1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oh Canada

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Vengeance, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

<a href="http://www.nationalpost.com/search/story.html?f=/stories/20010724/626791.html&qs=water%20balloon">Water balloon hijinks result in assault charge</a>
    Teacher 'was wet'

Chris Wattie
    National Post

A high school student in Southwestern Ontario has been charged with assault with a weapon for throwing a water balloon at a teacher on the last day of school.

The 17-year-old boy, who cannot be identified under provisions of the Young Offenders Act, was charged after he lobbed a water-filled balloon at a group of fellow students standing outside a portable classroom at a London, Ont., high school.

"A teacher then walked out of her portable to talk to the students," said Constable Ryan Holland, a spokesman for London police. "She was struck from behind by a water balloon."

Const. Holland said the teacher went to the school's vice-principal, who called police. "We investigated and determined there were reasonable grounds to believe a criminal offence had occurred," he said.

"We laid the appropriate charge."

The teacher was not injured by the projectile, Const. Holland said, but he added: "She was wet. [Because] an object was used, the charge was assault with a weapon instead of common assault."

The youth's mother called the charge "ludicrous" and blamed the school board's zero-tolerance policy toward violence on school grounds.

"The policeman who charged him didn't agree with it, but he said his hands were tied," she said. "I mean, he still graduated, so how bad could it have been?"

Spokesmen for the school and for the London District Catholic School Board did not return telephone calls yesterday.

A conviction for assault with a weapon carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison.

Because the youth, who turned 18 shortly after the incident, was charged under the Young Offenders Act, he could face a sentence of up to two years in custody.

Const. Holland acknowledged that there is a board policy regarding school violence, but said such zero-tolerance policies are not binding on police.

"Our role is to deal with the complaint," he said. "And a criminal complaint was made in this case."

The boy's mother said he has never been in trouble with the law before this and was not a disciplinary problem at school.

"He's a popular kid, everyone likes him," she said. "I just don't understand this."

The youth's first court appearance on the charge is set for Aug. 3 in a London court.

This is a bit much. Heck, not a bit much, it's a LOT much. What ever happened to kids being kids and having fun . . . "You throw a waterbaloon, that's 2 years in prison" . . .

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Somebody give me a water balloon so I can throw it at his mother... [​IMG]

haha... Canada Rocks! [​IMG]

------------------
    "I'll tell you this, the older I get, the less I trust people. It's true. It's damn true." -- gr8-1 going through some growing pains.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I don't understand these stupid laws. She stepped in the way. There was no "assault".
    Sure, he purposely threw the waterballon, but not at her.

What next? Anyone that runs a light on "purpose" and hits someone can be charged with assault?

------------------
    "Where there is a will ... I want on it."

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. . . . it was a gateway weapon

forreal though . . their should be a
    severe punishment. . not this severe.
    the next person may shoot the sh*t out
    of this kid. . . then what?

Rocket River

------------------

5. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I'll also bet he didn't have a permit for that weapon either. [​IMG]

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams and Lisa Malosky fan club.

atheistalliance.org

6. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

In my high school days, I once threw a water balloon from the back pan of a rapidly moving pickup truck at an approaching car.

I aimed for the windshield but was off target, and it hit the driver's side mirror instead, totally shattering it.

Luckily, no one was hit by the shards of broken glass, but I had to pay $30 for the damaged mirror out of pocket.

------------------
    All hail Fadeaway's Cyberfish -- your 2000-2001 BobFinn* Fantasy Basketball League Champions!

7. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Not just Canada guys. My roommate had the same thing happen to him here in Colorado.

------------------
    Nuggets4
    Re-Sign Sakic, Blake and Roy! Sell the Nuggets!!

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Maximum penalty of ten years in prison?? Yeah, I can see that guy in the federal pen...

Inmate 1: So, what are you guys in for?

Inmate 2: Grand Theft Auto

Inmate 3: Yeah, I killed my wife after I found out she was cheating on me...what about you?

Inmate 1: Nothing big...I tossed a water balloon at my teacher while in high school...

Inmates 2 & 3: HEEEELP!! GET US OUT OF HERE!! THIS GUY'S A MANIAC!!

------------------
    Mein bratwurst has a first name, it's F-R-I-T-Z
    Mein bratwurst has a second name, it's S-C-H-N-A-C-K-E-N-P-F-E-F-F-E-R-H-A-U-S-E-N

9. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

more like

Inmate 1: So, what are you guys in for?

Inmate 2: Grand Theft Auto

Inmate 3: Yeah, I killed my wife after I found out she was cheating on me...what about you?

Inmate 1: Nothing big...I tossed a water balloon at my teacher while in high school...

:: Inmate 2 and 3 look at eachother ::
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Inmate 1: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, MMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM HELPPPPPPPP!

------------------
    "The early bird may get the worm, but so does the bird that finished off the tequila bottle the night before" :)