1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official 2005 Opening Day Line-up Predictions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKMAN, Nov 13, 2004.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Nice of you to use to pitchers who are often injured, and has bad offensive support, to make your case. You want me to make a list of mediocre pitchers around the league with 15+ wins, the past few years? Does this somehow make those catchers "great at handling pitchers?"

Actually, the pitching staffs that managed to do the best with few talent are the Braves and Cardinals. Cardinals have Matheney. But the Braves had a guy who was just a prospect with the Phillies a couple of years ago.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No... but you can't honestly believe that Kerry Wood, etc. would NOT benefit from a catcher who knows the game. That would save him a few missed games from his suspensions alone...

Look, once again, I'm not saying Ausmus is the best catcher alive... I'm just saying that if you're choosing between catchers who are all average, I'd rather have a guy like Ausmus or Matheny who are great influences on the field (basically an extension of the manager).

3. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

LF- Biggio/Lane platoon
    CF- Beltran (15 mil/7 yrs)
    RF- Berkman/Lane
    1B- Bagwell
    2B- Kent
    SS- Everett
    3B- Glaus*
    C- Ausmus

SP- Oswalt
    SP- Clemens
    SP- Pettitte
    SP- Miller
    SP- Backe

Bullpen:
    Hernandez/Redding
    Wheeler
    Qualls
    Harville
    Kline*
    Lidge

I'm excited about 2005.

By the way, Purpura has already stated that they're going to take care of Kent's contract situation BEFORE going after Beltran. Kent has made efforts to redo his contract so I think he's staying one more year for about 4-6 mil.

The Yanks are capped out and can't get rid of ANY of their players. What are they going to do.. over half their team is overpaid and they can't trade any of them. Beltran's only other viable options are Houston and Chicago.. Beltran is going to stay. He's definitely not going to get the 10 yr deal that's been talked about.. I say 7 yr at 15 mil.

I want to see Bagwell's new, straight batting stance.. it'd be so awesome to see him come back with .320 and 35 HR again.

My buddy here at work plays in an amateur league and actually knows Troy Glaus. He had an injury-riddled season in 2004 (18 HR's in only 58 games) and he's a FA who's expressed interest in Houston. And if he fails, we still have Ensberg/Lamb. Why not?

We need a bullpen arm or two (or three). I want to see a good lefty in Kline come over and dirty up an Astros cap. I'd like to see one more arm in the bullpen or an upgrade at catcher. I also think we see Buchholz called up for the first time next year.. i'm REALLY excited about that.

If Purpura can get all this done by January or so.. I say Clemens HAS to come back for one more.

Go Stros!

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

LF-Jose Cruz
    CF-Cesar Cedeno
    RF-Kevin Bass
    3B-Doug Rader
    SS-Dickie Thon
    2B - Bill Doran
    1B - Glenn Davis
    C- Alan Ashby
    P-Charlie Kerfeld

:eek:

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

You mean the way Tim Redding, Pete Munro, Carlos Hernandez, and our whole bullpen minus Brad Lidge has "benefited" from Ausmus?

My whole point was that I just haven't seen any evidence to show that Ausmus works magic for his pitchers.

You know, I do think Ausmus is probably one of the better catchers in the game as far as calling pitches. But if you think he's an "average" catcher, then you're probably thinking of Brad Ausmus a few years back. Ausmus' bat has steadily declined from bad to downright atrocious, while his defense went from Gold Glove to average.

An average defensive catcher with a pitcher's bat is just not good enough. At the very least, the Astros should bring a journeyman catcher who can hit a little for a mil or two. Then they can split time behind the plate.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ausmus is not a miracle worker... he cannot help you if you either have no "stuff" to begin with (Munro, Hernandez-post surgery), or if you're so messed up in the head that you should be commited (Redding).

I do feel he helped Roger adjust big-time, and he helped establish Roy and Wade when he first came up to the big leagues... but I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

As far as acquiring an "average" catcher, do you really think Ausmus's defense is costing us that much, or that his lack of a bat is so hindering, that you'd be willing to spend 2-3 extra million for a position player that normally isn't supposed to produce much anyways?

Besides, I just cant think of anybody that's "available" that I'd be willing to spend that money on... throw some names out there.

#26 Nick, Nov 16, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

My problem with BA is he is a d-u-m-b hitter, swinging from his heels as if he's the Crawford Boxes worst enemy. If he'd view the latter career of Bob Boone, who went from hitless to an effective batter/situational hitter tough out, particularly in critical situations (like getting to the pitcher before wasting a PH or easy out at start of next inning).

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You guys can say what you want about Brad Ausmus' offense (and honestly, it really isn't critical at all to this team... but whatever).... just remember that he was the one who started our magical post-season run with his homer against Atlanta.

You could see the relief on everybody's face after that shot... and they ended up steamrolling with the bats.

9. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I seriously hope that your joking with that comment. How is his lack of hitting not critical to the team? If the #5 and #6 hitter get on base, the #7 sacrifices #5 to third and there's already two outs, then who does that leave it up to bring #5 home? Thats right, Brad "Couldn't Hit the Broadside of a Barn" Ausmus.

I am so sick of hearing how well he calls a game. His defense has fallen off greatly and no longer makes up for what he lacks offensively. If he is so good at calling a game and a great mentor to the young pitching staff, then he needs to be a coach. The only weak link in your lineup should be the pitcher, there is no excuse for his piss-poor play at the plate.

10. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

If we keep Beltran, Purpura is GM of the year. However, im not that optimistic.

RF - Lane
    CF - Biggio
    LF - Berkman
    1B - Bagwell
    2B - Kent
    3B - Ensberg
    SS - Everett
    C -Ausmus

SP - Oswalt
    - Clemens
    - Pettite
    - Miller
    - Backe

Bullpen
    - Lidge
    - Qualls
    - Wheeler
    - Harville
    - Any lefty other than Gallo

Prove me wrong tim. :D

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

If we can't get Kent, Rocket or Beltran forget about it. It's over. I hate to say it, because I love the Astros so dearly, but if they can't make these moves happen, there in big trouble next year.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If the #7 hitter is sacrificing with runners on 1st and 2nd with already one out, the manager should be fired.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Of course he helped Roger and Roy and Wade. But the point is, would another catcher hurt them? If Ausmus isn't a "miracle worker" behind the plate, then why do people keep saying how important his calling the game is? Isn't that the whole point behind those who Ausmus is beneficial to our club? That his calling the game can make pitchers better? I'm sure Roger felt that Ausmus helped him adjust to the NL. But how does it matter? Randy Johnson certainly didn't suddenly turn worse when he left Ausmus and the Astros for the Dbacks.

Ausmus MAKES $1-2 mil, I can't remember exactly. If you want my opinion, I'd go ahead and trade for a AAA catcher with lots of defense and no pop. His production wouldn't be all that different from Ausmus. Saves the club $1 mil for the next couple of years. And keeps the seat warm for one of our catching prospects in the minors.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Maybe. Or maybe the money gets spent elsewhere, and works out.

Pettitte + Miller + full season of Backe should exceed Rocket + Munro + Redding/Carlos/Duckworthless.

Beltran and injured til May, and then what? Berkman would be tougher to replace. Lane + who, the return of Doggie?

Burke can catch the ball and run, so if he can hit an ok 275 + return and development of Everett along with Viz (he'll be back???) and return to form of Ensberg and the infield should be as good - or better.

15. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

Nobody asked you. Who died and made you God?

16. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

So why should the manager be fired if the #7 hitter sacrifices on a pop fly?

Either way the point of my post was that Ausmus may prepare like a manager, but he doesn't play well anymore and he doesn't do anything all that special that another catcher couldn't do just as well with a little time and preparation.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Technically the only way you can "sacrifice on a pop fly" is if the runner scores from third. When you wrote sacrifice, I (and I suspect most folks) took that to mean bunting the runner(s) over. When you fly out and a runner advances from 1st to second or 2nd to third, it is not a sacrifice.