1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Grant Hill and Orlando Magic fined. . .for donating to charity!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocksMillenium, Jun 21, 2001.

1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

That's right, David "The Dictator" Stern has taken it to ANOTHER level! My words can't do it justice, here's the article:

<A HREF="http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2001/0621/1216740.html">Magic stunned by NBA's grinch-like tactics</a>

Magic stunned by NBA's grinch-like tactic

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Orlando Magic team president Bob Vander Weide has drawn a line in the sand with the NBA over a $15,000 fine.
    The Magic are refusing to pay the fine for giving money to Grant Hill's favorite charity, according to a report in the Orlando Sentinel.

The Magic gave $50,000 to Seniors First in Orlando this spring after Hill was named the winner of the Rich and Helen DeVos Community Enrichment Award, given annually to a Magic player who is recognized for outstanding community involvement.

That's where the NBA stepped in, notifying the Magic on June 4 that the donation was viewed as circumvention of the league's salary-cap rules. The fine, which was due to be paid by June 15, has gone unpaid at the insistence of Vander Weide, who personally wrote "Do Not Pay" on it before it left his desk.

"My first thought was, 'you have got to be kidding me.' It was almost laughable, in a way," Vander Weide told the Sentinel on Wednesday. "I was incredibly disappointed. We have no intention of paying this. And the league should know that."

This is the sixth consecutive year the team has presented the award and $50,000 donation, although it's the first time the Magic were made aware of any problem. The winner is chosen by a panel of community leaders. The players never see any of the money because it goes directly to their chosen charities.

"From a league that encourages us to run good community programs, this came from out of the blue. It was a real slap in the face," Vander Weide told the newspaper. "And we got no explanation. We're still waiting for one."

Joe Litvin, the NBA's general counsel, said Wednesday night that this issue isn't new.

"A charitable contribution on behalf of a player always has been a cap violation," Litvin said. "It seems hypertechnical, but we don't have room to make exceptions."

"I would call this a minor infraction, but it's a rule we have to enforce," Litvin said.

The NBA viewed the donation to Hill as adding to his contract value, which already is at the maximum allowed under the collective bargaining agreement between the league and the NBA Players Association.

Hill -- a five-time All-Star -- only played in four games last season after the Magic signed him to a a seven-year, $92 million contract in free agency. He is expected to return to action next season.

"In all honesty, these kind of things are often not brought to our attention, and the Magic may not have been aware that this was considered a violation," Litvin said.

"This is what the NBA is supposed to be about, giving back to the community," said Sheri McInvale, spokesman for the Seniors First. "It sounds like semantics to me."

------------------
    "Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat!" - Jesse Ventura

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited June 21, 2001).]

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

lol! But, the league might be right. I suppose they will have to litigate to see if it is actually an infraction on the CBA. Now that the Magic are aware of the rule, I'm sure they'll find a way to continue the practice in a way that won't incur a fine.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

this seems like it was randomly inserted into the paragraph:
    What does Grant Hill have to do w/ that charity other than the fact that he was recognized by the group? It sounds as if the NBA is wrong on this one.

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

What does Grant Hill have to do w/ that charity other than the fact that he was recognized by the group? It sounds as if the NBA is wrong on this one.

It depends on whether the donation was done in the name of the Magic, or in Hill's name. If it was done in Hill's name, then he gets a charitable deduction on his tax return - so he could benefit economically from the charitable donation, by about $20,000 or so. Not much, but still a cap violation...

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Ridiculous.....

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.