1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

world hunger, pollution, and war....b/c of developed countires?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by VinceCarter, Oct 17, 2005.

1. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

i don't know anything about Mugabe...but Chavez is a better leader than those who governed before him....i lived in Venezuela before Chavez got in power and it was a mess....if you weren't white you had no chance of getting anywhere….that’s scary to me….and for some reason nobody gave a sh*t….…I know there are more important issues than race but still that kind of blatant racism is unacceptable in the 21st century….but it went unnoticed

So please don’t make those kinds of judgments without knowing what’s really going on in those countries ….I’m not saying Chavez is a perfect leader…but he has done a lot for the people…and is widely supported by the majority in Venezuela.

2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Not only should we end farm subsidies, we should end all corporate wellfare. If a business cannot compete without the government bailing it out, then that business needs to be replaced with one that can, and besides farms that includes things like the airline industry. Eventually, the market should work itself out. Wages will be whatever people are willing to work for and goods/services will cost whatever people are willing to pay.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Then we can also recind all the tax breaks for Corporate America as well. I agree with you, StupidMoniker. Big business doesn't need the "help."

As for Mugabe?

Crime against humanity : the case for urgent action on Zimbabwe

Sokwanele Release : 17 October 2005

Where a population is suffering serious harm, as a result of internal war, insurgency, repression or state failure, and the state in question is unwilling or unable to halt or avert it, the principle of non-intervention yields to the international responsibility to protect.

'International Responsibility to Protect' (adopted at the World Summit, New York: September 14-16, 2005)

The potential for mass starvation in Zimbabwe is now so real and close that Cardinal Wilfred Napier, President of the Southern African Catholic Bishops' Conference, and Archbishop Pius Ncube of Bulawayo have both, separately, called on the United Nations' Security Council to take responsibility for the crisis and act immediately.

They stress that, if the organisation does not respond quickly and decisively to ensure that food aid comes into the country and is distributed fairly to all communities without political interference, it will become complicit in the rapidly unfolding humanitarian disaster.

Cardinal Napier joins his brother cleric of the Roman Catholic Church in Zimbabwe and other regional church leaders in branding the Mugabe regime guilty of a crime against humanity in relation to the politicization of food, and in calling upon the international community to act.

Cardinal Napier was part of a South African Council of Churches delegation which, on visiting Zimbabwe in July to assess the scale of the humanitarian crisis caused by Operation Murambatsvina, expressed shock and outrage. Under the guise of restoring order, the government's controversial operation to "Drive Out the Filth" destroyed the homes or jobs of at least 700 000 people and the lives of 2.4 million others, affecting almost a fifth of the population - currently estimated at 11 million. The informal economy, which fed 40 percent of the people, was wrecked. The International Crisis Group estimates that Zimbabwe's internal refugee problem is between four and five million. A further 3,5 million people are estimated to have fled the country, mainly to countries within the Southern African Development Community (SADC), notably South Africa.

Also in July, the Executive Council of the Methodist Church of Southern Africa noted: "There is little doubt that we are witnessing a tragedy of unprecedented enormity. We have on our hands a complete recipe for genocide." They went on to urge the international community to act "vigorously" to expose the tragedy of Zimbabwe.

Although the international community has continued to drag its heels in this regard, a mechanism by which it can take action is in fact available.

The Treaty of Rome is the statute governing the International Criminal Court, and Section 7 (2) (b) of that statute defines "extermination" (a crime against humanity) as "the intentional infliction of conditions of life, inter alia, the deprivation of access to food and medicine, calculated to bring about the destruction of part of a population."

David Coltart, secretary for legal affairs of the opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC), has already said "there is no doubt … this regime is guilty of constructive intent to deprive people of access to food which will in turn destroy a part of the population." In a letter to colleagues he wrote: "The Mugabe regime knows that its brinkmanship with the UN and the WFP regarding the question of who will distribute UN food … is delaying the supply of desperately needed food aid. People are now starving, and no doubt many are already dying as a result throughout the country." This he cited as evidence of the regime's "gross negligence and callousness."

On June 30, 2005, James Morris, director of the World Food Program, said at the United Nations that southern Africa was the world's gravest crisis at present, and that Zimbabwe was the epicentre. The UN's World Food Program lists the number of people in need of food aid in Zimbabwe as between four and five million. The Mugabe regime has consistently denied that the country faces food shortages and has refused to appeal for help formally from the World Food Program.

http://www.sokwanele.com/articles/sokwanele/crimeagainsthumanity_17oct2005.html

Sorry it took me a bit to get back to this... I'm attempting to forget the last game of the Astros by playing Age of Empires III. I heard rumors that they were considering a new RTS... "Age of Bush: World of Chaos."

Keep D&D Civil.

4. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

All other countries subsidize their industries. Stripping US companies of any help might not be the best idea.

5. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I have not read it, but it looks like an interesting book.