1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A.J. Pierzynski

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by VesceySux, Jan 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Let me start by saying that I'm not a fan of Brad Ausmus. He's a .255 career hitter, and his defense has declined. His CS percentage dropped from .352 to .264 last year. He was stolen on a career-high 78 times last year, so runners no longer fear him. Frankly, he's a liability on offense and defense now. He needs to go.

I know Ausmus has another year on his contract, but I'd love to bring in A.J. Pierzynski, anyway. The guy's stock is at an all-time low, so I think he could be had for cheap. Sure, he's considered a lazy "cancer," but lest we forget, Jeff Kent, also known as a "cancer," wasn't too bad on the Astros. Yes, his defense sucks major ass, but his offense can be quite good. I know my opinion may be unpopular, but I think we should at least consider the option. We need an upgrade at catcher.

2004 Stats Comparison:

Ausmus: .248 BA, 5 HR, 31 RBI, 33 BB, 56 SO, .631 OPS (129 games)
    Pierzynski: .272 BA, 11 HR, 77 RBI, 19 BB, 27 SO, .729 OPS (131 games)

Career Stats Comparison:

Ausmus: .255 BA, 68 HR, 461 RBI, 464 BB, 764 SO, .680 OPS (1443 games)
    Pierzynski: .294 BA, 37 HR, 77 RBI, 270 BB, 79 SO, .774 OPS (561 games)

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Giants just got rid of the cancer of AJ Pierzynski in favor of a Brad Ausmus clone in Mike Matheny.

That should say something about this guy... and I think we have more pressing needs than catcher. Also, I believe we should see what Gimenez does at AAA before we give up on him.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

AJ is definetly a better offensive catcher than Asumus. I just don't think that his positives outweigh the negatives. Kent was merely perceived to be a cancer in SF because he didn't get along with Barry. So what? The same negatives were said about AJ while he was a Twin as well. They weren't too disappointed about losing him. He also does not gain the respect of the pitching staff. At the very least, Ausmus still calls a great game, blocks pitches well, and can still play 120+ games a year.

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

V.S. I was thinking the same thing about Pierzynski. He hit 11 homers in that huge ballpark in Frisco which means he could possibly hit 20 for the Astros. He may not be as good as Ausmus behind the plate but I think a good defensive catcher is ovverated anyway. Give me a catcher that can help me with his bat anyday.

5. fya

fya Member

Isn't he signed with the whitesux?

6. MykTek

MykTek Member

i wish we could have kept John Buck...i heard he was ok defensively and outstanding bat.... kinda reminded me of Mitch Melusky.... I thought he was gonna be the future astros catcher back then....but a temper tantrum got him traded...just like phil nevin.....and we gave up on Daryl Ward, Kenny Lofton, etc ....I just think the astros develop there players extremely well, but once they get to the majors, they don't get a chance....

here is Melusky's career numbers
    http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/6082/career

if he gets a chance somewhere, I think he will be a good catcher....

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Meluskey is done.

Buck is solid. Ward hasn't shown anything yet, but I'm willing to give him another year or 2 to prove it. Nevin has hit extremely well, but has also been a defensive liability at 1st and 3rd (and C the few times he was there)...injury-prone, and that attitude problem never left him.

I don't think it's called "giving up" on prospects when your OF is too crowded for someone (like Ward). I mean, Lane hasn't even gotten to play yet..how would Ward have made it with worse defensive skills?

And it's not "giving up" on Buck when you make a deal for a ridiculous superstar. Who helped turn your year around. And who almost carried you into the WS. Even if it was a 1 year run, you still make that deal for Buck and Dotel--every time.

8. msn

msn Member

C defense is *not* overrated.

Ask any major-league GM the most important defensive positions, and you will quickly find out: CF, 2B, SS, and C.

C defense is only considered overrated by those who get starry-eyed at the numbers of C's like Piazza.

9. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Piazza went to a World Series so having a great defensive catcher is not a must to win.

10. msn

msn Member

This is not very strong logic. How well do his pitchers pitch? How well have the Mets played in the sum of Piazza's years with them? Matheny and Ausmus have been on perenniel winners, minus the Detroit years, and Matheny's been to a World Series, too. This does not strengthen the argument for defensive catchers any more than yours weakens it.

11. Buck Turgidson

This thread makes baby jesus cry.

12. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

So if you had to pick you would take Ausmus over Mike Piazza?

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Pierzynski is no Piazza.

15. msn

msn Member

That depends on the team I already have assembled. If I'm the Astros of recent years, an offensive juggernaut 1-6 with marginally decent hitting at 7, I take Ausmus as I don't need another thunder-stick in the lineup and I understand what his superior receiving skills do for my pitcher.* In that instance, his defense *far* outweighs his offense.

If I'm the Mets of a few years ago, and I'm pretty good defensively but need to add some pop in my lineup, I choose Piazza over Ausmus (if I even have the option). You will note that last year, when the Mets had other big hitters (or so one thought), Piazza's atrocious defense had them experimenting with him at 1B instead of at C.

*Watch how Ausmus and Matheny receive pitches, and also the timing of how they set up at the plate. Then watch others. These guys are really good. Really. Good.

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Im not saying you need a Mike Piazza behind home plate. All Im saying is that it would be nice if we had a catcher who could give us just a little something at the plate. Ausmus gives you next to nothing at the plate. IMO he is the worst everyday offensive player in baseball and his defense is not nearly as good as it once was.

17. msn

msn Member

Well, there are plenty of everyday players who were worse offensively than Ausmus, but he *is* below average. Just not the worst.

His defense hasn't really declined, if you look at it with all the factors involved. --His receiving and game calling are every bit as good as always, and those are the single biggest factors for catchers (really). Check the PB numbers, and they are still stellar. Secondly, his CS numbers have as much to do with the slower, more methodical power pitchers (Oswalt, Clemens, Miller) as they have to do with an older arm. You will notice next year that guys will get caught stealing when Andy is pitching. His delivery is quick to the plate; he's wicked hard to steal off of. So were Shaner and Hampy.

18. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

signed to a 1-yr deal with white sox already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.