1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Astros.com] Lamb to the outfield?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That, or the 8.79 ERA during the stretch run. :)

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

no..i just said Wood has never won more than 14 games in a season over the stretch of his career, and he's only done that once. Oswalt has won 14, 19 and 20 in less number of seasons. Prior has had one good year. He won 18 games two seasons back.

Wood has been in the league since 98 and has won 67 games. Oswalt has won 63 and has been in the league since 2001.

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Oz, frankly, has an injury history as well. Prior is 3 years younger than Oswalt, give him time. His stuff is absolutely filthy. And his ERA stacks up well against Roy. He won 18 games at the age of 22. At that age, Oz was in the minors. Unless his injury was career threatening, I'd expect him to return to form.

Wood... maybe I'm just remembering that 20 strikeout game, but he just seems like the kind of pitcher who's going to have the light turn on for him one of these days. He's a good #2 or 3 guy now, relying on raw talent, but if he could just learn to avoid mental breakdowns he'd be dominating. Kinda reminds me of a more talented Redding.

Actually I don't know why we're discussing Prior/Wood. Zambrano has the best stuff on the Cubs staff, and he went 16-8, 2.75 last year.

Reread, you'll see that I agree with you. I'd take Roger/Roy for one year.

4. MadMax

going into this season, which, in your opinion, is the better rotation?

5. SamCassell

A three deep playoff rotation, or a 5 man regular season rotation?

I don't really know the Cubs 5th starter - or the health of Prior and Pettite. Assuming Prior's 100% and Pettite's 100%:

Clemens > Zambrano
    Oswalt < Prior
    Pettite > Wood

I'd take the Stros top 3 over the Cubs. I'd still stake my chances with Roger in a big game, even after Game 7 last year. And Pettite's a proven winner in the playoffs.

6. SamCassell

To add - if you were to go 4 deep, I'd pick Maddux over Backe. Hall of Famer, even at reduced production, over guy with 12 starts under his belt. That would make the 2 rotations pretty much even through 4 starters.

Unfortunately for the Cubs, LaTroy Hawkins is no Brad Lidge at closer.

7. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Word is the Ryan Dempster will be the closer for the Cubs to begin the season, and Hawkins will move back to his setup role. I'm nowhere near convinced that Dempster is suitable for the role, but I would have said the same thing about Eric Gagne & Joe Nathan.

8. MadMax

are you so sure about that? really? because of one good season and tons of potential. i know..he's only been in the league 2.5 seasons. but Oswalt's only been in for 3.5. and his production far exceeds what Prior has been able to do. even in just comparing their stats for the first 2.5 seasons.

9. SamCassell

In baseball? With pitchers? Of course I'm not sure. For all I know age could catch up with Roger (putting Zambrano ahead), or Wood could finally mature as a pitcher (maybe putting him ahead of Pettite), or Prior could never achieve his potential. But when healthy, Prior's put up a similar (slightly worse) win-loss ratio to Oswalt, and a similar (slightly better) ERA than Oswalt. I just think Prior's got a higher ceiling and his size vis-a-vis Oswalt will be a benefit in his pitching career. Roy is Pedro sized. Not to say I dislike Oswalt though, he's absolutely an ace and will have a magnificent career.

Anyway, those are just my best guesses. There's not a huge margin in any of those 3 matchups.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I would take a groin problem (solved with surgery) over elbow problems any day (wait and see). Prior is an immensely talented pitcher. Until they get another manager that knows how to not abuse his starters, Prior probably won't get too far.

How long should one wait for the light to go on with Wood. He's got the stuff and the power, why isn't it working after 6 years in the majors? Right now, I would take Zambrano over both of them. I would still take Oswalt over all the pitchers mentioned.

11. MadMax

completely agreed. we've been hearing about the magical Kerry Wood and the Nolan Ryan/Roger Clemens comparisons for a long time now. where is it? maybe it will happen this year. all i've seen so far is an above-average pitcher who can't win more than 14 games but struck out 20 Astros in a game 7 seasons back.

i would absolutely, postively take Oswalt over any of them...because he's already shown it on a consistent basis.

12. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Obviously Wood has not lived up to the hype that surrounded him. However he has put up some pretty darn good numbers for his career. He's pitched half his career in Wrigley Field and has had only one season with an ERA > 4.00. He has been hurt a lot, which is disconcerting - especially considering that damage that Dusty Baker will continue to heap on his and Prior's arms.

That said, I think Wood is in store for a big year (which of course is assuming that Dusty doesn't wreck his arm, which is a big if). He's hit the magical age of 27, and last season was really his best year, all things considered. His K/BB ratio has improved each of the last two seasons by a significant margin over his earlier years, which is to be expected by a maturing young pitcher. His BB/9 rate was as low as it's ever been in 2004 - still not good, but far better than his career mark.

His career ERA+ of 117 is pretty good for any pitcher, let alone one who is 27 with 6 years of big-league experience under his belt.

13. MadMax

that's been said so many times. i'll believe it when i see it.

and as you said...he's working against himself with dusty coaching.

14. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

you talkin about wood or jason lane ;)

15. MadMax

i hear ya on Lane...i'm not a believer there.

but...maybe it's just my skewed perception, but i'm thinking kerry wood gets a BIT more run on hype than Jason Lane does. just guessing.