1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Righty on his way Backe

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chuichuitrain, Aug 4, 2005.

1. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASAp...t_id=1156343&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

PHOENIX -- Brandon Backe tested his strained intercostal muscle in earnest on Wednesday when he threw 40 pitches during a bullpen session, and, for the most part, he was pleased with the outcome.
    "It was very positive," he said. "I threw 40 pitches, and 35 felt great. The last five, I started getting fatigued and started to feel it. But I reached the limit that we wanted to reach today and it wasn't just a light session. It felt good."

Backe threw long toss on Tuesday without incident, but he was looking forward to testing his pitching motion the next day to see how the strain in his abdomen area responded.

Backe went on the 15-day disabled list on July 28, retroactive to July 25, and is eligible to be activated on Aug. 9. He will throw side sessions every other day until that date, at which time he will be re-evaluated.

"Everyday activity, I feel fine," he said. "I haven't done much as far as strenuous movements. Sneezing hurts bad. Other than that -- coughing, I feel it -- but it doesn't hurt too bad. Sneezing kills it. Throwing did hurt, but it feels better."

The right-hander is 8-7 with a 4.93 ERA this season and was 2-1 with a 3.42 ERA over four starts in July before he began his DL stint.

2. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

"Brandon on his way Backe" would've been better.

:p

3. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

He might even have some competetion when he gets back. :cool:

4. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I love Backe, but I also love the fact he may have to earn his spot back.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you mean "he may have to earn his spot BACKE"

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :)

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah..it wasn't good. :)

8. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

either way, with backe coming back, and zeke and wandy looking like they belong, i'm excited about bullpen possibilities once we reach the offseason. last season backe was amazing in october, but we still lacked a 4th starter or any bullpen help other than lidge, forcing us to start pete munro. this season, pettite has been amazing as well, and alongside clemens and roy o, they make a very formidable trio.

what do you think about zeke or wandy in the bullpen? do you think they'd be more effective this way than as starters?

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Leave Backe out until the other guys mess up. They've been pitching better than he was anyway. Not trading him may have been a mistake.