1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jose Cruz Jr. designated for assignment by D-Backs

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Jul 27, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions

The D-Backs have 10 days to release, trade, or send to him to the minors. The Astros could have him for free if he clears in waivers in 10 days which he should since the money he makes. The D-Backs could trade him but they would have to pay all or most of his salary.

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

3. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I love the guy's defense and his Houston roots. He just hasn't shown any signs of imrovement over the last few years to convince me he could be a contributer on this team.

When he was a free agent, his dad was pushing hard for us to sign him, but i think Drayton thought the same thing. There's just not much untapped potential there. I'd rather have a Lane or Burke who are at least are proving they can improve.

I don't see him as a bat of the bench. All he could really do for us is pinch run and play the outfield in the 9th inning to help protect the lead with his defense.

4. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Maybe gets rejuvenated playing for his hometown team. If he becomes a free agent, he would have to sign for the minimum so there is a low risk, high reward situation. He is a great defense player with a cannon for a arm. He also walks a lot and his OBP is .347 even though his BA is .213. At worst he is insurance in case someone gets hurt.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If he goes 'free' it would be time to bring the man home.

6. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

That great HR against the Nattys aside, how about sending Bruntlett down? He's hitting beneath the mendoza line.

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Even in Burke's "hot streak" in the last month or so, his OPS is around .660 in that stretch. That's unacceptable for a corner outfielder if you're hoping to contend. Cruz, for all his flaws in batting average, has an OPS of .783... that's a substantial upgrade to Burke. I'll be surprised if Burke reaches that level in the prime of his career, much less in his first season.

Furthermore, if the Astros still want Burke to get playing time, they can platoon him with Cruz, who is a better hitter from the left side. Cruz has a .840 OPS against righties this year and a .790 OPS against righties the three previous years... so you can still let Burke get time against the lefties if you want him to get experience.

He's not my first choice. But if the Astros can't pull off a trade by Sunday, claiming Cruz is a much better option for this team than letting Burke continue to start. They aren't even close.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I believe in Burke. Much moreso than Lane. I think this guy will settle in very nicely.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I do too - but as a 2B, not a corner outfielder. I think in the long run, Burke will be more valuable to this team than Lane because an average hitter at 2B with good speed and defense is more valuable than a slightly above average hitter at RF/LF. But if they play the same position, Lane is better, and so is Cruz. Burke just doesn't have the power to be a corner outfielder in the majors. Down the road, I agree that Burke is better... but only when there's a spot for him to start at 2B. We need a power bat in LF if we're hoping to get past the Cards in the playoffs.

10. Buck Turgidson

Exactly, Cat. Burke has no position on this team.

Cruz would make a very servicable 4th/5th OF if no moves are made by the 31st. Plays all the OF spots, switch hitter, gives Gar more options. Minimal experience as a PH though (only 6 ABs since '02).

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I think Burke is the one with the future. Maybe they both do?

BTW - imagine if Uncle Drayton had signed Jr then had to designate the second coming, and going, of (a) Cruuuuuuz...

12. edc

edc Contributing Member

It wouldn't happen. Cruz, Jr. would retire first. He has proven himself as a big-league talent If he clears waivers, the Astros will probably bite.

Beyond Cruz's ties to the city and the organization, remember that he and Berkman are also boys.

13. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

You're right about Burke with the future, at least the possibility. I myself have never been to fond of him. I've always been up for trading him if the right deal comes along. But he has more potential than Cruz Jr.

Cruz Jr. is 31 years old and the highest he's ever hit is .274.
    His avg the last 3 years: .250, .242, and this year .213.
    His lifetime OBP is .336

After 8 years in the league, everyone already knows what he can do and how much he strikes out. Also, everday players usually have a hard time adjusting to pinch hitting. It takes a while for them to get used to the rythm of never knowing when they'll bat and if they even will. That's not something we need him learning now in a wild card race.

If we were to pick him up i'd rather see it done in the off season when the team is getting shaken up a little. I wouldn't demote any of our pinch hitters or guys in the bullpen for him.

14. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Jr. Cruz just traded to Red Sox according to ESPN.

15. BigCountry132

BigCountry132 Contributing Member

Cruz Jr. traded to the Red Sox for 2 minor leaguers via Sportscenter.

16. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member