1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Rockets Appeal to Swift

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LongTimeFan, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

take off the amount of a state income tax from that 6-8M and see how much of a difference it makes over 5 years.

besides....like I said earlier...there are only a few teams under tha cap enough to give him more than MLE...one of them isnt playing the FA market this year(Cats)...the others have more to worry about than just Swift or are too crappy for him to want to go to unless they offer the full desired 9M(which IMO he isnt worth)...I find it more likely that he wont get a offer over MLE without a s/t.

2. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

Why do we need someone that is using us like Beltran used the Astros.

He is not an upgrade (10/5 with foul problems) and HE says it is about the money, WTH have you guys been reading.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Like Beltran? If anything, Swift is the exact opposite of Beltran, because he had the honor to say up front that money was a big priority. If he were using us like Beltran, he would say that it wasn't about the money and lead us to think we were his first choice, only to reveal his true colors at the end. It's his right as a free agent to seek the most money, and I respect him for coming out and telling the truth... more athletes need to do that.

Furthermore, it's doubtful he gets an offer bigger than the MLE without a sign and trade, so our deal will be very competitive. And if the Grizzlies are willing to work a S&T, we have the expiring contracts that are very enticing to a team trying to shed some payroll.

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

You're completely right, let's not get used. Let's just end all further negotiations with future free agents. We should only target guys from now on who will come here for the vet minimum because they love our city so much. :rolleyes:

5. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Beltran said it had nothing to do about the money but he took the biggest offer and ran.

Swift is at least being up front. Besides, I don't think any of us wouldn't do the same in his shoes. We all try to get a bigger chunk of the pie in life.

And about his production....

I'm a big fan of Tyson Chandler and feel, like many others, that he would be the ideal fit in Houston let's look at his production:

27.4 minutes/game
    8 points
    9.7 rbds.
    1.8 blocks

That's damn good production in the minutes he played.

To compare, I clicked over to look at Swift:

21.3 minutes/game
    10.1 points
    4.6 rbs
    1.5 blocks

I was shocked to see the production, though rebounds a tad lower with Swift, are alarmingly similar. In 6 less minutes, Swift had more points and the same amount of blocks. Again, Swift's rebounding numbers are down slightly but, if you average them out to 48 minutes, it equals out to 10+ a game.

Swift's one-on-one defense, attitude and desire can all be questioned, but his production speaks for itself.

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I fear the Knicks as our biggest competitor for Swift. I think Isiah's the only guy in the league crazy enough to give Swift $9million/yr and the Knicks, while they are a complete joke, have amassed a quantity of large contracts with which to use in a S&T deal. I could see Isiah being crazy enough to give Swift $9million in a S&T for Jamal Crawford and throw-ins.

I think the situation is completely obvious here. He knows what we can give him, but clearly likes Houston as his first choice. He fits in well here with a wide open spot for a starter, sees a bright future ahead, and the city is close to home. However, the bottom line is money. I think they've come to try and work out a S&T deal. If they are unable to work something out, he will move on to the next highest bidder, most likely being New York. Would anyone here be willing to take on Jason Williams in a S&T deal?

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

That's a pretty optimistic outlook on everything.. :confused: Swift also visited NY before he came to Houston, so one can say that NY is his first choice. I don't put any stock into anything Swift says, but atleast we got him in town. Obviously he's looking for a S&T -- I think Crawford might be better than anything we have to offer Memphis though. But looking at their roster -- do they really want another guard?

Jason Williams
    Bonzi Wells*
    Earl Watson (FA)
    James Posey
    Mike Miller
    Dahntay Jones

(*I don't see him listed as a FA, so I assume he's still with the team)

Outside of Crawford, I don't see anything else appealing to Memphis. If I were Memphis, and the # of picks were equal, I'd rather take expiring contracts than a Knick with a bloated contract.

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

His production isn't as close to Chandler as you think. Those rebounds are huge, and Chandler gets more than twice as many. He ranks #3 in rebounds per 48 minutes, Swift doesn't even crack the top 50. That's just poor rebounding. Swift blocks a lot of shots, even more than Chandler, but that doesn't make up for the lack of effort on the glass. Rox rank #1 in pts in paint defense and #2 in fg% allowed, but rank #3 in overall defense. Why? They give up too many foul shots and second shots. We need someone to prevent those second shots.

9. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

I would love to have either Tyson or Nene. However, I don't think we can acquire either player. Nuggets want a 3 Pt. shooting guard. I don't think we can offer them a better offer than the Kings with Cat.

10. New Jack

New Jack Member

We were ranked #3 in the league in defensive rebounds.

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

:D

That stats caught my eye too. Now, Memphis did play long roation and Gasol is their man, but 9/5, I bet Motay can do better than that.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

no one is going to give stro a huge deal because he is unproven. any offer he gets that is more then the MLE will be from the hornets or hawks. even then they won't pay him much more than the MLE. so if he could play for one of those teams for 7 mil a year, or play with us for 5, i think we stand a pretty good shot.

if he wants to wait for better offers those teams will spend there money somewhere else. dalembert, ziggy, the bulls bigs, jerome james, etc...

he needs to take our offer while it's there because we will be one of the teams who opts for walker, SAR, or marshall over him if he won't commit. he will be left playing with the knicks for the MLE.

he says he wants "everything to work out". meaning he wants the largest offer to be from a contender, and for that team to be us. well he isn't going to get everything. take 2 out of 3. play for us and contend, or make a LITTLE more and lose every night.

13. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Eddie Griffin has joined the Rockets in a sign and trade in which CD gave him a max contract for 5 years. Going back to Minnesota in the deal was Yao Ming and the Rockets 1st round draft picks until 2012 or after Jeffery Jordon is drafted out of his fathers alma mater North Carolina. :D

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

say all teams are offering swift the same deal how much better would houston's offer be by a percentage after factoring in income tax, cost of living in that city, etc...?

15. Porsche576

Porsche576 Member

saw stro and mike james at roxy last nite, seemed to be enjoying themselves.

16. Mav-Hater

Was Eddie Griffin there or has he started his jail sentence for going there the other day?

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

That's fine. If NY wants him for big bucks and they will S&T Crawford and expirings to Memphis, then Memphis should be ready to dump Bonzi. We'll work a S&T for AW and then pick up Bonzi with the MLE or part of the MLE.

18. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Interesting. I remember James promoting Swift as thier next PF in his radio interview a couple of weeks ago on 97.9.

19. Mav-Hater

yaomania, Any idea when? Is a news conference scheduled? Will it be on the Rockets sight first?

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Sounds like James is trying to persuade a friend to become a Rocket. I also remember that tidbit on 610 about Swift being a PF that would help the Rockets.