1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rumor] Clemens/Damon test positive for steroids...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by countingcrow, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its not really sketchy... there's a distinct separation of the two types of steriods.

Catabolic steriods are cortizone, hydrocortizone, prednisone... basically any corticosteriod given in order to reduce the inflammatory response. You can't give too much of them because it puts the patient at risk for Cushing's disease, thus that is why Bagwell couldn't just take a shot every week to help his shoulder. They also can make on immunosuppressed.

Anabolic steriods are basically the components that make up testosterone... and that is what the athletes will use to gain muscle mass, and gain increased energy to excercise/work out/lift weights.

If the pro leagues can't make use of simple tests that deliniate between the two types of compounds, they really don't deserve to "police" themselves because its not that hard.

Things that would be more questionable (and harder to detect) are things like HGH because it is always in constant flux... but that's a lesson for another time.

2. micah1j

micah1j Member

This is so big all the radio stations are talking about it. MLB is talking about it. Newspapers are tlaking about it. Why can't we talk about it on a messageboard.

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's another baseless rumor.

4. ruddy5

ruddy5 Member

Hope it's false. :(

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Really? I didn't hear anything about it today and I listen to 610 or 790 throughout the day on the radio. I also don't see anything about it on the Chronicle's site, or espn.com. I hardly think everybody is talking about this like you say.

6. micah1j

micah1j Member

They talked about it on 610 this afternoon. A caller said he heard it several sports talk shows on his drive down from Dallas today. They went on for a bit but said they needed to stop talking about it. MLB issued a statement denying anything was iminent last week. Rumors come and go but when they have legs like this there is something to them.

7. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

This has been a big rumor for the last couple weeks. The boston herald put out an article about a week and a half ago citing mutliple source in baseball that said two big name players had failed their drug tests and were going through the appeals process. Multiple authors on espn.com including gammons and neyer have alluded to the same rumor in articles or in chat. Mike and mike on espn radio have been discussing the same rumor of two big name players for over a week and michael kay on wfan also broadcasted a more specific rumor that the two player were from seperate leagues and one was a sure fire hall-of-famer whose announcement would "bring baseball to it's knees." These current rumors of the players invovled are the first time specific players were named, but the rumor has been hot for the last couple weeks. I guess we'll know for sure soon.

8. slickvik69

slickvik69 Contributing Member

Dang if this is true I kinda wished Roger would've retired after the 2003 World Series, for his own sake and the sake of his legacy.

9. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Hey, thanks for clearing it up a bit, Dr. Nick. :)

I suppose I could've researched it myself, but that would have involved...effort.

And if there is another "big name user" and it's not just a rumor (I think it's not true), I'll go ahead and change my vote from Julio Franco last week and just go with Sosa.

10. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I will prefer it is Prince Albert (I hate the Cards and CUbs pationately).

That will be sad.....and in fact now I am afraid for Roger.

I love Roger and I will be mighty disappointed. He is human anyway.....let me stop before it gets out of hand.

Could this be? Baseball great go to ashes or close to it in 7 months Span?

Roger/Pujols
    Bonds
    McGwire
    Sosa
    Palmeiro
    Giambi

Wow this will be an all time low - I hope this rumour remains a rumour and goes away calmly.

11. sydmill

sydmill Member

thanks for the explanation nick. i just cannot believe that roger would have taken anabolic steroids (that was for you nick!). as was said earlier, why in the heck would he have ever come back knowing the witch hunt that was going to go down. granted one could say there are 20 million reasons, but the man is already filthy freakin rich and was hesitant to extend his career in the first place b/c he wanted to make sure his mom could see him enter the hof. while at times i am skeptical, i still believe some things are more important than money. please dont let this be true.

12. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Check out Justice's column today. Selig's now on the record as saying Clemens didn't test positive.

So it's either not true, or Selig's an idiot (either one is possible).

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3317099

By the way, 50?

I didn't know that many had tested positive ... when are they going to release the names?

13. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I believe names are released after the offending players completely exhaust all their appeals.

I heard it took Rafael Palmeiro over a month to go through appeals before his name was released/leaked. By that calculation, it means that Palmeiro first possitive test probably came around late May to mid June.

I will like to see an independent take over the testing process for MLB. I wouldn't mind if Congress steps in.

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

790am this morning was also talking about the Clemens/Damon rumors. This rumor has really taken off.

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Justice was just on 610 and he said that Selig told him there is 1 player who has tested positive for steriods in the appeal process right now, but he is not a star player.

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's not even a "rumor." It's open talk show lines where a few gullible people say "I read on the internet that someone heard on the radio that" and the hosts play along with the hypothetical situation for a little bit.

It doesn't even come close to having "legs" until an actual media source says they have sources that indicate Clemens might have a problem. The only "sources" so far are a few random internet guys claiming "I heard it on the radio" and then a few people in the Houston area calling it into 790 and 610 to ask about it.

For example, these are just a few examples of things heard "on the radio" in the last month:

"Dunn/Mercker for Astacio/Nieve/Buchholz is almost a done deal!"
    "Ken Griffey Jr. is a New York Yankee!"
    "Ron Artest is on his way to the Houston Rockets!"
    "Juwan Howard is going to retire from his heart condition!"

etc. This isn't worth anyone's time.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

Some guy named booch, on ESPN radio, just said that Clemens passed both of his drug/Teroid tests. Is isn't him.