1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The man has lost his mind!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Jun 23, 2005.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Did anyone see Cheney on Blitzer? The man is insane!

Cheney: Iraq will be 'enormous success story'

Thursday, June 23, 2005; Posted: 8:08 p.m. EDT (00:08 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Vice President Dick Cheney on Thursday defended his recent comment that the Iraqi insurgency was in its "last throes," insisting that progress being made in setting up a new Iraqi government and establishing democracy there will indeed end the violence -- eventually.

However, in an exclusive interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, Cheney said he thinks there still will be "a lot of bloodshed" in the coming months, as the insurgents try to stop the move toward democracy in Iraq.

"If you look at what the dictionary says about throes, it can still be a violent period, the throes of a revolution," he said. "The point would be that the conflict will be intense, but it's intense because the terrorists understand that if we're successful at accomplishing our objective -- standing up a democracy in Iraq -- that that's a huge defeat for them.

"We will succeed in Iraq, just like we did in Afghanistan. We will stand up a new government under an Iraqi-drafted constitution. We will defeat that insurgency, and, in fact, it will be an enormous success story."

---------------

Cheney also said Bush administration officials "don't pay a lot of attention" to polls showing declining public support among Americans for the Iraq war.

"The last thing you want to do is to read the latest poll and then base policy on that," he said. "Presidents are generally ineffective if they spend all their time reading the polls and trying to make policy accordingly.

------------------
    Gitmo detainees 'living in the tropics'

"We are doing what we believe is right. We're convinced it's right. We're convinced that in fact we'll achieve our objectives."

The vice president also told Blitzer that "we've got a pretty good idea of the general area" where al Qaeda mastermind Osama bin Laden is hiding, but he said, "I don't have the street address."

Asked to identify the general area, Cheney demurred, saying he wouldn't talk about intelligence matters. Pressed on when bin Laden might be captured, he said, "What, do you expect me to say: Three weeks from next Tuesday?"

"I'm convinced eventually we'll get him," he said.

------------

Cheney also rejected calls for closing the detention facility for terror suspects at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, saying the inmates there "are serious, deadly threats" who will "go back to trying to kill Americans" if they are released.

He also defended the treatment of prisoners by the U.S. military at Guantanamo, telling Blitzer, "There isn't any other nation in the world that would treat people who were determined to kill Americans the way we're treating these people."

"They're living in the tropics. They're well fed. They've got everything they could possibly want," the vice president said.

-----------------

Cheney compared the current situation in Iraq to the last months of World War II, when Germans launched a desperate offensive in the Battle of the Bulge and the Japanese offered stiff resistance on Okinawa.

He said the insurgents will "do everything they can to disrupt" the process of building an Iraqi government, "but I think we're strong enough to defeat them."

"There will probably be a continued U.S. presence there for some considerable period of time, because there are some things we do they can't do -- for example, air support, some of our intelligence, communications and logistics capabilities," he said. "But I think the bulk of the effort will increasingly be taken on by Iraqi forces."

------------

Cheney also said he thought Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska, a fellow Republican, was "wrong" when he told U.S. News and World Report the White House was "disconnected from reality" about how the situation was deteriorating in Iraq.

"[Washington has] got a lot of people in it who were armchair quarterbacks or who like to comment on the passing scene," he said. "But those who have predicted the demise of our efforts since 9/11 -- as we have fought the war on terror, as we have liberated 50 million people in Iraq and Afghanistan -- did not know what they were talking about."

-----------

Cheney said he had not read the so-called "Downing Street memo," a document written by a British official in the fall of 2002 suggesting that President Bush had already decided to remove Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, and that U.S. officials were over hyping intelligence about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction to build support for the policy.

However, the vice president said the premise of the memo -- that a decision to go to war had been made months before the March 2003 invasion -- was "wrong."

"Remember what happened after the supposed memo was written. We went to the United Nations. We got a unanimous vote out of the Security Council for a resolution calling on Saddam Hussein to come clean," he said.

"The president of the United States took advantage of every possibility to try to resolve this without having to use military force. It wasn't possible in this case."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/06/23/cheney.interview/index.html

2. mc mark

Is this the speech we're going to hear next week?

Can't wait to count how many lines are verbatim.

Weak...

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Holy Cow! Cheney is seriously on the level with Saddam's minister of information guy. Baghdad Bob, or whatevre they called him. I am seriously amazed at what I keep hearing from him.

I still remember him claiming that he never said whatever it was about the terrorists being in Iraq, and the Daily show playing the clip of him saying exactly that. Cheney is one of the most untrustworthy leaders in the entire world.

4. mc mark

where to start? I love this...

So the admin can evoke Hitler but "how dare you Durbin!"

LOL!!!

5. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Between his BS and Rummy's entertaining BS, I am surprised that Washington is big enough for the both of them.

But, can't say I blame him, the guy is hardcore, he only cares about one and only one thing: his check from Halliburton. :rolleyes:

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Oh come on. I've thoroughly enjoyed checking out the humiliating photos of Saddam and learning that he likes to eat fruit loops. Even you sissy peacenik liberals have to admit that stuff is funny!

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

When did liberals complain about reading the Saddam quotes?

8. mc mark

Your right texxx

Anyone who would take soggy Doritos over fruit loops must be crazy.

:cool:

9. mc mark

?

oooo that hurts...

10. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

my favorite part was when Blitzer asked him about his "last throes" comment. Cheney then gives us the dictorary meaning for throes, but the question was about "last" throes. Last being the key word not throes. Boy Cheney isn't as stupid as bush he can two step when he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

11. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

It all depends on what the definition of "throes" is.......

12. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Oh Texxx....silly Texxx, run along and play with your new loufa and exfoliating hand creme

13. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Have you been staying at a Holiday Inn Express lately? :D

14. mc mark

It really doesn't take an advanced degree to see the man is seriously delusional.

:p

15. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Dorothy
    Are you doing that on purpose, or can't you make up your mind?

Dick
    That's the trouble. I can't make up my mind. I haven't got a brain, only straw.

Dick
    Oh, I'm a failure, because I haven't got a brain!

Dorothy
    Well, what would you do with a brain if you had one?

Dick
    Do? Why, if I had a brain, I could -

16. mc mark

I could while away the hours
    Conferrin with the flowers
    Consultin' with the rain
    And my head I'd be scratchin'
    While my thoughts were busy hatchin
    If I only had a brain

17. Jeffster

Jeffster Contributing Member

It doesn't seem like he's lost his mind to me. I like him, I wish he was younger and could be the next president after Bush.

18. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

:eek:

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Well crazy people have gotten votes before. I think his lying and propoganda have become almost comical.