1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Who Wants to be a Ref?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BobFinn*, Aug 31, 2000.

Tags:
  1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Not me.

Thursday August 31 6:44 PM ET
    Player Jailed for Hitting Ref

MUSKEGON, Mich. (AP) - A soccer player who punched a referee during a game received a 15-day jail sentence after pleading guilty to assault and battery.

Chung Jung, 34, of Muskegon, also was ordered to serve one year of probation and fined $300 by Muskegon County District Judge Michael Nolan.

In addition, Jung was banned from the league and from the Norton Pines Athletic Club in Norton Shores. The referee, Frank Roder, was punched in the head during a game at the club's indoor soccer facility on May 11.

Roder, 51, of Grand Haven, said he insisted that Jung be prosecuted to help curb unsportsmanlike conduct. Nolan accepted the plea and imposed the sentence Aug. 25.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

2. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Contributing Member

The past 3 Springs I have umpired Little League Baseball in North Suburban Houston. Overall, its been a great experience and very fun. However, especially towards the High School (HS) and College age umps there is a startling lack of respect.

3 seasons ago, my Jr. yr. in HS & my 1st season umping, I had a 7 yr. old machine pitch manager go off on me after the game in front of his kids. He criticized my ability and a close call @ 1st base (I was the base ump). He then proceded to call that call "f-ing bull****". Right in front of everyone. He ended up getting a 2 game suspension and he lost his team after the year, but incidents like that keep rising. And sadly incidents involving physical contact too.

Unfortunately, I see nothing to stop the soccer hooliganzation of American Sports, especially since most of these incidents are not dealt with legally.

Rob

P.S. Hey Finn you ready for some Football?

------------------
    &lt;i&gt;Jock Talk&lt;/i&gt;, Tuesdays from 7-8 on KTXT. Listen live @ <A HREF="http://www.ttu.edu/~ktxt/

visit" TARGET=_blank>www.ttu.edu/~ktxt/

visit</A> my website @ http://home.icq.com/bayoucitybob/

1999-2000 Sportscaster of the Year @ KTXT-FM, Lubbock

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Rob,

Lets get ready to rumble!!!

The kids are the losers in this anger/violence in Little League Sports. I would never coach a team either. Parents get out of hand if their kid doesn't play. Every kid should get to play, thats only fair, but, you can't shine s**t, as someone used to say [​IMG]

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

4. dc sports

dc sports Member

I read about a class for little league soccer parents in one town. It was sponsored by some company -- free to the parents. It included a class for the parents on how to support their kids without pushing them. It also required them to spend a few games without talking. They could clap and wave, but had to keep their mouth's shut. It was reported to be a huge success. The kids, and their parents, enjoyed the games more.

Hopefully, we'll see more of these classes.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

5. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

They should start requiring parents to attend anger management classes that do stupid $hit like that!

------------------
    Don't you have anything better to do?