1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astro Rumor

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RKMAN, Jul 25, 2000.

1. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

Rumor has it, Astros are trying to dump Shane Reynolds to the White Sox for 4 pitching prospects...

I like the deal. Since we are "retooling," why not get 'rid of Reynolds instead of Lima.

------------------
    RKMAN

President of the "Swoopes is the hottest woman in the WNBA" club.

2. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

maybe i am not too with it..but why are we talking about re-tooling? isnt alou, bagwell, biggio, lima, reynolds, at the prime or in the best years of their career?

i realize we lost a few people last year but if we added a few players in theory wouldnt we be back in the hunt? i know this year is a lost issue but we could add a few players in the offseason and be ready to go to war...

or are you telling me drayton got his stadium and we should just take it in the rear and be the freaking joke of the leaugue?
    this team with the guys we have is the best chance we have..there is no such thing as addition by subtraction so getting rid of anyone else for 4 "prospects" is a f-ing joke..if we do that its gonna get much much worse before it gets better...

i am not a baseball guy but it seems pretty obvious to me that would be the case..

it looks to me like drayton pulled one of the biggest sham jobs in houston history...

------------------
    i am scottie brooks

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I, for one, like the Astros chances next year, no matter what they do with the roster before then.

I think we were just snakebit this year.

------------------
    Going for the Rolls Royce!

visit www.swirve.com

4. PhiSlammaJamma

I would have agreed with the snakebit theory about two months ago, but the poor play has continued all season. That's a lot of games. And that's a lot of time to get this straightened out. They haven't. I think we have a pretty bad team. We need to make some moves, but more so for veterans than young kids. Reynolds is at best a three for any team. He's a good pitcher, but nothing more. We are better off keeping him unless some team is real desparate like Texas or Cinn.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

5. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

I'd be interested to know if you know the names of the 4 prospects, and I can get you some info on them. I doubt the Sox would make a trade like that, though...

do you have any names?

------------------

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

There was another rumor: Lima and Alou to Toronto for 2 prospects, etc...But according to 610 that is not true.

------------------

7. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Im inclined to go along with Sir Hangover on this one.

I know Alou has burned alot of bridges, but the man is absolutely producing like no Astro ever has at the plate short of Bagwells strike shortened campain. Hes playing real tenatively in the outfield, and hes been real honest in agreeing with that assesment. But for all the Astros fans complaining about it, if he tore up his knee crashing into the fence or injured himself again, what good would he be sitting out another year?

Bagwell is still in his prime, Biggio may be past it a bit, and has been showing it at the plate. But still a productive player. Hidalgo is blowing up and plays good D. If Cammy can play the way he was this year, next year, and stay healthy. If Mitch continues to progress rapidly. And Berkman stays on Track. The Astros have all the offense theyll need next year. With some decent team speed.

Now add in a revamped Wagner, hopefully he comes back at the same level. If Lima learns to stay away from that belt high changeup hes been serving up for 3 years. And Elarton continues to overpower. The Astros are just some middle relief (actually alot of middle relief) and starting pitching away from competing again. If they could just get one high end pitcher, and two just decent middle relief men that is. Thats not a whole lot of needs.

By the way, where are all those "Dotel is going to Rock this year" people that jumped me when I said hed struggle this year? [​IMG]

8. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

As long as it ain't Garland...Keeley, u think the Sox will pull off a trade before the dealine for a veteren starting pitcher? Man Magglio's on fire... [​IMG] Finally we're ahead of the Indians, damn waited long enough...

------------------
    Now that it seems everyone thinks Rockets blew their picks, you can start reading TDS' 2001 Draft Previews...

Draftsource.net

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I don't agree with this one. If there is a pitcher we need to dump, it is Lima. His pitching style is ill-suited for Enron Field. He needs to play in a nice big ballpark where the long fly balls he gives up turn into long flyouts rather than homeruns.

------------------
    Bring It!!

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If Im correct, isnt Carl Eldred injured or something like that, so couldnt the Sox use a solid veteran pitcher. Reynolds would fit really nice in that rotation and really give you guys some good playoff pitching--remember he won our game against MAddux and the Braves last year. ID be happy for both teams (Im a bandwagon White Sox fan) if a fair trade was executed.

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

11. keeley

If the Sox were to magically get Schilling or Jon Lieber like the Astros got Randy Johnson, only then IMHO would they be better off. That's the kind of guy that it's OK to give the prospects up for.

I don't think Shane Reynolds or Scott Erickson, on the other hand, are worth the talent that the Sox have stocked up on the farm. Eldred going down hurts 'em, but they've got Garland, Myette, Buehrle, and Wells that can take his place. I don't think any of them can pitch as well as Canny Cal did this year, but all of them look like they'll have more productive careers.

Yes, it is great to finally be on top of the Indians. It ain't over yet, though, these are the White Sox. They pissed the Baseball Gods off mightily 81 years ago, and I don't know if they've been forgiven just yet. I am enjoying it while it lasts, that's for sure.

Of course, just like the last group of prospects to break through for the Sox, there is a labor war slated for when the current crop of Sox blossom. Baseball Gods, have ye no mercy? [​IMG]

------------------

12. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

No, I don't have the names. Here's a link that sorta confirms the rumor:
    http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/sside25.html

------------------
    RKMAN

President of the "Swoopes is the hottest woman in the WNBA" club.

13. keeley

That's interesting. If it made the Sun-Times, there's got to be something behind it. If their source wasn't MLBtalk.com, that is...

I still believe that the two guys doing their TV broadcasts act as a mouthpiece for the front office, and it sure sounds as if they would prefer to stand pat. The Sox find themselves in uncharted waters right now, but I'd understand (and agree) if they didn't want to give up the prospects for what would amount to a number 2 pitcher.

------------------

14. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

5 in a row. I would be ecstatic if we could somehow make it to close to .500 by the end of the season. It's been so tough not watching the games or reading the papers. When they lose I have to pretend they didn't play. I know it's sick but I gotaa do what I gotta do to get some sleep at night.

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Dreamshake --

I pride myself on knowing far more about baseball than basketball...and quite frankly more than just about any other subject in the world.

All that just to say...Octavio Dotel is a tremendous talent. His only struggle has been because his arm strength isn't quite yet where it needs to be. As a starter he generally put together 6-7 good innings, then got bombed. Trust me..this guy's stuff is as wicked as I've seen in a long time for someone his age. He now has three relief appearnces and has yet to give up a run. If my memory serves right, he struck out the side in both games he was put in.

His struggles as a starter will be shortlived. Barring injury or something unforeseen, he'll have a very good career. He has ace potential.

------------------

16. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Actually I think Dotel is not doing quite as well as you think. I believe hes averaging something pathetic like 5 innings or so a start. Didnt Lima, or Deirker come down on him for his inability to go more than 5 innings?

Indeed he does have wicked stuff. So wicked he cant find the strike zone for more than an inning or so. Thats why bullpen duty for him (at least right now) is perfect.

As it stands Dotel loses steam real fast, walks way too many batters, and doesnt have command of his pitches. He may be a future star. But through two years now, he hasnt gained any kind of consistancy with his pitches.

------------------
    "OH MY GOD...Stan ate Kenny!"