1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cuttino Pippen?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RKMAN, Jul 18, 2000.

1. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

Wow. If Mobley leaves, it will be Pippen all over again. We need General Washington (Rudy T) to hunt down and shoot the trading bastid Mobley (Benedict Arnold), if he leaves that is.

------------------
    RKMAN

President of the "Swoopes is the hottest woman in the WNBA" club.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Couldn't agree more. It would almost be like Pippen all over again. I hope Mobley is just fooling all of us- cause if he isn't, he is not the person I thought he was. Rather, he's being selfish and betraying the team that gave him so much. I hope this is not serious, because if it is and Cuttino were to actually leave, I would have ZERO respect for him anymore.

------------------
    Member of the pro-Collier/Langhi movement. IN RUDY WE TRUST!!

3. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

Worst of all, you'd have to change your username!

------------------
    RKMAN

President of the "Swoopes is the hottest woman in the WNBA" club.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Cat:

1) I have never seen that he would not have been drafted if we hadn't taken him. Besides, if he hadn't been drafted, there are still camps, Europe, CBA, etc. where he could prove himself and then come to the NBA. Also, he cost us almost nothing to draft and he gave us two good years.

2) We gave him the PG spot because the alternative was Drew or Maloney. He played those minutes because he was the best available, not because we were giving him minutes to develop. He earned his minutes by outplaying the other PGs in practice.

3) Mobley may have wanted to move back to SG. But that was obvious anyway: we got Francis and had to play Mobley somewhere; Mobley is not a good PG -- perhaps better than Maloney, but not good.

4) Mobley compliments Francis' game, not the other way around. Also, making it clear to a person that you want them does not put a requirement on them that they should want you.

5) We were also loyal for a long time to a choking Walt Williams. Besides, I don't know how ineffective he ever was. His % was low but heypartner would tell you (if he were here) that Mobley's play was the most effective we had. Besides, when his % was low, Anderson wasn't playing great either. In short, we stuck by him because we didn't have any better options.

6) I agree, Rudy has made him a better player. But does that mean he has to stay a Rocket. We did profit from Rudy making him better, and it wasn't an investment that could have gone elsewhere.

7) Rudy did say something like they wouldn't take a SG because they are happy with the one they have. I think he was referring to Anderson as much as to Mobley. I'm not sure if Rudy would have taken Alexander though, even if he knew Mobley would leave. We would have a good backcourt with or without Mobley.

8) I'm sure there is a wink for more later. That is a contract he can engage in now for the future, not one he had engaged in in the past for the present. It would be adviseable for him to take it, but he hasn't taken it yet. As for the other nice things: my company has done many, many nice things for me and I will probably never find a nicer company, but I'm quiting anyway. Sometimes, you just have to move on.

------------------
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary

http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I'm sorry, I don't post much, but I've got to say something here.

You guys are totally wrong. Cat's actions are NOTHING like quitten's. Cat hasn't trashed the Rockets or the city. He has upheld his end of the bargin 100%. Played with heart and has given everything to Houston. If someone is offering him more money and a chance to start. I say more power to him. But don't go around comparing him to that snot nosed punk.

Its okay for Shandon to punk the spazz and sign for less money to play for the Rockets and we LOVE him. But when the shoe is on the other foot its not okay? please....

------------------

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think anyone in the history of clutchcity has ever said this but: shouldn't this thread be in the main Rockets Action Forum? [​IMG]

As for Mobley, I don't see his departure (which won't happen anyway) as a betrayal at all). He has made no promises to us, unlike Pippen, and isn't under any obligation to re-up with us.

------------------
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary

http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

7. The Cat

Where do we begin? Here's some reasons why he owes us.

1.) Mobley might not even be in the NBA if not for us. It has been documented many times that it was stated by Cat and others that if Houston did not draft him, he would have gone undrafted.

2.) We trusted our team in him, a late 2nd round pick, just a few games games into his rookie season by putting him in as our starting PG. This gave him a chance to get his minutes and shine.

3.) Mobley wanted to be moved to SG from what I understand after the season. We did that.

4.) We made it clear to him he was a very important piece of the puzzle for us and surrounded him with great young players that compliment his game, including Francis.

5.) Even when he struggled, we always ran plays for Cat. We kept him involved, and never gave up on him.

6.) Rudy has had a great effect on Cuttino. He would have been a top 5 pick this year knowing what we do now about him, and we snatched him in the early 40's. Rudy helped him, guided him, gave him the necessary minutes, and made him a better player.

7.) We passed up on Courtney Alexander, a possible Rookie of the Year candidate, with the 9th pick to show Cuttino how much we cared for him and wanted him back.

8.) We are willing to spend the absolute most we possibly can to bring him back, and I'm sure with a "wink" for more later. He has been treated like a king in Houston, and the franchise has done so many things for him.

Overall, when you look at all the factors, Mobley IMO would have to be a complete jerk to leave. It would be a complete betrayal of the team that gave him so much, and needs him so badly.

------------------

8. The Cat

The Shandon situation is not a fair comparison to Mobley. Shandon came here for LESS money, not more. If Mobley was all about getting a starting spot or winning, I wouldn't agree with him but I also wouldn't put him with Pippen. I could understand that to a degree. But if he leaves for money and money alone, and that's the reasoning here, then he is completely classless.

------------------

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

cat,

All valid points. Although one has to remember, Quitten didn't leave over money. He left because he has no heart or soul.

I guess that's where I kind of took umbrage with RKMAN's calling him "cat quitten". I just don't' see the parallel. As much as I hate to admit it, this is a business and players, for the most part, are going to take what they think is the best deal for themselves. Now you may call that "classless", but its the way of the world.

------------------