1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MLS is coming to Houston

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rocketsfan Eric, Jun 26, 2000.

1. Rocketsfan Eric

I have heard from a credible source the MLS will announce Houston and Long Island as expansion sites this September for the 2002 season. This is great news. Now all we need is to get the arena deal done, and to eventually get the NHL.

------------------

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Absolutely! Rockets, Comets, Astros, NFL, NHL and MLS - WOW! That would be terrific. I had heard rumors but I am glad to hear that it is closer to reality.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

3. dc sports

dc sports Member

What are the Hotshots?

------------------
    Stay Cool...

4. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Having an MLS team is more than just that. It makes Houston a likelier host for international tournaments and friendlies.
    Mexico vs USA would probably sell well, I'm sure.

Plus, they are damn exciting. I got to see USA beat Brazil in a tournament in LA a few years ago. Even if you aren't a soccer fan you have to appreciate the kind of international press and credibility (not to mention revenue)an event like that gets.

Also MLS is gaining credibility abroad, and more and better foreigners are coming here (albeit older ones). The LA Galaxy made the decison to go after Mexico's biggest star and the crowds filled the Rose Bowl and continue to.

I salivate at the idea of a Paul Ince, or Paul Gascione playing for a Houston team.

At any rate, MLS expansion in Houston can only increase the city's image as a sports town. And the Hotshots, as far as I know are indoor soccer, and corect me if I'm wrong, but are more or less like A or AA in baseball terms?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Deji (edited June 27, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Deji (edited June 27, 2000).]

5. Cougar Brass

Cougar Brass Member

Yes, the Hotshots are the indoor soccer team that play in the Continental Indoor Soccer League. They used to play at the Summit but now play at the Astro Arena.

------------------

6. Caddman

Caddman Contributing Member

Bad News:

Taken from the 7/21/00 edition of USA today:
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/mls/fs/mlsfs09.htm

"Another topic Garber addressed Wednesday was MLS expansion.

As part of its cooperative agreement with the Women's United Soccer
    Association, which debuts next spring, Garber said MLS will own an expansion
    WUSA team in Los Angeles in 2002 and WUSA will own an MLS expansion team in
    Atlanta or Philadelphia the same year. MLS will add a second team in the New
    York area in 2002 -- in Long Island, New York City or New Jersey.

Five cities -- Philadelphia, Atlanta, Seattle, Rochester, N.Y., and
    Houston -- are competing for two MLS expansion slots in 2004. "

If this is true, looks the City of Houston gets the shaft here. By 2002, MLS will have it's choice of 2 stadiums and possibly 2 ownership groups here in Houston. I hope USA Today is wrong and RocketsfanEric is right. I'd say the time for soccer fans in Houston to unite is now. A few of us soccer fans have started a website at www.houston-soccer.com but unfortunately we've been having server problems and the webmaster is out of town. However, there is an email list up and running at:
    http://www.egroups.com/group/houstonmls

It is low volume and I hope the soccer fans will join.

------------------