1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McGrady pushing for Magic to sign Antonio Davis

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Jun 21, 2001.

1. mfclark

mfclark Member

He said what he did because he's trying to point out how Vince wouldn't allow him to develop. He knew he was better than Vince then and proved it this season. Now, with the return of Hill, McGrady knows there will be no problems with who is the 1st option, whether it be himself or Grant.

And McGrady still would've developed should Hill have been healthy this season. Maybe not with the 27ppg totals, but with a more all-around game with numbers along the lines of 22ppg, 8rpg, and 6apg. That's what you'll see from both of them next year and what you would've seen this year as McGrady matured and came into his own.

Hill's all about winning now; Vince is/was all about keeping the spotlight to himself; and that's where the difference between the situaitons with McGrady comes in. You all are misconstruing TMac's quote in order to make him look like an egotistical player a la Kobe Bryant, something that he is not.

------------------

2. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Are you sure about that? I could've sworn that at the time, Orlando was offering more money than what Toronto can give. If what you said is correct, I will retract my "McGreedy" statement.

Yes, there wasn't any problems btw McGrady & Carter that we (as fans) know of during the season, but apparently, there were problems. McGrady (or his mommy, I am pretty sure it was his mom that made the claim) claims that he needs to leave Toronto because Carter was preventing him from breaking out. This "prevention" couldn't have happened after McGrady joined Orlando.

I don't get it, how did McGrady or you see Carter preventing McGrady from developing? By the # of touches on the ball? If that is the case, does he expect the same amount of touches as last year when Hill comes back? If he doesn't care who is the 1st option, he would've stayed in Toronto.

Another thing that bothered me about McGrady was that when they asked him if he will return to Toronto (near the end of the season), he kept saying "Oh I love it here, if the coach returns & my teammates return, I will definately stay." Well, the coach returned as well as the teamates that he was so fond of, but did he?

I have no problem with him wanting to leave Toronto if he just say it flat out, just don't use your coach and/or teamate as your excuse in leaving Toronto if that was your intention all along. Heck, just say "I have to look at all options before I decide." would've been fine with me.

I don't doubt his skill, but he & his mommy (what's going on with all these mommy on TV/newspaper) just rubs me the wrong way with the way they acted during that off season.

If McGrady plays well with Hill this coming season, I will re-evalute my view of McGrady.

And please don't read this as an endorsement for Carter.

------------------
    15 years later... Zoom

[This message has been edited by MoonBus (edited June 22, 2001).]