1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Manny Ramirez to the Mets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by thacabbage, Jul 29, 2005.

1. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

We need to hop in and get Aubrey Huff, not Manny. Huff fills our needs just fine. Tampa would only want pospects, so why not dangle Burke and Lane to them?

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Honestly why would you trade Lane for Huff? They basically have the same stats if your looking at it. Huff has had more at bats than Lane but overall they are basically comparable and they can be interchanged.

Huff -

H/AB - 99/367
    2B - 17
    HR - 13
    RBI - 63
    BB - 32
    K's - 62
    AVG - .270

Lane -

H/AB - 78/315
    2B - 24
    HR - 15
    RBI - 45
    BB - 19
    K's - 65
    AVG - .248

If you give Lane as many at bats they honestly would be even statistically and Huff strikes out just as much. So that deal would really be a wash.

3. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

those stats aren't really a wash, to be honest - and Huff has a track record over the past few years of performing well above what he's done this year - and he's starting to heat up in July.

He'd be a definite upgrade at the corner outfield spot.

4. Major

Major Member

Look at Huff's last 3 years - he's a 25-30HR guy that bats .300, and he's left-handed. Offensively, he's exactly what the team is looking for. He had a horrible first 3 months of this season, but has shown his previous form in July.

5. redgoose

Exactly. He's making up for those bad 3 months pretty quick. It's a long shot but he could possible end up with 30 hr's here. Too bad i haven't heard of us pursuing him, or anybody for that matter other than a left handed bullpen arm. :mad:

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

The thing is, the Devil Rays are a tough an organization to work with - for a lot of varying reasons. It is a minor miracle that Chuck LaMar is still gainfully employed.

Baseball Tonight revealed that the when the Mets enquired about Danys Baez, the D-Rays first asked for David Wright or Jose Reyes - which is ridiculous. While they may have stolen Kazmir for Zambrano from the same organization last year, that was just a ludicrous request.

That is not to say that Purpura doesn't need to make some sort of move to bring in a bat - but it's a seller's market and prices are inflated - and if a deal gets done, I'd be shocked if it was with the D-Rays.

7. redgoose

You're absolutley right. TB just wants the best prospects that they can throw in the field and look like they're fielding a big league team.

There are way to many buyers, since everyone has a legitimate shot at the wild card. Too bad we couldn't of started this run a couple weeks earlier. That would of least knocked a couple teams out of hope.

It seems like Cincy wants every minor league pitching prospect plus more for Dunn. Whoever gets him will have to break the bank and set their farm system back a couple years.

Then Florida won't deal Burnett w/o Lowell. Only the Yankees could take that deal.

In the end, i think this will be the lamest trading deadline in recent memory.

8. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Yeah everyone is asking way to much for their goods and are trying to dump people that no one else wants. it's going to be really boring and only minor deals will go through. With too many teams in the wild card race it's bringing the value of these trade bait players to a new high becuase they know what value it holds for the teams in the race.

Oh well maybe were all wrong and a deal goes through that no one expected...but i highly doubt it.

9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I'm glad the Stros haven't made a move (minus that missing lefty in the pen)... and I hope they don't unless they just get an amazing player for next to nothing. We are in great shape to make the playoffs without a move, and I don't want us to trade away our prospects for nothing like we have so many times in the past.

10. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's out of the lineup today.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Besides picking up another arm in the bullpen I wouldn't mind if they went out a got a backup catcher. I'm not impressed with Humberto and getting a backup shouldn't cost us too much.

12. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Manny has been removed from the lineup tonight.

13. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

What a complete waste of $162,264.32.

14. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Manny is such a flake, you don't know what might happen if they close this deal. If he falls out of favor with the NY fans, it could get reeeeally ugly. Boston fans are rough but NY fans and media love to mercilessly provoke athletes. If/when he starts flaking out a bit, let's see. If he stays focused, he will help them a lot and the Mets now become our #1 rival for the Wild Card.

15. redgoose

You're right that he'll eventually do something to piss off the NY media. Maybe jogging to first base or his all star defensive caliber outfield plays, but most likely just the stupid things he says.

However, i'm completely missing the point where Manny gets more privacy in NY of all places than Boston. :confused:

16. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

The Red Sox just traded for Jose Cruz Jr. Not sure if this means anything in relation to Manny possibly getting moved.