1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Tech v. texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fatty FatBastard, Oct 16, 2005.

1. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

dang whats up with all these cheap shots at tech?

You guys act like we're Texas State or something

We beat you guys just 3 years ago!!!

I know I was there!

Yes, Tech has had an easy schedule. But their schedule is no differnt than UT's outside OSU.

You guys aren't playing world beaters out there. They beat OSU okay good win, they beat OU so what they suck its about time, and they beat tech which they suck according to this board...

And you guys are talking rose bowl???

Funny I think UT has a special team that just killed a pretty a good team in TTU. But why do you guys feel you deserve to play in the national championship if OU is garbage and TTU should be playing divison 2???

They just have one good win from what I'm gathering here..
    I'd put VT over UT based on you guys logic. Make your case...

Nothing would make me happier to see UT win out, Vince get heisman. And UT finish 3rd in the BCS. Than Vince decides to go pro. You guys deserve that...

2. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Um are you talking about the same Texas Tech University that I am???

They finished ranked (16) something that UT failed to do. Perhaps your talking womens hoops??? Tech finished a whopping 1 spot behind the great University of Texas.

You might want to think before you spit stupid stuff like that... ;)

3. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Most Texas fans like Tech, especially when you guys bring the hammer to the Agroids.

4. Fatty FatBastard

I was in enemy territory today.... Let everyone know that when I have a bad day, the world is going to feel it... hence the Astros.

Manny................

A bet is a bet, and I've already paid out on everyone but ours.

Do what you will.

5. MManal

MManal Member

It is a great time to be a Texas Longhorn football fan (or for that matter basketball and baseball as well, but thats for another thread). I have never seen a Texas team this talented, well coached and dominant. I dont think we are going to lose this season (even to USC), and an absolute golden age could be unfolding in Texas football as the team is on top once again in recruiting (yes bigtexxx, in the rivals rankings you are obsessed with, Texas is #1 for 2006), Mack Brown has finally realized that crappy coordinators like Carl Reese wont get it done and the team has developed a major edge and chip on its shoulder with big wins starting from last yr's Rose Bowl. This huge turnaround in mental attitude and toughness can be attributed both to bringing in good coordinators (Robinson and Tomey for last yr's team) and then Gene Chizik this season along with Vince Young's confidence and fearless play rubbing off on everyone.

This definitely will not be a one year stint of dominating, the Longhorns have a chance of being on top of the Big 12 for a while with the major attitude change in the program to go along with the ridiculous talent. Next season, if Vince Young comes back, the Longhorns should be able to challenge for a NC once again (hopefully going for back to back championships). It is true that they will be losing 4 starters on offense (Scott, Allen, Thomas and Carter) along with 4 starters on defense (Wright, Harris, C Griffin and Huff), but the team has extremely viable replacements for each one of those players due to its excellent depth along with retention and development of the players recruited. This team is not going to have an OU style drop off. Aggies, Red Raiders, Sooners, etc. better get used to this.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

If Vince leaves, you'll be starting a qb whose last game snap was in 2A football. Better make sure VY stays, because the qb recruiting has not been successful the past 2 years and it's not looking good this year unless something changes.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, yes they are. And so is the rest of the country. And so are the BCS computers. Hell, Corso has Texas ranked ahead of USC. It's pretty much a given that if the top 3 teams win out, Texas will meet USC in the Rose Bowl. I think that's the reason those guys "are talking rose bowl."

Sorry, but gimmick offenses and patsy schedules will never get you into college football's upper eschelon. You can brag about laying 80 on an injury-riddled Sam Houston State team but now you see what it got you.

8. Major

Major Member

I think his point was that if we're saying out opponents suck so much, how can we simultaneously be saying we're so great and should be in the Rose Bowl. It's a fair argument. I've never understood the "OVER-RATED" chant. All it means is the fans are saying "we only beat you so bad because you suck" instead of "we're THAT good".

I dunno - for where Tech started (unranked, middle of the pack team) to #2 in the Big 12, and probably 10-1 and top 10 at the end of the year, it worked pretty well.

That gimmick offense would have more likely scored 24 points on the UT defense if not for a stupid interception on their part. 24 would have been better than anyone else has done against us, and they put together some good drives throughout the game. Tech's problem when facing us is (1) their defense vs. our offense and (2) less overall talent. Tech got beat by a better team, but their system can and does work (see vs. #4 Cal last year, who had a top-10 defense).

9. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Texas State would give tech a better game then yall gave Texas..... i gurauntee that much.

like i said, tech's program is a JOKE, and will ALWAYS BE A JOKE. but let us know how that "5 wideouts double-reverse flea flicker hail mary" play works out at the alamo bowl.

10. Major

Major Member

Umm, the Fiesta Bowl has already said they are very interested in Tech. At worst, they would end up in the Cotton Bowl. That "gimmick offense" blew out the #4 team in the country in the Holiday Bowl last year and will likely lead Tech to a top 10 ranking to end the season. Top 10 is now a joke?

11. ima_drummer2k

Actually I think his "point" is that he's pissed off because his team just got drubbed by one of it's biggest rivals. They got a little taste of their own medicine and I don't think he's too happy about it.

The "OVER-RATED" argument is predictable. It usually happens as a last resort argument when your team takes it on the chin and you have nothing better to fall back on. I don't understand it either. You're basically saying "you beat us but that's no big deal becase we suck." :confused:

I'm really speaking long term, not one year. Look at Kansas State. They made a living scheduling weak non-conference teams and they had a pretty good run in the 90's. But long term, what did it get them? One Big 12 Championship game in which they lost to A&M. That's all they have to show for their "run."

Quick, what's the first thing you think of when you think of Texas Tech? Quick! Solid program? Not me. Gimmick offense? Yes.

12. Major

Major Member

Huh? *We* were chanting overrated about Tech. It makes no sense as a fan chant.

Tech has a history of playing some of the toughest schedules in the country. This year was a one year fluke. They play 1 or 2 ranked teams in non-conference almost every year. They (and ABC) wanted to play at Michigan this year. Michigan, like most other teams now, refuse to play home-and-homes with Tech because they have a good shot of losing. So Tech couldn't schedule anyone. If you're looking at the "long term" as you say, K-State is probably the worst comparison you could make. Besides which, K-State had a run of 4 or 5 years in the Top5 in the country. That's as much as we've done so far (hopefully that changes this year).

Well, then you don't pay much attention to college football. They've improved almost every year since Mike Leach got there and top teams are now scared to death to play them. You don't build a program in a nowhere, no-name school in 2 or 3 years. It takes time and they are definitely on the right track.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

#7 in the nation, baby! :D

14. MManal

MManal Member

I would say considering Mack Brown's track record of keeping players in school that VY will probably come back for one more season. Ricky Williams, Roy Williams, Rod Wright, Derrick Johnson and Jonathan Scott were all players that could easily have gone pro a year early and made millions but instead opted to come back for their final season.

15. ima_drummer2k

I was referring to *rocketfan83's* argument that Texas is overrated.

You make a valid point about teams being scared to play them. That is definitely a factor that I and others neglect to mention when talking about SOS.

I disagree with Tech being "a program in a nowhere, no-name school" before Leach arriving. Tell that to Spike Dykes.

16. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

ding ding ding...nice call miss cleo

17. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

hell yeah baby! i was there for homecoming last week (great time, as usual...). we were up 45-3 when i left right before halftime.

it's pretty exciting. we actually have a good chance at building a solid program. now recruits may actually want to come here for football related reasons ;) .

18. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

Texas State is kicking some ass this year. legit national championship contender for 1-AA. good game last night, great atmosphere too in an impressive 31-16 win over NW LA.

19. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I never said Texas is overrated. Now if I just read this board than I say UT is ovverated because you guys think OU and TT are terrible teams. But I do watch college football and I know better. I called UT a special team earlier and I do believe that...

How exactly is Tech a joke??? So what we have a gimmicky offense but until Tech is stopped for a entire season why stop running it? The fans have fun with it. It's bringing top recruits in the country at QB, and more importantly the team is WINNING with it.

I believe this team has 3 consective bowl victories. And they've beaten every team in the big 12 the last couple years (including aTm and UT). The only team they've failed to beat is OU, which just about everybody has including UT until this year. I'd say theres a real good chance TT will beat OU here in lubbock coming up in a few weeks

Fine we will be happy with the Alamo bowl. I'd be happy with that I'd make the trip down there. So Tech is not going be in a BCS game so they're a joke?

I'm not pissed about something I saw coming. Ya I was hoping for a close game, it didn't happen so what a loss is a loss. I never really had any hopes of Tech beating UT in Austin.

We are ranked again around 16. That is where they belong like I said there a good football not a great one. Tech should win out, at most 1 more loss. Be ranked in the top 12 or so at the end of the season. Which equals a good season.

I'm not pissed about anything, I'm really just confused on where all this disrespect comes from. Tech has been one of the best teams in the big 12 since Leach got here. And one of the best teams in the big 12 since Bobby got here.

I can see why the hate is there. We have Mike Leach who many believe run up the score, and of course theres Knight who is one of the most hated people in sports.

But they get the job done. You guys dont have to like them I probaly wouldnt if they weren't here. But they have accomplished alot at TT. Its impossible to ignore that.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Everyone chill..let's talk about the REAL story of the Big XII this weekend:

BAYLOR TAKING OU TO OT IN NORMAN!!!!

they're getting better....SIC 'EM!!! :)