1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luke Scott?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bosco4740, Mar 21, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Damn this guy seems unreal, it just shows you what a great GM Gerry was us. Taveras and Scott for Roberston may be as good as Bagwell for Anderson. Hopefull Purpura is also good but I think he wont

2. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I quarantee that Purpura had a huge hand in that deal. He probably was the guy who got Scott included, and had a big hand in drafting Taveras in the Rule V draft.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In Scott's next AB, he was facing perrenial Astro-favorite Kyle Farnsworth.

Farns got ahead of him 0-2, but Scott showed good patience and laid off Kyle's slider, working the count to 3-2... before slapping the pay-off pitch into CF.

So, we saw the power... and now he's showing an eye... all against pretty good MLB pitching. Even if he doesn't pan-out, this guy is just scary-hot right now.

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

It really would be nice if he could be another JD Drew. My starting outfield would be Biggio LF, Willie T. CF, and Luke Scott RF.

5. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Just forget about Jason Lane? I think he's the only lock for the opening day outfield right now.

6. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Biggio in the outfield would be bad for the team. I think Biggio should move to bench and let Burke play.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

People can say all they want about Luke's age and that he hasn't played past AA. So what. Albert Pujols never played past A. I am in no way saying that Luke Scott is Albert Pujols. What I am actually doing is asking...What if? He is scorching hot. If it keeps going right into the end of ST, what possible reason would the team have to not see how far it can go. Who knows...maybe he fizzles out in May. Well, at that point, Lance is back. I think the Astros have to give him a shot. He hits for power and has patience at the plate. He hits left handed. He plays good defense. Maybe he simply figured it out.

Discalimer: Once again, I am in no way saying that Luke Scott is the second coming. All I am saying is that the Astros must give him a chance.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

HMM... a similiar argument was posted by a brilliant poster on page 1. :D

I'm with you though... even though there won't be another Albert Pujols-type situation for the next 50 years at least... there's still a chance this guy could be good (if only for a month).

9. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I'm with you guys. The guy is scorching hot so why not put him on the opening day roster? As said before, if he can just stay hot for a month, that's all we need. Plus we really need a left hand bat in the lineup. If he struggles, just option him back to the minors. We need all the help we can get when you see the lineup and notice Morgan Ensberg is hitting cleanup. :(
    I expect Bagwell to get alot of walks untill Berkman comes back.

10. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

They'd be stupid NOT to put him on the opening day roster... who in the heck would they start instead of him anyway, Orlando Palmeiro? Palmeiro is a spot starter at best, and I'd much rather have a kid with some pop in the lineup... throw the rookies out there and let them show they're stuff.

I loved Gerry Hunsicker and all but I think he tended to usually let farm players sit too long in the minors. We traded away countless grade-a prospects that were legitimate starters on most clubs... I say let Taveras, Scott, Burke and Astocio all get a shot... what the hell do we have to lose?

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Legend strikes again (that's my new nickname for Scott till he proves otherwise... he's Luke the Legend).

So far, he's 2-3 today with 2 ringing doubles, all against Kevin Brown and the Yankees. The first one, he actually took the pitch to the opposite field, and drove in the runner from second.

That opposite field swing would look mighty nice w/ the short LF porch in MMP.

And we end with the usual disclaimer... this is just spring training, and the guy could fizzle faster than coke and pop rocks mixed together... but the Legend is scorching hot right now.