1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Family Research Council: Helping poor, death penalty, war not important to Catholics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Batman Jones, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

FRC: Helping poor, death penalty, war not that important to Catholics

http://www.streetprophets.com/storyonly/2006/3/1/151711/5289

Family Research Council: Poor People, War Not That Important

by Chuck Currie

Wed Mar 1st, 2006 at 12:17:10 PDT

The Family Research Council’s Tom McClusky, responding to a statement issued by 55 Roman Catholic Democrats in the US House defending their faith, said in The Washington Post today:

"What is at the core of being Catholic is the life issue, and that's something the pope has never strayed from," he said. "While other issues are important -- such as helping the poor, the death penalty, views on war -- these are things that aren't tenets of the Catholic Church."

McClusky, a Roman Catholic himself, must have missed a few too many confirmation classes. The Catholic Alliance for the Common Good responded to his comments with this statement:

“Helping the poor has remained a basic principle of Catholic social ethics since the earliest days of our Church,” said Father Jim Hug, SJ, director of the Center of Concern and a Catholic Alliance participant. “Moreover, the Church’s present leadership has been unequivocal in its condemnation of the death penalty in the U.S., and has repeatedly expressed grave moral concerns over the Iraq War. It is disappointing that Mr. McClusky would use his position to suggest otherwise.” Mr. McClusky’s comments came as Pope Benedict XVI issued his message for Lent 2006, reflecting on “today’s rapidly changing world, in which our responsibility towards the poor emerges with ever greater clarity and urgency.”

“We believe that Mr. McClusky is wrong. He’s behind on 115 years of Catholic Social Teaching and 2000 years of gospel values.” said Sr. Simone Campbell SSS, National Coordinator for the Catholic social justice lobby organization NETWORK and a Catholic Alliance participant. “Obscuring the hopeful social message of the Catholic faith only serves to diminish the positive contributions our Church can make to a suffering world.”

#1 Batman Jones, Mar 2, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

3. Batman Jones

Good catch. I was riffing on the headline. It uses the words "not that important" which I think are consistent with him saying they're not tenets of the Church. He's wrong about that, of course, as I think most Catholics would agree. But yeah, if I could edit the thread title I'd change it to "not that important."

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I rely on the wingnuts and jackasses at the Family Research Council for important, family research related issues, such as self-righteous condmenation, intolerance and censorship - the cornerstones of any family existence.

5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

LOL

Batman, in his never ending journey to take pot shots at Christianity, apparently was so enthused about this article that he didn't bother to read it before posting it as a new thread!!! Then he gets totally PWN3D by Mr. Clutch.

Is this worse than the fraudulent Presidential approval ratings thread you created here recently?

All this from the guy who so casually calls people that oppose his beliefs 'liars' and treats them like the stupid people he thinks they are. I love it when it flies back in his face, like in these 2 threads.

Zero cred, Batman, ZERO cred.

6. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

How much difference is there between "not important" and "not that important"?

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Regardless of the difference, what Tom McClusky said isn't true. Even the original poster (Batman Jones) agrees that what McClusky said wasn't true.

8. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Poor Jorge

So wrong on so many issues WRT the war and Jr.

And he's calling Batman the one with no cred?

9. SamFisher

about that much.

10. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

haha :D

11. Batman Jones

Not for Jorge -- no point beating up on someone that declares victory every time he gets spanked -- but for the rest that might have been nonplussed by the CBS poll...

Quinnipiac has one out today that mirrors the CBS one and, in some ways, is an even more telling example of Bush's eroding support. Check the breakdown in the purple and red states.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x11367.xml?ReleaseID=880

12. Batman Jones

Also, I'm sure it's clear to anybody that actually read the article, but its premise (and mine in posting it) is that the fringe groups that align the Church with the current GOP do not always mimic the Church's most basic tenets, and in fact are often at odds with them. This article, and my posting of it, are pro-Christianity and anti-hypocrisy.

13. SamFisher

I will save jorge and texxx the troubles:

Quinnipiac is biased insofar as the eponymous Quinnipiac Indian tribes prior to the 17th century were the predominant inhabitants of all areas bordering Long Island sound on either side. As George W. Bush, a scion of wealthy Connecticut aristocracy dating back to Prescott Bush and prior, lived a life of luxury which was build on the backs of Quinnipiac tribal burial grounds, it is not surprising that they have an axe to grind. So their poll is basically just a smear job. The actual approval rating for Bush is 124% for, -27% against, since the america haters count for negative.

14. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Good lord people, how can you nitpick between "not important" and "not that important when he said this? I'm flabbergasted.

Abortion is a Catholic tenet, but helping the poor, the death penalty, and stance on warfare are not? Incredible stuff.