1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Education in Texas and the TAAS test.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dc sports, Aug 7, 2000.

1. dc sports

dc sports Member

Amen. My parents are teachers, and have had exactly the same concern.

I am also aware of cases where students likely to get low test grades were told that their absenses would be excused on testing day. The bonuses are also tied to meeting goals, which include scores by ethnicity. So for instance, if the school wasn't meeting it's goal for male hispanic students in math, male hispanic students with weak math skills were encouragaed to miss.

The testing has lost it's origional intent -- it's gone. It tests how well the schools prepare their students for the tests, rather than being a useful tool for measuring performance and evaluating weaknesses.

Thank you Behad! You get an A+!

------------------
    Stay Cool...

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

More facts about the TAAS test...

Facts & statements concerning TAAS test and education reform in Texas-

Only 41% of the school day is devoted to academic learning.

Class time lost due to 'teaching the TAAS test.

TAAS test performance involves financial incentives for performing well.

60% of teachers say the TAAS test has not improved students' academic skills.

As TAAS scores rise, SAT scores decrease or remain flat due to the fact that the TAAS test is a "dumbed-down"
    exam.

54% of students failed the high school exit level TAAS test on first attempt even though the most rigorous
    elements were 8th
    grade level combined with 5th through 7th grade material.

TAAS test stresses an "egalitarian strategy," as equal outcomes or achievement replace equal opportunity.

53% of college freshman require remediation, yet only 5% are successfully remediated.

Texas students requiring remediation has grown 16% over the past three years.

74% of 4th graders cannot read proficiently.

82% of 8th graders are not proficient in math.

Remediation is extremely expensive: from $35 million in 1988-1989 biennium to 1998-1999 fiscal biennium of $180
    million, a
    514% increase.

The TAAS test neglects the intellectual development of gifted and highly motivated students in Texas.

------------------
    Save our children from the TAAS test:
    http://www.law.harvard.edu/groups/civilrights/conferences/testing98/drafts/mc neil_valenzuela.html
    http://www.parentscoalition.org/resources/fact-sheets/taas.htm

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

I thought 100% of the school day was devoted towards using the word YALL correctly and as much as possible. [​IMG]

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Yall are fixin' to get a whoppin'.

[​IMG]

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

5. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeff/DC,

My mother is a speech pathologist who works for a bracnh of HISD, but not in any schools - she works with the severe cases in hospitals, wards, homebound, etc. Kids that cannot function and could never go to a regular school.

Every evaluation, she must demonstrate how she is "TAAS Compliant." It is illegal for her to develop long running lesson plans without putting an emphasis on TAAS.

For children who have no need for that drivel.

A girl in an iron lung (yes, they still do that) who cannot communicate completely with her parents. Don't use your well experimented routines that have won you awards. Don't rely on modern technology that can facilitate learning. No, teach her how to pass the TAAS. One day, she will thank you for it. What, she can't hold a pencil? She cannot articulate. Well, I am sure she is happier, and smarter.
    [​IMG]

------------------
    Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Yah, I think the TAAS is messed up.

Schools need to get kids interested in learning, not passing a stupid test. My wife is going to be a teacher this coming school year, and she has already done some student teaching, from 2nd to 4th grade.

I am not sure how it is up there, but down here all the rage is the test scores. Campuses are given labels based on the scores. Like if 95% pass you are "exemplerary". If the school has bad test scores, then you know what? It is an uphill battle to find a teaching job for another school because everyone wants teachers who can teach TAAS.

One school my wife went to was even more centered on TAAS than most. All they did were freaking TAAS test practice worksheets. No real history, no science, no UIL, nothing that did not pertain to the TAAS. My wife used point system to reward groups of kids that behaved and tried hard. Before she put her little system in place, you know what some of the kids asked for as rewards? Time set aside for art and music!

UGHHH! This is just ridiculous.

Certification is a joke too, methinks.

had to rant.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

7. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Crisco,

Certification is a joke. It was alwys a family joke growing up that my father, despite having 3 degrees (almost 4), was not qaulified to teach at my elementary/middle/high school.

Instead, people who could not form a complete sentence were teaching me how to read. They had a piece of paper that said they were certified.

------------------
    Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit

8. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

The TAAS test has nothing to do with learning. I know this because I went through the Texas educational system at a time when standardized tests were "in". I believe in my academic career I have taken five different standardized tests. Some I took only once, some I took repeatedly.

If it was bad then, I shudder to think what it's like now.

My class would spend at least 15 - 20 minutes in each class(except one, but that was due to the fact we had an excellent teacher, which sadly was the exception to the rule) doing work to prepare us for the TAAS test. Very rarely did any of it involve any actual teaching, but instead was merely a course in how to take the TAAS. Of course, this got much worse when approaching the actual testing date, when we would spend the entire class period being taught the test. Needless to say, no learning took place.

It does need to be said that I took the test back when it was not nearly as important as it is now. But, even so, I can say with absolute concrete certainty that I learned nothing from the TAAS test that will ever, ever serve me later in life. It was a gigantic waste of time.

------------------
    Who would've thought Don Nelson would pass up Olumide Oyedeji not once, not twice, but thrice?

[This message has been edited by Puedlfor (edited August 07, 2000).]

9. TraJ

TraJ Member

Crisco,

What grade? My wife is starting her first full year (she took over midway through last year). She really likes second grade because she doesn't have to worry about all the TAAS stuff as much, since kids don't actually starting taking it until third grade.

------------------

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!!!

As the child of teachers, I can tell you that you have a whole bunch of teachers and administrators in your corner!

------------------
    SaveOurRockets.com

11. Behad

The following are excerpts from a report on Texas and the TAAS test. Here is the link to the full version: http://www.law.harvard.edu/groups/civilrights/conferences/testing98/drafts/mc neil_valenzuela.html

Those who promote state systems of standardized testing claim that these systems raise the quality of education and do so in ways that are measurable and generalizable. They attribute low test scores to management’s failure to direct its "lowest level" employees (i.e., the teachers) to induce achievement in students. In Texas, the remedy to this situation has been to create a management system that will change behavior, particularly the behavior of teachers, through increased accountability.....
    ....that the TAAS system of testing is reducing the quality and quantity of education offered to the children of Texas. Most damaging are the effects of the TAAS system of testing on poor and minority youth.
    ...behind the rhetoric of rising test scores are a growing set of classroom practices in which test-prep activities are usurping a substantive curriculum. These practices are more widespread in those schools where administrator pay is tied to test scores and where test scores have been historically low.
    ...the TAAS system fosters an artificial curriculum. It is a curriculum aimed primarily at creating higher test scores, not a curriculum that will educate these children for productive futures.
    ...For example, high school teachers report that although practice tests and classroom drills have raised the pass rate for the reading section of the TAAS at their school, many of their students are unable to use those same skills for actual reading.

The report itself is quite long, but it is a MUST READ for anyone with children in the Texas school system. I have three children myself, and I am extremely concerned that our school district (Clear Creek ISD) has forgotten about teaching our children and instead has focused their attention on increasing their incentive packages. Did you know that Little League baseball is suspended for three days during the testing period? Or that the parents of one of the smartest kids in the class were asked to change their vacation plans so that the child would be in school for the tests?

For our children's sake, please write your congressman and tell him that Texans want TAAS scores to be DETATCHED from teacher and administrator evaluations and incentives.

------------------
    Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes. There's too much
    fraternizing with the enemy.

[This message has been edited by Behad (edited August 07, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Behad (edited August 07, 2000).]

12. Behad

Thanks for all the comments. This is a battle my wife and I have just begun to wage. I have a personal interest in seeing that teachers and administrators pay are not tied to TAAS scores, and your stories about the TAAS test are appreciated.

Behad

------------------
    http://www.law.harvard.edu/groups/civilrights/conferences/testing98/drafts/mc neil_valenzuela.html

[This message has been edited by Behad (edited August 08, 2000).]

13. dc sports

dc sports Member

Behad,

I would suggest getting in touch with the teacher's union. (I apologize, but the exact name doesn't come to mind right now.) Pretty much all educators are a part of it. I'll bet they would be happy to help you in any way, including who to go to in the school district, and which board members will respond to your concerns.

I haven't heard of any teacher being in favor of TAAS testing, at least used the way it has been. It was meant to be a standardized measure of basic skills, which would point out trouble areas. That's great. But it's gone way off track.

It's crazy how standardized testing has affected the Texas Education System. Another good example is the TASP test, used by Texas Public Colleges. It was meant to be a measure of basic skills (yes, again!) for public Colleges and Jr. Colleges, but has turned into an obstacle for many that is turning them away from Jr. College.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Traj, she is going to teach in 2nd this year, but she was a student teacher in 3rd and 4th, so she knows quite a bit about the TAAS frenzy.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

15. Behad

Thanks for the advice Jeff. I have gotten in touch with someone who has started this battle in another school district, and we are going to get together and create a plan of action.
    If there is anyone on this board who has children in the Clear Creek school district and has had a problem with the way the TAAS is administrated, please contact me at behad@yahoo.com . Thanks.

------------------

16. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Brian, MadMax and others:

I find this post very interesting because it stands in conflict with Bush's claims to success with Texas education.

Is their a response that Bush has given to these sorts of critiques? Is Bush merely stroking concerns with his rhetoric on education? Is this a situation when the politicians will just say "hey look... sparklers!"?

Hmmmm.... sparklers.

------------------
    "At one of these governors' conferences, George [W. Bush] turns to me and says: 'What are they talking about?' I said: 'I don't know.' He said: 'You don't know anything, do you?' And I said: 'Not one thing.' [Bush] said: 'Neither do I.' And we kind of high-fived."
    --Republican Gov. Gary Johnson of New Mexico shares a verbal exchange that took place between he and George W. Bush.

(Quote is from the Los Angeles Times, 5/31/00)
    Dubyah Speaks

17. Behad

So far as I can tell, no one has called him on it. All he does is point to the rising test scores and says "Look what I did for education in Texas." That is my reason for starting this....to get the word out that there are problems in the Texas educational system that need to be addressed. The basing of administrators' incentives to test results is wrong and must be changed! What's next? More pay for higher graduation rates? Just think how many kids will get pushed thru the system if that happens.

------------------

18. Behad

19. dc sports

dc sports Member

It probably depends on the district then. Where I grew up, the union officers would bend over backwards to help.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

dc/behad - I would not suggest contacting the local teachers union. The head of the local teachers union will not help. Trust me on this one! My mom dealt with her all the time and my father still does.

------------------
    SaveOurRockets.com