1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Corporation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Oski2005, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

This opens in Houston today, here's the Chronicle's review:

'Corporation' superior to 'Fahrenheit,' and more persuasive

By ERIC HARRISON
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Now that Michael Moore has decided not to enter Fahrenheit 9/11 in the best documentary Oscar race -- he's going for best picture, instead -- maybe The Corporation will have a chance.

Like every other nonfiction film this year, this far-superior documentary was in danger of being overshadowed by Moore's hugely popular attack on President Bush.

Opening in Houston this week, The Corporation is an exhaustive and engrossing examination of how multinational corporations grew to become the dominant institution of modern society -- "like the Church, the Monarchy and the Communist Party in other times and places." It is also a scathing critique of how they misuse their power.

Yes, it's the fire-breathing, left-leaning documentary du jour, but unlike Fahrenheit, which appeals largely to people who already agree with its viewpoint, or Bush's Brain, which relies too heavily on talking heads to be compelling, The Corporation is the rare movie that sets out to alter the audience's consciousness -- and succeeds.

Based on a thesis by Joel Bakan, a University of British Columbia law professor and author, The Corporation argues that the multinational corporation -- deemed a person under the law -- has all the traits of a psychopathic personality that callously pursues goals with no regard to moral, social or legal standards. Dominating societies and governments, corporations have the legal rights and protections of a person but no soul and no goal other than the pursuit of profit.

More than two hours long, the film contains interviews with CEOs, academics, activists, journalists and economists, but it doesn't get bogged down in discussion. Rather, fascinating stories and personalities emerge. Its thoroughness justifies its length.

Ex-CEOs of Goodyear and Royal Dutch open up on camera, and Milton Friedman, Noam Chomsky, Michael Moore and others share their views, but the film is enlivened by dramatic vignettes, including footage of protests in Bolivia where peasants successfully fought the privatization of water.

And there are interviews with CEOs who are conflicted over their corporate responsibilities and their sense of what is right. One compelling figure is a CEO who, after having an about-face, puts a plan in place to change the culture of his company and makes it environmentally sustainable.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/moviestory.mpl/ae/movies/reviews/2799191

It's got a 91% rating at rottentomatoes. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/corporation/

Here's the trailer and the website.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/the_corporation.html

http://www.thecorporation.com/

I think there already was a thread about this, but I couldn't find it (I got tired of scrolling through pages). Now that it's open in H-town, maybe some people can actually watch it and tell us what they think. I'll try and get back to Houston and see it if it stays open into October.

2. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I saw this movie tonight, and thought it was interesting.

I'd recommend it to everyone, just to get a perspective on the issue that one will never hear through regular mass-media channels.

And for those who call themselves "pro-business" or whatever, I got a quote for ya:

3. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Out on DVD! Go rent it. Now.

I have no idea why I'm awake at 4:45AM and looking at old threads.

Oh, yes I do.

Because I'm AWESOME.

4. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

What a surprise when we have a large number of Americans self-indulged in the wicked marriage between religion, politics, corporation, and corporation-owned mass media.

#4 wnes, May 24, 2005
    Last edited: May 24, 2005
  5. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

isit really out on DVD? Sounds interesting...i'd like to see it.

6. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

Rent the DVD with the bonus disc, or buy it and share it with your friends. There are hours of extra interviews on the bonus disc and many of them are well worth watching. I have some beefs with this documentary because it doesn’t explore and possible syntheses, I’ll call them, enough IMO. We have the “corporations are bad” message and some of the “corporations are good” message but not enough exploration of the synthesis of the two worldviews. What is the best of each and how can they fit together while minimizing the limitations of each?

7. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Incredible that Thadeus could even remember the old thread. It was an amazing movie.

It was impressive how much material they covered in a movie. To me it shows the future of educational films. Practically a three credit course on business in one movie.