1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yahoo: Astros' biggest need is at center field

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=insidedishastrosbiggestn&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Adding a free-agent third baseman such as Adrian Beltre or Troy Glaus might make sense for the Astros if they lose CF Carlos Beltran and 2B Jeff Kent as free agents -- or even if they only lose Beltran. The Astros, however, might not be ready to give up on 3B Morgan Ensberg. The team's greater need probably is in the outfield. J.D. Drew might fit in center. . . .

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Adrian Beltre scares me a lot. A guy that's often injured with only one great year is a serious red flag. Then again, there's zero chance the Astros will sign him. 3rd base ranks pretty low on their priorities for this offseason.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

JD Drew had a nice year, but once he gets comfortable, we know what's going to happen.

4. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

This scares me, too.

I went to see Buzz Bissinger (author of Friday Night Lights) do a talk a couple weeks ago. He was talking about his next book, 3 Days in August, which is about the St Louis Cardinals (he was with them in 2003).

Anyway, Buzz was asked about modern pro athletes compared with the high school kids he wrote about, and he riffed on how selfish the pro players were. Buzz claimed that LaRussa called Drew the most talented player he ever coached but was exasperated because he "just can't motivate the guy."

Sure enough, Drew was on the Braves the year after LaRussa said this.

Maybe JD's changed (he was great last year), but it's a high-priced gamble that he's got his head screwed on straight now.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Same thing that happens with Beltran?

:)

DD

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play center field.

- CB

Take your pick, but I sure hope it's Beltran.

7. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Adrian Beltre has the skill and talent to be a great third baseman, however he played really well in his contract year, and tht feels eerily similar to Richard Hidalgo's play of 2000, before he signed a big money contract.

I hope that Willy Tavares is seriously contending for the starting spot in CF this spring, if the Astros lose out on Carlos Beltran. I just cannot imagine the Astros putting Biggio back in CF again, IMO he can't play it adequately and most likely would not last the season playing CF physically.

That being said, I'd like to why the Astros aren't trying to talk to Carl Pavano. He will come with a hefty price tag, but you can never have too much pitching. Especially in the event that Clemens' 99.9% turn to 100% and he retires.

Come on Purpura, build that bullpen, sign Beltran and lets go for it again in 2005