1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any Coaches out there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DrNuegebauer, Jul 12, 2001.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Just finished up the local basketball competition and my team was kind of useless. We threw together 7 players at the start of the season and battled our way through (no chemistry) and got slaughtered on the boards due to our big guys lack of desire to box out.

Does anyone know any drills that can be used to practice rebounding? Also some sort of drill on how to play a press D and methods of breaking the press?
    Those were the the main struggling points for us last season.

We also "recruited" a new big man, but he's never played competiton basketball before, he's big and athletic, but what sort of basics are the most important to get down straight away? (he has good rebounding instincts) - I assume FT shooting and defensive positioning - but any advice on how to use him on O would be great too!

------------------

2. New Kid On The Block

Before you do these drills, be sure to give Mo Taylor a call.

------------------

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think I asked him for advice before the last season.....

------------------

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I don't know about rebounding, but the method I was always taught to break the press was this:

Guy under the basket, two players on the wings, player at half court, player around the free throw line of your basket.

Guy passes the ball in to whichever side he can get the ball in. Usually with the press, another defender collapses on the ball along with the man defender. If this doesn't happen, the ball handler dribbles it up one on one. If the ball handler gets doubled, he passes back to the player who passed in from out of bounds (who just took one or two steps inbounds).

At this points, both wing players release upcourt. If their defenders go with them, then the ball handler can bring the ball upcourt, one on one. If not, then the ball handler passes ahead to whichever wing is open. At this point, the offensive team should have the numbers, and have the ball around half court, at which point you just run a fast break.

During all of this, if the defenders come up from the other end of the court, keep in mind you have a player at half court and at your free throw line to lob to if he is open. Also, remember that pass fakes are very effective when combatting a press, because the defenders are on their toes, and looking to intercept passes. This makes it easy to get them off-balance with one or two key fakes.

Hope this was clear enough. I don't know much outside of this, but when run effectively, it broke even the most hard-nosed presses against us. The defending team usually gave up the press after the first two breaks, and subsequent layups. [​IMG]

------------------
    Rockets need power forward. Mo near now. Go near Mo.

You can Run from the bet, you can Rave at the bet...but you just can't hide.

[This message has been edited by Raven Lunatic (edited July 12, 2001).]

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I know Behad is a coach...I don't know if he's around any more [​IMG]

So what level do you coach?

6. New Kid On The Block

That explains everything.

------------------

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I don't really coach, I'm a mere player (we have no coach) - but if there's ever anything that's going to get done/ get taught to the team then it's pretty much up to me to figure it out [​IMG]

------------------

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The big revelation for me on rebounding was when a coach pointed out that 90% of shots from the wing come off of the other side. This simple revelation seemed to make all the difference.

I believe the standard break the press drill is where you set up one group in a faux press, and make the other group get the ball up the court and lay it it without dribling. Also point out what the other team is trying to accomplish so your team knows what to avoid (I.E. Half-Court trap uses the sideline and the half court as barriers, so don't let them drive you to the sidelines.) The way to make the other team stop pressing is to show them that you will make them pay by scoring easy baskets. Make sure they understand this.

The only rebounding drill I remember is the one where you throw the ball off of the backboard/side of the rim and make one guy box out the other until the ball bounces for say, two bounces. This will get them thinking about boxing out, and premote good team rebounding.

Young big guys tend to be foul machines on the defensive end. Make sure he understands not to try and block every shot - ie keep your eyes on the torso to avoid fakes, etc.

I wouldn't waste too much time with the fg shooting, as it will most likely take him several years to figure it out, but make sure he learns early never to bring the ball below his head, dribble the ball, or gather himself before putting it back up. A good way to accomplish this is throw the ball off the backboard and have him grab it get the 'rebound' and put it right back up. Lots of repetition will establish this great habit for young big guys to have.

------------------

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Thanks RunninRaven, I think I got my head around how that is to work - presumably one would want a good long passer inbounding the ball!
    I'll make sure this gets a fair wokout!

------------------

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Made a world of difference to Charles Barkley, too. He said the same thing and said what was key to his rebounding was boxing out on the opposite side of the shot.

------------------
    "I'll tell you this, the older I get, the less I trust people. It's true. It's damn true." -- gr8-1 going through some growing pains.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Otto;
    did you mean that 90% of shots bounce off the ring the opposite side to which they were shot?

Thanks for the advice with the young guy!

------------------

12. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Yes

------------------

13. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

I just found a link to a page with links to coaching pages. Most of the links I tried seem to have high quality information, theory, and drills. Here it is:

Michael Wells Basketball Coaching Information

Wow this is fun! I gotta find a team to coach. Here's a cool page with a great flash animation describing a motion offense with lots of great information mixed in.

[This message has been edited by Ottomaton (edited July 12, 2001).]

14. Kimble14

Kimble14 Contributing Member

Here's a list of about 50 rebounding drills, 7 of which work on boxing out:

http://www.bbhighway.com/download/drills/Rebounding/

Other than having someone miss jumpers, someone trying to get the rebound, and someone boxing out, the idea behind most of thee drills is something like this (taken from "Two Man Box Out"):

Place the ball on the floor and let Player 1 stand three feet away, facing the ball. Player 2 stands directly behind Player 1 and also faces the ball. On the coaches whistle, Player 2 tries to touch the ball within 10 seconds. Player 1 must prevent Player 2 from touching the ball by keeping his body in front of Player 2.

In short, what Ottomaton said. [​IMG]

For detailed books (particularly on zone presses), you might want to also try looking in university libraries (especially ones that offer teaching degrees). If you don't have privileges at a nearby school, you can also try an interlibrary loan from your public library. I don't know how typical this is, but any Nashvillian can check out books from 10 local universities from this site:

http://www.library.vanderbilt.edu/athena/

Hope this helps!

------------------
    ...just another Langhi fanboy on the run from the CriscoKiddies

15. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

We used to do a 3-on-3 rebounding drill where a shot was missed and the goal of the defenders was to box out their man long enough for the ball to bounce off the floor.

Simplistically, the way to break a press is to face it imbalanced and reverse the ball. In other words, if facing a 1-3-1 press come at it 2-2-1. When the ball is inbounded to one side or the other of the lane, the opposite midcourt player breaks to center court area and upon receiving the pass moves it on to one of the teammates moving upcourt still. Simple but it works. No dribbling until the midcourt area- so trapping is hard.

------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."

16. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I called Behad and this is what he told me:

Line up all the players on one side of the lane except for one player on the other side. The side with the players lined up starts with the first person tossing the ball off the backboard and over the rim so that it goes to the other side. As soon as he tosses, he has to move to the other side and box out the lone player. He must box out, get the rebound, and pass the ball to next person in line. Meanwhile he is now the "boxee" for the next guy in line. This is a speed drill, and should be done quickly two or three times each direction.

Another good one is plain, old fashion desire. Get them fired up, get them screaming how badly they want the ball, then toss it up and see who gets it.

Individually, I'll take....I mean Behad will take a player and go one on one with him. The drill is to have the player watching for the rebound as I move around the floor. He has to find me AND the ball at the same time. This gets them into the habit of finding someone to box out at all times.

One last thing. Rebounding comes natural to some players and others...well, others are named Cato.
    I always try to put the kids in a position to excel. Rebounders play closer to the basket, regardless of their size.

------------------
    It looks like a veteran can Be had.

[This message has been edited by Newbiehad (edited July 12, 2001).]

17. Steve_Francis_rules

Have the new kid practice the Mikan drill (shooting one handed layups from underneath the rim, alternating sides) so that he can at least make layups and short hooks.

------------------