1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Offseason] Carlos Beltran Thread 12-16-04

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Dec 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

just had a depressign conversation with a buddy of mine that is a yankee fan. the scuttlebut he is hearing (no source cites, sorry) and his own speculation is that the yankees may be willing to overpay for Beltran because he is the final piece they are missing - an elite center fielder. There does not appear to be another one like him that may become available anytime soon.

again, unspecified scuttlebutt and speculation, but this makes some sense to me. If the yanks decide to overpay, we're screwed. not out of a lack of effort by Astros management, but another example of the yankee evil empire.

2. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

It's those "Can't tell connections", you can't tell if they are right or wrong.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

Or Cameron Drew

Or Eric Yelding

Or James Mouton

Or Tuffy Rhodes

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Or Brian Hunter.
    Or Chuck Carr.

Yes, the Stros have quite the CF legacy to live up to...

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

You didn't just bash Chucky Carr now ..................:mad: :mad:

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Asked once why he ignored a take sign with a 2-0 count, Chucky replied, "That ain't Chucky's game. Chucky's hacking on 2-0."

If the true measure of players was solely their self-opinion, Chucky Carr would have been one of the all-time greats.

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Seems to go against everything the Yanks have done so far this offseason. If they really wanted to overpay for Beltran, and really thought he was the final piece, wouldn't they have locked him up by now? Besdies, Bernie is more than serviceable out in center (though he is getting older) and they have enough bats in the lineup, hence their final piece was more or less pitching, which they seemed to have finally gotten sowed up w/ acquiring Johnson.

The impression that I'm left w/ is that nobody is falling for Boras' games and no team is gonna really overpay for him. So it'll come down to who he wants to play for more...and if he wants to go to a winner...it's the Yankees or Astros.

8. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

I was listening to 790 a little while ago and they mentioned the rumored Mets offer.

8 years and between 120 and 140 million

Obviously i don't think he'll go to the Mets if he wants to win. However i do worry that the Yankees will swoop in with an outrageous offer to outdue their cross town rival.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Pretty much every deal mentioned so far has been rumored. No one even knows if Boras' parameters were real. It will come down to as late as Sat afternoon before we Astros fans know anything. I hope it's sooner so the thread title can be changed to "Beltran signs with Houston."

10. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

if this is true....we are FORNICATED

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I disagree. I think that McLane is willing to sign him to that many years.

12. Houstonrocketss

Beltran goes to the Mets he will stew in his own fieces, perhaps Rich but for example....see TEXAS RANGERS and AROD fiasco.

Go to the Mets Beltran and enjoy your losing streak.

:mad:

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

If its that, we're out...We'll go $100, but that's it...There has to be something we could do, such as backend a deal when Bagwell retires, Beltran's salary increases, etc...

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, as someone else said, if the Yankees don't take the rumored Mets offer as a challenge and really jump into the game, then this whole thing really will come down to money or winning for Carlos. He won't be able to seriously say he thinks the Mets will win...not with a straight face. So if he takes any offer they make, everyone will know the truth of the situation.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's really not that much bigger an offer than our rumored one. It just has more years and I'm positive that McLane won't let him go on years.

16. plee

plee Member

Agreed. But again, seems like these "rumors" always try to get people into a bidding war. Maybe, it might be from SB's camp, no, he's a good guy and would never do that :D

17. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I think some of you guys are underestimating the Mets. They are not as bad as you guys think. They are going to be in a tough division but they will be a very good team.

18. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Time for Castor to start the 3rd and final Carlos Beltran watch thread. No?

Anyway we have just 5 days left to sign Beltran. January 8 is looming faster than I care. I could use a favorable breaking news.

19. fya

fya Member

Not sure if this is helpful, probably B.S but ben maller (radio host) states

Despite some reports that have Houston's bid at $96 million over six years, the offer on the table from Drayton McLane and rookie GM Tim Purpura is five years, $70 million with a sixth-year option that includes a $5 million buyout. That's $75 million guaranteed—a whopping $125 million less than Scott Boras dreamed of after Carlos Beltran's monster postseason. There was a rumor making the rounds in the playoffs that Beltran's wife was not welcomed by the Houston wives. For whatever reason, Beltran's old associates in Kansas City have been speculating consistently he's going to wind up with the Cubs.

http://www.benmaller.com/

Take it for what it's worth......heh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.