1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Flag Burning

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by krosfyah, Jun 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Well, the Repubs are at it again. A flag burning constitutional ammendment passed in the house today. Link

Another example of over simplification by the Republicans that they lose sight of the big picture. Why can't they be working on social security or something (anything) useful. Geeezzzz!

2. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Nice to see they are keeping busy on the important subjects. I guess issues like education, social security, healthcare or the econom, are too difficult to understand; nevermind that minor skirmish going on overseas. Let's worry about legistlation to protect what amounts to a colorful quilt from being burned. I know I feel better.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

People who are bothered by flag burning care more about the symbol than what the symbol stands for.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Seems like a bad idea. But it seems like they are working on other issues, and the Democrats are blocking them (ie Social Security, new energy bill, school vouchers).

5. langal

langal Contributing Member

It is part of the big picture though. The big political picture, that is. It's a simple issue that galvanizes the Republican base and gives the Democrats the willies. I don't think the Republican politcal masterminds actually care if this thing passes. They just hope that some top Democrats will voice their opinion against it so they can fling the "unpatriotic" card at them. In fact, if this amendment actually gets signed into Constutional law - it can't be used anymore as a campaign issue - and the Republicans will have completely expended a nice little weapon from their political arsenal.

As a Republican, I would have waited until 2006/08 to bring it up. As a conservative, I agree that the whole thing is nothing but political games and a waste of time.

6. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Totally agree. It is a part of their big picture agenda. It is typical of their stupified platform. (you know, that us common folk can understand)

The Constitution is there to grant and protect rights...not place extra restrictions on citizens.

A flag burning constitutional ammendment is simmilar to prohibition and gay marriage in that it is intended to restrict Americans...not protect existing rights. Thus, this ammendment has no place in the constitution.

You are right. There is no way this will get ratified by all 50 states, if it passes the senate. It will just be used as political fodder to take aim at those liberal nazi's. How could they promote flag burning...heritics.

7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

im not too suprised this finally passed.

my position is, i dont want to nor have i ever had any desire to burn a flag, but if someone wants to they shouldnt go to jail for it. i think flag-burning is silly and i laugh at people who do it. i will mock them, but i dont think they should get in trouble for it.

i know some people might say "hey buddy, men died defending that flag", but i would argue that men died defending what the flag stands for, which is freedom (and that should include the freedom to burn the flag if you want). they didnt die defending a piece of cloth.

how many of our flags are actually made in the u.s.a. these days? mine says made in china :D

8. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

What a horrible idea this is.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

they're gearing up for future anti-war protests.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

We should have a BBS get-together and burns some flags while we still have the chance.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am waiting for the no criticizing of the president bumper sticker amendment.

12. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Maybe we have already been ID'ed by FBI/CIA. You never know.

13. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

That's a simple excuse but invalid one. Again, in politics, like any business, you have to win over your opponents. If you say that you expect them to love and support you wholeheartedly, either you are naive or you think your audience is naive. If you want to get something done, you are supposed to take the inititives and be more willing to compromise, comparing to your opponent. If you want everything be your way or high way, I guess you can hardly get anything done. But if you are willing to compromise and yield, while standing on your principles (if there are), as a governing party and with power in the house, it's almost impossible NOT to get something done.