1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opponents Complain About Enron Roof

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dc sports, Jul 21, 2000.

1. dc sports

dc sports Member

What do you think?

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bb/609340

July 20, 2000, 9:36PM
    Opponents blow open roof debate -- By JOSEPH DUARTE

The retractable roof at Enron Field has been anything but an open-and-shut case. The subject of debate, which naturally is coming from the visiting dugout, has been the timing of when the Astros show off the centerpiece of their $250 million playpen. Many of the opposing managers and players to visit Enron Field this season contend the opening of the roof during a game has an adverse affect on playing conditions.

Their solution: Begin the game with the roof open or closed -- and keep it that way. "It's an unfair advantage," Reds manager Jack McKeon said Wednesday night following a 4-0 victory over the Astros.

Under rules stipulated by Major League Baseball, the Astros can open the roof at the beginning of an inning. Once open it must remain that way the remainder of the game unless told otherwise by the umpire crew chief. Astros officials say a decision on whether the roof will be open or closed is made on a game-by-game case. But with temperatures reaching triple digits, the current plan is to keep the roof closed for most day games. During night games, however, the Astros seldom go the entire game with the roof closed, opting to open it around the sixth inning.

That's when the problem begins, according to many of the 13 clubs to play at Enron Field. It is not uncommon to see the flagpoles in center field at a standstill during the first five innings, only to begin blowing out toward left field after the 12 to 15 minutes it takes to open the roof.

"You change the playing conditions from the sixth inning on," McKeon said. "Everything starts blowing out to left field. It's the same for both teams (when it is closed). What if you have a 4-0 lead and no wind, and all of a sudden in the ninth they hit a ball that goes into the seats?"

That hasn't been the case often this season for the Astros. After Thursday night, they are 16-29 at home and 4-9 during games
    the roof is open and closed.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

2. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Screw em. They're winning more often there than the Astros are. What are they complaining about?

------------------
    You bring the bullets, I'll bring the wine.

3. dc sports

dc sports Member

Cool Brian. That's exactly what I thought.

The roof open is great for the fans. It's a much better experience. But, it's just too hot at the beginning of the games lately to start that way.

I'm a little surprised they don't call a 10 minute break or so. The wind does some really wierd stuff when the roof is partially open. If you get a chance, watch the flags. When the roof is partially open, they blow toward the third base side, then move toward left field. At a certain point, the higher US flag flies a different direction than the two lower flags.

But -- when is wind ever a really predicitable factor in any open stadium?

------------------
    Stay Cool...

4. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

I say "screw 'em" too! This line from the article says it all:

Dude, you won the game! In a shutout no less! So, who has the advantage?

------------------

[This message has been edited by ChrisP (edited July 21, 2000).]

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

How r****ded ... is there really any diffrence except in tempeture?? Anyways, the advantage/disadvantage is even for both sides ... i dunno, maybe Im missing something ... or is it people just like to b**** or perhaps they are just jealous we have a nice stadium?

------------------

6. dc sports

dc sports Member

The stadium does draw a lot of air across the left field wall -- so you could argue that the air flow does change significantly. I suppose you could agrue that since the visitors bat first, they would have to deal with most of the wierd wind currents that occur as the roof is open. But, for the most part it's the same for each team.

He probably just likes to complain -- especially since he won. I'd like to see examples where anything at Enron has given the Astros an advantage.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

7. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Funny, but I lived in Houston for 18 years, and I don't remember any wind in the summer time (Unless a storm was blowing in from the gulf) I do remember that heat with humidity you could cut with a knife

------------------
    "Get up, stand up. Stand up for your right"-Bob Marley

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

All I can say is that both teams have to play under the same conditions. It isn't like the Astros get some kind of special break and the other team doesn't.

That's stupid.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

9. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

I agree, they have not even won half of their home games so show me where it helped them, Coach McKeon! [​IMG]

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

10. dc sports

dc sports Member

They placed Enron in a position to take advantage of the wind coming off the ship channel area (so I'm told). The design of the stadium funnels the wind from the first base side toward and over the left field wall.

They did a good job -- there's a fairly strong breeze. I sat in the upper level with my parents on Wednesday, and we were more comfortable when the roof opened up and we had some wind than we were with it closed, no breeze, and underpowered air conditioning. It was really pleasant when the sun went down and they opened the top.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

McKeon's probably preparing for the day when the Astros are actually competitive again. That way, when he complains it about it then, nobody can say, "why didn't you complain about it when the Astros weren't winning?! Huh?". Little does McKeon know that our winning ways (and days) may be far far off... [​IMG]

------------------
    Just shut up and post

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Don't remember wind??

One of the great things about Houston in the summertime is the breeze at night. Try living in Dallas or Waco...it's freaking 85 degrees there at midnight and it's absolutely still. Houston gets a gulf breeze at night, and it makes a significant difference

------------------