1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Few Americans Know First Amendment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rhester, Mar 1, 2006.

1. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Can it be argued that apathy is a sign that people are happy? Is it that uncommon for people to know about things they are interested in, as opposed to their rights in this country?

2. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Let me tell you the rest of the story.

I use this to illustrate a very important point. It gives me an opportunity to explain God to them by using the Ten Commandments. I also am able to find out how many break those commandments. Most are guilty of breaking some of them on a daily basis. (amazing?)

I then explain to them what will happen after they die. Since ten out of ten people die, they are always interested to hear what I have to say.

Then I explain why Jesus died on the cross- again most are surprised to hear a rational reason.

Finally the good part- I ask the person who lost the $5.00 (because they couldn't come up with all ten commandments) if he/she would still like to have the $5.00. Most say no I didn't get it right.

That's when I tell them I am offering it as a free gift. I then proceed to give them the $5.00 if they will come take it from my hand by 'faith'.

This allows me to explain God's grace in a way they can understand it. I have given away 'freely and undeserved' many $5.00 bills.

In one shopping mall I think I am known as the preacher who gives money away instead of asking for it. ;)

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

1. Freedom of speech - being curtailed

2. Freedom of Religion - Freedom FROM religion is a bigger thing than freedom of religion . . . people are trying to remove religion totally from society

3. Freedom of the Press - almost government run

4. Right to assemble - HA! the joke in my area was. . more than 3 black folx together and you are a gang. . . cause the cops were SURELY going to hassle you .

5. Right to petition the govt. - what EXACTLY does this one do. Petition the Government for what? help? nnaaaa. Inform? maybe

Rocket River

4. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I TOTALLY disagree. No school in the world prepares kids 100% for life. That is the responsibility of parents.

Put another way, if my kid isn't doing well in school... I'm taking it upon myself to get my daughter help. I won't rely on the school. More parents should take that attitude.

Yes, I agree schools are inadequate but if parents would be more active in their kids' education, eventually the school systems will fall in line.

But it is hard to get parents more involved with their children if they themselves don't even know what the 1st ammendment is or the 10 commandments.

Rhester, I admit I would fail your test too. But I don't come from a religious background. But it is hard to imagine that you've NEVER had anybody recite the 10 commandments. Sadly, that only adds to my skepticm about the state of religion in society today. Maybe you shouldn't have told me that. ;)

5. Fatty FatBastard

That's actually pretty cool. The way you first described it, I just thought that you were the weird guy that went up to a bunch of kids to screw with them.

6. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

That's a great point that success breeds apathy. The problem is that afterawhile apathy starts to become the enemy of sustained success. The challenge of any successful system isn't to become successful but to maintain it.

7. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Man I hate this crap.

Edit: And if I ever heard telling ghost stories to MY kid, you would be in big trouble.

#27 MR. MEOWGI, Mar 1, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  8. rhester

the servant is not greater than his Lord.

9. MR. MEOWGI

Whatever dork.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What is wrong with ghost stories? As a kid I listened to them, and told them all the time. I don't mean stories about religion. I mean ghost stories we told at sleep overs, summer camp, boyscouts, and whatever else.

You act as if telling ghost stories is somehow bad for your child. You can raise your children how you like, but why forbid them from hearing ghost stories?

11. MR. MEOWGI

As long as they know not to take them seriously it's fine. But if some old creepy guy is trying to scare my kid into following his wack religious ideas through ghost stories/supernatural scare tactics, that's a nothing more than a cult mentality. It's pretty obvious.

12. krosfyah

Dude, relax. Last time I checked, Christianity is not a cult.

I assume your kid isn't wandering the mall unsupervised so you are probably in the clear. ;)

If your kid isn't old enough to know to run away from a "creepy guy" (as you put it), then perhaps your kid shouldn't be wandering the mall by themselves, as rhester described. So if these kids are running around unsupervised at the mall, they probably could use a little more guidance anyway.

13. MR. MEOWGI

I consider certain Christian sects to be very cultish. The ones that continuously beg for people to think like them come to mind. "Come into my world and everything will be wonderful......lets get ready for death, it going to be super....Now lets all die together!.."

What? I drop my kid off at the mall and let him wander around for hours. He was practically raised by the fine people of Spencer's Gifts.

14. rhester

To clarify the mall situation: I personally view minors differently.
    At our mall I work with the Mall Manager and Security. I obviously don't want to disturb shoppers or have religious discussions with customers, they don't come to the mall to hear that and that wouldn't be right to the Mall Manager whose job is to get customers in the Mall.

So the Mall Manager told me they had issues with 'gangs' (they are not all in a name gang- sometimes they are just what the mall terms trouble makers) these are the minors (under age 18) I was talking about. The Mall Manager thought it would be helpful if I talked to these kids since she has watched them over the years and seen them 'parentless' and sometimes using drugs and shoplifting; also some cases of fighting.

Often I end up just talking to these teenagers listening to them and their views. It is interesting what kids' views are.

The 'religious' presentation is mostly received favorably and since there is no pressure to sign up or join up they are mostly interested and grateful.

Occasionally from college age and above I am told the 'get the xxxx away from me you xxxxing freak' but that is rare and I politely oblige. You don't force religion on people, at least it is not how it should be. You are sharing a message if someone wants to hear it.

It is a little like D&D but without the flinging. ;)

15. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

did you lose one of your star wars toys this morning?

16. krosfyah

Actually, that is exactly how I envisioned it. ;)

I was saying kids who wander the mall with no parental involvement probably could use some additional guidance since they clearly aren't getting it from home at that point.

...and that is basically what you just said. I respect that.

17. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

After not being able to recall the first amendment rights, 70% of poll respondants responded with "DOH!", while 25% responded with "Aye Carumba!"

18. krosfyah

Well, calling out rhester as a cult without knowing anything more about him is mean spirited. The guy is trying to make a positive influence in the world and you just crapped on him. People though Jesus Christ was a wacko too at the time...not saying rhester is Jesus...just saying you may want to have some restraint on bashing people if they are trying to make positive contributions in the world. Yes, some folks are wackos but some are true heros.

Well, then don't act surprised if some "wacko" approaches your kid in the mall.

19. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I thought Meowgi was open-minded... :confused: