft the more it has become apparent I might as well wait until May 15 (I think the deadline for declaring/entering). I tried to figure out who we might get earlier but too much is changing now. I will say the inclusion of Miles and Swift add a lot to the draft. Still havn't heard about a few other college players and Hsclrs. I still have a hard time believing Mihm, or say Haywood (if Mihm doesn't), won't come out when they would get almost a guaranted top 4 pick this year but maybe not next. This is what brought Swift and Fizer out too. I think Woods would have come out too if not for his injuries threatening his draft status too much. Finally, to say one more point, I think we may very well get a chance at good player like Demarr, Miller, Moiso or Mo Pete. So we will be able to take a pretty solid player or trade a very valuable draft pick--which just two weeks ago seemed more tenous because it looked like the best we could do was make a good pick out of promising sleepers.

------------------

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well a weak draft is getting to be much..much better

Now if we could just get some lotto ball luck.

DaDakota

------------------

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

sir scarvajal,

You might as well wait until after the draft order has been completely established on May 21.

------------------

9. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

NW, I heard players can even wait to see how the lotto ball bounces before declaring/ retracting. I think this is the case but I am surprised that the NBA would allow players to get an idea who will draft them before making finals decisions (e.g., if Mihm doesn't want to go to Chi or LAC allow him to retract if those teams get the top 2 slots).

Is there a dealine for declaring (e.g., 15th) and a seperate deadline for retracting as long as you don't have an agent (21st??)

------------------

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I know the undeclare date is after the Chicago camp (which is the final camp, right?). I am guessing May 28th.

Those players that undeclare will likely be those that find out they are late first round picks at best. Of course, said players would be drafted by the best teams in the league in the late first round, so while they might make less money and see less PT, they will be on a quality, playoff team for the duration of their rookie contract.

------------------