1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Politicians have too much time on their hands

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Bobby, Jul 18, 2000.

1. Bobby

Bobby Member

Wouldn't you think, that in 224 years, we'd have a law to cover every eventuality. What do our congressmen (and women), and senators really do besides trying to look and act important? They look out for special interests is what they do. Tax breaks here, government handouts there, protection for (name your won special interest group)everywhere. Do any laws ever get repealed or do they just get added to the glut of regulations that few people, other than lawyers and lobbyists can understand? Anyone ever hear of Sunset Laws? Same comments apply to state and local governmental structures as well.

Yet every two years (4 in a presidentail election year), these same turkeys, who we pay $150K a year, spend millions of dollars getting re-elected. Does spending a couple of million to get a job that only pays $150K make sense?

I'm not a Libertarian, but it seems to me that less is more.

------------------
    "Who Wants To Be A Rocket?" - and probably a millionaire as well. The off-season will be interesting!

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

True, true.

The thing is, Mcaine (spelling???) was right on with campaign financing reform, but he was so strongly for that it was hard for others to see that he had opinions on other matters as well. I woulda voted for him if he was still in the running though. Now I have to choose between Bush and Gore, and I really dont want to see both in there so I may jsut not vote for that one. I know they say you should definitely vote, especially if youre young, to let your voice be heard, but it isnt like Im not voting because Im lazy, it is because I have made a poilitical choice and AM trying to let my voice be heard.

SOrry for that tangent

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

3. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Don't give me that ****. If you're not going to vote for president, fine-- leave it blank, or write in Brian Kagy and throw your vote away, or vote for Ralph Nader and REALLY throw your vote away.

But you should still get out and vote for your congressional representatives.

------------------
    You bring the bullets, I'll bring the wine.

[This message has been edited by BrianKagy (edited July 18, 2000).]

4. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Member

...and FOR the Arena Referendum. [​IMG]

------------------
    - hoopjunkie

"when you come in da HOOD... things change."

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

FRANK ZAPPA FOR PRESIDENT!!!

------------------

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

dude-
    chill out and read it again. I said I may not vote for that one. Geez. Not a Houston resident so cant vote for arena....NUTS

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

[This message has been edited by JayZ750 (edited July 18, 2000).]

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Kagy, agreed.

As it stands, my vote for president doesn't matter at all. There's no way Gore will win Texas. However, my votes for my congressman do count, and there the ones more likely to do anything for me anyway.

------------------
    Going for the Rolls Royce!

visit www.swirve.com

8. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Well, technically, neither does your vote for Senator or Representative either, unless you think there's a snowball's chance in hell that Kay Bailey Hutchison or Lloyd Doggett are likely to be unelected. [​IMG]

------------------
    You bring the bullets, I'll bring the wine.