1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer League Roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yaomania, Jul 5, 2005.

1. yaomania

yaomania Contributing Member

HOUSTON – The Houston Rockets today announced that 2005 first round draft selection Luther Head will join 2003 second round selection Malick Badiane on the team’s 2005 roster for the Minnesota NBA Summer League in Minneapolis, MN.

The Rockets will participate in the week-long summer league that includes entries from the Minnesota Timberwolves, Indiana Pacers, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Knicks and Toronto Raptors. The league runs from July 15-19th with three games scheduled per day. The Rockets will play a total of five games, facing each team once. The roster currently stands at 11 players but is expected to expand to 12 before the team departs for Minneapolis. .

HOUSTON ROCKETS 2005 SUMMER PRO LEAGUE ENTRY ROSTER

PLAYER POS. HT. WT
    Hollis Price G 6-1 172 Oklahoma (’03)

William Avery G 6-2 180
    Duke (’99)

Luther Head* G 6-3 185 Illinois (’05)

Pat Carroll G 6-5 190
    St. Joseph (’05)

Norm Richardson G 6-5 200
    Hofstra (’01)

Desmond Penigar F 6-7 245
    Utah (’03)

Chuck Hayes F 6-6 242 Kentucky (’05)

Cory Violette F 6-8 255 Gonzaga (’04)

David Bluthenthal F 6-7
    USC (’02)

Malick Badiane** F/C 6-11 240 Senegal (’03)

Lonnie Baxter F/C 6-8 260 Maryland (’02)

2. ALLEN7628

ALLEN7628 Member

Hmmm, those are 3 very good college PG's at the top of that list. I'm interested to see how Badiane does this summer.

3. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

Where is Spannulius? Can you give me more information Yaomania since you have the inside track?

4. Doc Rocket

Doc Rocket Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes F 6-6 242 Kentucky (’05)

The kid to watch....

5. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

check the other summer league thread he is not coming over because of other offers in europe

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Lonnie Baxter is a handy player too - be interesting to see how he goes in the summer league!

7. yaomania

yaomania Contributing Member

Heh. I actually don't have much inside information. Everything I post here is public info - or stuff I feel comfortble being public- I just get it a little faster than everyone else.

I don't work on basketball side of the business so I don't have any inside information with where certain players are or how they're looking or whatever. I find out more here than I do internally.

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A dose of yaomania and Doc Rocket in the same thread!

I really liked what I saw of Hayes in the tourney. He played hard and was a leader for Kentucky.

Baxter is interesting as well. He averaged pretty much 15+-8-2 (blocks) for 54ish% FG% pretty much his last 3 years at Maryland. He played for 4 different teams in 3 years in the NBA. He just hasn't stuck anywhere, yet.

Avery is everything you fear Head becomes. A tweener guard unable to adjust to NBA range. Averaged 15-5 on 41% shooting from 3.

Badiane's the only guy over 6-8, so he should get a chance to show his stuff.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's the name that caught my eye... what's kept him from sticking to a team thusfar? Does he really suck that bad? I honestly thought he would be a Boozer-like steal.

It seems like we're looking at a lot of undersized/widebody C's and PF's.

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Or more likely, these are the type of big men that would be playing in summer leagues. Guys that have better bodies/talent don't need to use the summer league to prove themselves.

11. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Carrol would be someone to watch as well. I saw he and St. Joes play the Ags in the NIT tourney. I remember I wanted to kick him in his knee b/c of the clutch shooting and clutch free throws he was making in the 2nd half. He is only about 6'6 but would be a gunner off the bench. Not a driver from the perimeter by any means, but can hit the open shots, which there should be a bit of w/ teams doubling TMAC and YAO.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sir, you've obviously never heard of Malick Badiane or Thomas Hamilton!

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I guess Badiane will have to play C for this team. I don't know if that will give a good accounting of his PF skills where he could possibly help the Rox.

Hayes and Baxter will have to split the PF time and Head probably will have to play SG not PG.

Maybe there just aren't any jouneyman C's out there but it doesn't look like we will learn what we need to know out of this grouping.

14. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

No Boki

:p

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

At 260lbs Lonny is certainly a wide body!

I expected more of him coming out of college - he averaged around 15 points and 8-9 boards for 3 years (for a good school). Plus he got a steal almost every game and blocked almost 2 shots per contest!

He's always been willing to work hard - so maybe he'll pick up some things and show some value this summer...

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Really like our Summer League Roster, especailly hardworking good guys like Price and Hayes. I also like the emphisis we are putting on the pg position.

I'd love to see Price, Head, Hayes and Baldine play well. I really think these guys are going to surprise some people.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

From everything I have read about Hayes, he seems like a serious contender to make the Rockets squad in place of Ryan Bowen.

On another note, I am really disappointed not to see Vspan on the team. I guess he will be in Europe for another year. Maybe that's for the best anyway. That way by the time he comes here he will be really seasoned.

18. thesaint

thesaint Member

19. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Where's Spanopolis? Is this guy awol for some reason??

20. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

here's what my Greek source has emailed me:

According to Greek press, Spanoulis is trying to get a Euroleague team to sign him, but the ones offering BIG money are not playing there: Pamesa Valencia, Dynamo Moscow, Dynamo St. Petersburg.
    Panathinaikos, a final-4 team last year is offering more or less around 550,000 euros/year to him but he doesn't wanna go there either, as the team is filled w/ guards and he won't find enough playing time.
    Right now, Spanoulis is playing w/ his stock, but his environment says he's not goin to the Rockets' summer league. Let's wait and see as nothing is clear