1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Save My Software

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JVoss, Jul 23, 2001.

Tags:
  1. JVoss

JVoss Member

I've been following this board since 1997 and I don't post very often, but I'm almost always here.

Several years ago I started working on a software project. I never got it as far as I wanted, but last year I sold it to a local company so that they could help me with development and marketing. In return I would do some work with them to help them build their new Tech Business. I continued to do everything on my software. Sales, support, development, web site maintenance, etc. and lot of it continued to be strictly on my own time. I put my blood, sweat, and tears into it.

Regardless of what you think of my software there is something that is really hurting me right now. The company never did enough to help me get the software off the ground and I was doing a tremendous amount of work for them at nearly half the salary and a third of what it would cost them at my consulting rates. This was because I really hoped they would take my software to the next level.

I left the company to go back to consulting because I just could not afford it anymore. The parent company has offered to let me buy it back. But if I can't, some of the others at the company are going to buy it for themselves. It seems that now that all of their other grand schemes have proved worthless my software all of a sudden becomes very interesting. The problem is that I don't have the money to buy it back.

I'm trying to raise enough money by contacting current customers and by selling subscriptions to my new software services here:

http://www.vsoftdev.com/itemaction.asp

What do you think? Is it hopeless? I know the web site isn't as good as it could be and I've never had the time to get everything done that I want to get done.

I'm really backed into a corner. I've worked extremely hard for many years and I really think I'm being taken advantage of by people who don't have the passion to develop software on their own and to provide it at a very reasonable price.

Thanks for your advice! (And, no, even though I probably could I don't want to take any kind of legal action).

And remember, the software will change hands. I'm not trying to take it away from a company that wants it. The company does not want it and it is myself and other individuals that have the option to get it. I have the first option, but I don't have the money. The original investment was only enough to cover my expenses in developing the software. I have nothing to buy it back with. My only choice is to offer more products and services in return for new sales that will generate enough money to buy it back or find a new investor (very hard, and I would rather not, but I have been trying to, and that's not what I'm looking for here).

2. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

JVoss -- I want to make sure this post doesn't get lost, so I'm going to post my initial thoughts on it:

Do whatever you can to save this software, and get it back. It looks like an EXCELLENT, high-quality piece of work that could be a real moneymaker.

I haven't looked at this too much, but I'll do so later and post again.

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."

3. JVoss

JVoss Member

Thanks Vengeance!

I'm getting all kinds of responses. I'll post some more information soon.

------------------
    "You ^WILL Love this game." -- NBA

4. JVoss

JVoss Member

OK,

Here's where I stand right now.

I've been in contact with one of my current customers who might be willing to secure the software for me in some kind of a deal. This is very preliminary. I think they are interested, but can't risk too much cash as they are currently expanding their business into Taiwan and China.

I've also been talking to an individual who has done software distribution for a long time to broadcast my plea to 10,000 VB developers. I'm kinda getting the run-around with him though. He contacted me about sending out an email, but he can't seem to settle on any terms.

I set up a new Subscription on my order page. I tried to make it clearly state that you can order a Standard Subscription for my source code release and make a donation to secure ItemAction source code. If I am able to secure it those people will get the source code. Standard subscriptions will get access to the Visual Basic UserControls.

http://www.vsoftdev.com/order.asp

I don't have time to discuss the value of the software, future release, and how everything will fit together on my web site. In a few weeks or months however this will be an incredible value not comparible to anything else. It will be kept up-to-date and older technologies will be upgraded to use newer and even more cross-platform ones. I already have several offers to help (by veteran developers) and to combine some additional products.

If you are at all interested in nTier Visual Basic and ASP development or applications like helpdesk, timesheet, or bug-tracking, please take a look.

I know that my 'competition' is supposed to be showing my software to investors this Friday in an effort to buy it for themselves. I need to get the momentum going ASAP!

Thanks for taking a look. I would never rip anyone off. I really only want to deliver a great product at a great price.

Sincerely,

Jamie T Voss

5. JVoss

JVoss Member

Well, this is pretty hopeless. Unless one of my current customers comes through to secure the software there is no way it will happen. I don't see any way that I'll get the subscriptions I need. I know if the ball started rolling it might pick up momentum, but this is a very tough sell and it just sounds so flimsy.

I did post a screenshot if anybody wants to look at the piece of software that is at the core of the dispute:

http://www.vsoftdev.com/itemx/images/screenshot.jpg

I designed and developed it all from scratch. I had one assistant for a few months that built some installation scripts and helped me maintain my help file, do some testing, etc. I also asked him to write me an Excel Tab UserControl (at that point I just didn't have the time, but really wanted it) and he put together a really nice one!

You can see some of the custom UserControls here:

http://www.vsoftdev.com/itemaction.asp?tab=order

I'm curious to know what you think ...

[This message has been edited by JVoss (edited July 24, 2001).]