1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rocketfan34, tell us more about that draft day trade with LAC for their top 3 pick

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by TeXaSalsa, Apr 21, 2000.

1. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

Hmm
    That sounds intresting RF34.
    I wouldnt want kenny to go though. i would trade carlos and or drew and the #9 for the #5.

another thing that sounds intresting..
    the clips do have the #16 pick. drew has to be moved. maybe package him and carlos for the #16 pick and a good bench guy Tyrone Nesby? thats a very fair trade. the clips love drew and as much as i hate to send him to clipperland he needs starter's minutes to thrive. besides if martin/odom paly up to potential they have to win some games no matter how bad the owner is.

------------------
    --TEX

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't do that. If we want Moiso, he'll likely be available at #9. Just my speculation of where he'll go. Miles will go earlier however.

People ahead of Moiso for sure: Martin, Mihm, Fizer, Alexander, Johnson, Miles. (That's 6)

People that will go ahead of him in addition (likely): Pryzbilla
    (Totals 7 people)

50/50 chance of Moiso (The scrambled part, where people can go anywhere from 8-15, depending on team needs/workouts): Miller, Barkley, Dooling, Richardson, Peterson, Oyededji, 7'2'' foreigner.

That's just my opinion of things. I'm still saying Oyededji should be the guy we pick. Check his bio: http://www.telebasket.com/player_info.asp?id_player=5080

Won the Slam Dunk Contest? All Star Game MVP? Can put the ball on the floor, beat his man and finish? Big, strong, solid, runs and leaps like anybody around?

Also, he's improved his stats the last 2 seasons, and is only 19. Averaged 14.6 rebounds...His FT% was bad, but he got to the line his fair share...Not quite sure what "R P" and "S P" are....

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

3. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Interesting points about Oyededji. But winning the slam dunk contest in Germany is probably as cool as making the All-Convent Breakdance team.

Still, European leagues are practically on level with NCAA play, (as evidenced in the past olympics in the 80's) and those are some big accolades for a 19 year old. I don't think Turkcan had recieved awards like that when the Rocks picked him and he was 22-23. Wish I could see some videos of him.

------------------

4. outlaw

outlaw Member

Nesby is worth more than Drew/Rogers just by himself. The Clips have him locked up long term so you know they won't get rid of him in case Odom decides to bolt in 2003.

5. outlaw

outlaw Member

I don't think Moiso will fall to 9.
    Vancouver is looking to replace Othella
    and they like Pac-10 guys. I can see them picking him up at 4.

6. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

Apparently he isnt worth that much. he sat on the bench alot and the coach refused to play him after getting mad about Troy Hudson's waiving.

------------------
    --TEX

7. outlaw

outlaw Member

He sat on the bench so they could tank and get K-Mart. He still averaged 13 ppg.

8. popeye

popeye Member

This Rocket Organization will have the busiest trade seasion they have ever had in my opinion, however .......

The Rockets will not even begin the decision draft/trade offer/process on any of this stuff for a while yet. The scout staff and "special" project people are hard at work getting all the information, and I mean ALL the info on every available player and on every teams needs. But they haven't even started the " .... if this happens, we do this..." thingee yet.

Team priorities will shift every day with every new league development. Duncan status, Mobes progress, LAC Pick, Bulls and the McGrady offer, coach and team firings after the dust settles, etc... all will drastically effect what direction the Rockets go in a draft, in trades, signings and offers. And, that's if they even decide to use that draft pick. They may trade it away.

Surprises everyday starting after the Finals. Most important thing to remember: Do Not Believe The Press. Hell, half of them don't even understand the damn Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).

Examples of Scenarios:

If Cato and another player (Wiz,Drew,etc) become involved in an advantageous offer, watch CD and Co go after SamSo or Pryzbilla for the 5 center position. My guess is one of these guys will be there at the 7 to 12 spot.

If their draft spot is one where the best of the available players cannot help them right away, they will trade that pick away in a New York Minute. They are not married to the draft to grow. Never have been.(Well, lets leave the very, very,very lucky Hakeem situation which is the exception.)

If they have to,(and they probably will) the Rockets will go to $4.5M for Mobes, but more than that and we are talking about a sign and trade involving him going somewhere else. Mobes of course, can sign an offer sheet for an outrageous amount in the backdoor, and we may lose it all because we cannot match it.

If Moochie's agent starts shopping in in earnest, we may lose him too. Mooch has NOT committed to the Rockets for 2001, contractually, verbally or in any other way. As a matter of fact there are some important things that are hinging on his signing with us.

------------------
    "Let me get this straight .... we pay him $4.5 million dollars a year to play 82 games right? And, the other guy we pay $6 or $7 Million a year to stop the other team from scoring and maybe to score once in a while too!" ......... Popeye's darling sweetpea attempting to figure out WizBang and CaveInTo's role on the Rockets.

9. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

NIKE, Moiso will not last to nine becuase too many of the top teams need big men. Clips, Bulls, Orlando(Warriors), and Vancouver all need big men. That would mean Martin, Fizer, possibly Mihm and Moiso are all gone. If Mihm or Moiso doesn't come out, that means team 4 will lose out and still need a big man. That's where Kenny comes into play. They can get Kenny and another talented guard at our pick while the Rocks get the cream of the guards Darius Miles.

I wouldn't bank too much on Oyededji, I hyped him up last year, and he never did show up for the draft. So actually see if he stays for the draft. A lot of foreign players talk of the draft, but many don't actually follow thru with it.

------------------
    Now that the NBA season is over, check out the preimere source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, I'd like to see some video on Oyededji too. Well, since he won that contest, he's not a stiff. Dirk Nowitzki isn't THAT bad of a dunker (I dunno if he won any contests or anything). But, that shows that he's athletic, and tenacious.

popeye-Any new major rumors? What's the McGrady stuff? Also, SamSo=??

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Popeye, you aren't the first one I've heard say we'd do a sign & trade with Mobley if he wanted more than the $4.1 million we can offer him. Maybe you or someone else can explain to me how this works. We can only sign him to $4.1 million whether we keep him or sign & trade him, no? So, if he wants more money, we can't get anything for him. If he had any other problem with re-signing -- didn't like the city, wanted to start, whatever -- a sign & trade could accomodate him.

------------------

12. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Hey Rocketfan34:

Back in February, <a href="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/005673.html">you posted about a trade with the Clippers</a> that would give us a top 3 pick for Kenny + Drew + TMass + det 1st or orl first.

Do you know anything more about that possible deal?

Now that we know which lottery pick we are getting, have watched Kenny and Wiz improve, Martin get injured, Swift and Morris back out, possibly be able to pick up Lewis, would everyone still want to do this deal?

And who would you want to get with that pick?

13. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

That particular deal just about dead as far as I know. Clips are 70% intent on picking Martin if they get number 1 pick. I believe Mo is seriously ignoring Clips calls, so they ain't taking any chance, they picking a PF.

Now from what I hear, this deal has legit shot at happening.

Kenny + 9th for a 5th pick.

This is how we can get Miles/Moiso(still hoping he comes out). I know its steep, but you have to be willing to trade quality for quality. Then immediately sign Fortson thereafter is how I see it. Either go Miles/Fortson route, or Moiso/Lewis one.

------------------
    Now that the NBA season is over, check out the preimere source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

14. hakola

hakola Member

I'm hoping that that the Mobley situation will not come down to a money...I think if he should get the 3.8 mil next year and then after the Bird rights sign for 6-7 mil a year .

------------------