1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looks like Scott, Tavares may both be starting...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by countingcrow, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think the main thing in determining all of this is Chris Burke's lack of production this spring.

Scott pretty much played his way on, and with Berkman out, there's no reason as to why he shouldn't be there.

Biggio was guaranteed a starting spot... the only question was whether or not he would be playing 2B or LF.

And that leaves us with Chris Burke vs. Willy Tavares. Both give you speed, and decent defense, while they both hit for a decent average, with not that much power (Burke has the edge in power, but Tavares has the edge in speed).

In the end, I believe that as long as they're convinced that Biggio can handle 2B, Tavares will get the nod, while Burke might have to wait till either Willy bombs out, or somebody else on the club gets hurt.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Burke is not doing too bad:

"Burke is hitting .294 (10-for-34) with a .529 slugging percentage, a .415 on-base percentage and a double, two triples, one home run, six RBIs, five walks and seven strikeouts."

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I wouldn't exactly call that a lack of production. He has also played good defense. His problem is being stuck behind an Astros legend. His time will come. He'd probably be the first callup regardless of position (except pitcher) if/when someone gets hurt.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I knew I was going to get burned for not looking up the stats. :D

I guess him getting spiked the other day was the reason he hasn't been playing much lately... not because of his lack of production.

But, as was already said, he's stuck behind Biggio (who is still an above average offensive player), and whatever Craig feels more comfortable playing, the club will go that direction.

5. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I'm actually afraid that it won't. Biggio wants to get 3000 hits, and its going to take him at least another 2 seasons, probably 3 before he gets there. Drayton will let him start as long as he's here, and I just don't see them moving Biggio back to the OF.

6. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

This is exactly why we might as well trade Burke. He could start on over half the teams in the league. 2nd bas is a weak position. Instead, he's just rotting away in the minors. He's in a similiar position to what Jason Lane was for so long.

7. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

You don't trade talent in March or April. Burke could be used in a trade to fill a need later in the season or by then he could be playing everyday. Depth is never a bad thing especially with Biggio's age.

8. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Burke isn't playing/hitting poorly....just not doing as well as the other guys. That being said, I think Bidge should start the season at 2B and Burke on the bench. Of should be Lane, Scott and Willie....then make a decision as to who sits when Berkman is back.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

holy crap, did we just agree on something Astro-related??? sweet fancy moses!!!

10. NJRocket

armageddon is near

11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I really don't like the idea of an aging Biggio taking time away from a good youngster in Burke for the next 3 years. I don't mind him starting the season at 2B, but I think the future is now for Burke. In 3 years if we start Burke, we'll have a solid young 2B with defensive range, speed, and a good average playing for us. If we keep running Biggio out there until he retires, we won't have anything at that position when he's done - and his defense had diminished greatly by the time we moved him to the OF. Can Biggio play 3B, if Ensberg doesn't produce again this year? I'm guessing no, since he didn't have the arm for LF, he wouldn't have it for 3B. I'd like this to be Biggio's swan song season in Houston, but I guess we'll see what develops.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Biggio would be a decent DH for a lesser AL team (I only say lesser, because most good AL teams have better DH options).

He's intent on getting to 3,000 hits... but even Drayton (who loves Biggio more than anybody) will see that if his play is really hurting the ballclub, he might be better off pursuing that elsewhere.

But for this year, Biggio is still a viabel offensive threat... and I think he can hold his own at 2B for 3 out of every 5 games (with Burke/Viz getting the other starts).

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

My gut tells me if the Astros are competing this year Burke will be trade bait for another mercenary type player like Beltran.

14. franchise?..NOT

I can see where Burke gets more and more playing time as the season goes on and I hope that Biggio is the guy who gets traded for a difference maker.

Biggio will fade even worse this year than last after the break.

Hopefully by that time we will have a solid outfield that is more than good enough to be able to exclude Biggio from the lineup. Bidge's time came and went.

I really wanted to see him get it all last year. Likewise Bagwell. Biggio is now as much about getting 3000 hits as he is about being on a winning team. He even said so in an interview a week ago. He wants to guaranty a trip to the HOF.

With the emergence (time will tell) of Scott, now Biggio is keeping two of three potential impact starters from getting to play fulltime in Scott, Lane and Burke.

I know Rocket did not sign to be part of a rebuilding club but I think it is very possible that two or more of the young guys are playing as well or better than Biggio later in the season. If that is the case then I think you have to look at Biggio's lack of late season contributions before you think about trading Burke or Lane.

15. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

Another two run homer today for Scott.

Death, taxes, and . . .

16. NJRocket

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D