1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jim Boylan says....

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by RocketSiv, Apr 29, 2000.

1. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

I heard on the radio this morning that Rockets assistant coach Jim Boylan thinks we will end up getting 2 picks in this years draft. With the Orlando pick seeming unlikely it would mean it would have to be the Detroit pick and Detroit doesn't actually have bad draft position. That got me thinking that when looking at the draft pick you should not look at Detroit's draft position but rather Philadelphias. The pick is Detroit VIA PHILLY. Correct me if I am wrong, and I am pretty sure I am right, anyways that means Philadelphia has to send the pick to Detroit before they send it to us. So Philadelphia did not have a bad record so would it not be advantageous for Philly to send it to Detroit then on to us?

------------------

2. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Here's my understanding: It's Detroit's pick, given to Philly in the Stackhouse/Ratliff trade. Philly gave it to us for Turkcan. The pick is indeed via Philly, but it is still Detroit's pick. We would draft from Detroit's first round position, something like 14 or 15.

------------------

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Not to be a dork, but when he said '2' picks, I assumed he meant first round right?

Also, as this draft gets deeper and deeper, and more and more Grant Hill rumors come up:

I say we'll get 3 first rounders.

Perhaps not by May 21... Orlando will still look to see what luck they have with the #13. But (a conflict exists between CD and the Chronicle) I read (in the Chronicle) that Orlando could give us the choice they've made with the pick in place of the pick. Orlando isn't ecstatic about 3 lottery picks, and is rumored to only stick with 2. The Nuggets are the competition for the 3rd pick, and they suggested they would not even accept the pick.

Does anyone know the sequence of such an event?

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited April 29, 2000).]

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

With the possibility of picking several duds in the lottery, I'm not sure I'd want 3 of those picks either. Plus, then you'd have to worry about paying those guys lottery money. If anything, I'd think they'd try to move up in the lottery if they they think they can make some solid free agent acquisitions. They may be able to do this by getting rid of at least one of those lottery picks.

------------------
    ?

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The pick is Detroit via Philly for that @#$! Mirsad Turkan (what were we thinking when we drafted him?). And it's Detroit's option whether to give it to us this year or not.

BTW, the Turk has been on more rosters (3) than he has scored baskets in the NBA (2). Oh well, if we can get Rashard Lewis back we can make up for the mistake of not drafting him in the 1st place.

------------------

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Rudy must have smokin that Turkish weed. Tell him the stuff in Alief is alot better.

------------------
    Smokey sez "Stay in School!"
    [​IMG]

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Why can Denver refuse to accept the pick from Orlando? Are they allowed to do that and still be entitled to another pick later, or are they essentially saying, 'forget the whole thing.'

------------------

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JV-They're holding out for a later pick, perhaps next year, when the draft is looking INCREDIBLY deep (we're talking Terrence Morris at #13, for real)

Orlando has to offer the pick, but Denver doesn't have to accept it. However, I'm of the opinion, that Orlando will have a MUCH better team next year than this year, if they sign McGrady, Duncan, Hill, or Jones, etc. so, the question is if the #10 pick (what Orlando has offered I believe) this year, is worth less than about a #20 next year.

Denver still has a pick coming to them.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!