1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[AP] White House Claims Mandate for Bush Agenda

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by No Worries, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I'd bet everything I own that if Kerry had won, he wouldn't be calling it a mandate, he'd be looking for compromise.

2. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Yeah cause he couldn't do anything himself with 2 republican houses.

3. underoverup

underoverup Member

:confused:

4. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

The Democrats should make a huge fuss immediately! Don't let this statement go!

The ONLY chance this nation has of surviving is a strong Democratic party. When I say "strong," I mean "loud." We need to oppose the Neocons at EVERY turn. Pump out the angry pundits, take over the news cycles, and dominate the media the way the Cons have the last 8 years. That way, when the Republicans complete another disastrous few years, we will be ready to make gains in the Senate and House, while setting the Party up for a takeover in 2008.

Short of impeachment, Bush will be in power for four years. After he's through, I think even a lot of "Moral (ha ha ha) Folks" will see that modern Republicans are the most corrupt, money-driven, uncaring, and all around disgusting political body in American history. By the way, I'm not refering to all republican voters, or even all the politicians, as there are still a few decent ones left. I'm talking specifically about the bigot-filled distortion machine that is currently relying on ignorance and hatred to maintain power.

It will do the Democrats, and Democracy in general, no good to provide any support or unify behind the leader of this party. We need to remain polar opposites of the Republicans. We need to keep this country divided, and grow our progressive base.

Right Wing Conservatism and Democracy don't match. It's time for America to decide what it wants.

Come on Democrats, time to live up to your name!

5. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

A democratic president would have his hands tied with 2 republican houses. He would have had to compromose on everything to get iniatives through congress so he could sign them.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Did he ever mention compromising with the Republicans during his campaign? If so, I must have missed it.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You somehow missed it.

8. No Worries

Bush Pledges to Make Changes to Tax Code
    Nov 4, 7:38 PM (ET)
    By TERENCE HUNT

WASHINGTON (AP) - Contending Americans have embraced his conservative agenda, President Bush pledged Thursday to aggressively pursue major changes in Social Security, the tax code and medical malpractice awards, working with Democrats if they are receptive and leaving them behind if they're not.

Interesting how he did not mention his highest priority of all: a constitutional ammmendment to ban gay marriages. Democrats may be well served to force the Republicans hands on this issue.

9. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

I don't think Bush will actually persue a constitutional ammendment to ban Gay marraige. It will never fly. It just sounded good to the base. Also, remember, he and Kerry had essentially the same position on Gay marraige - they were both against it and for civil unions.

Second, didn't Clinton claim a mandate when he won re-election? And he won with less than 50% of the vote. Why was it okay for him to claim a mandate but not Bush when Bush got a larger percentage?

Clinton Presidency - no info on Clinton claiming a mandate but it does show the percentages by which he won.

10. No Worries

I agree. If the Democrats could force the issue though, Bush would have to walk his talk and face the consequences, good and bad. As an example of forcing the issues, the Democrats could form a 527 and mass mail issue kits to evangelical churchs and light the fire.

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

It's a shame that filibusters exist, otherwise the democratic party gould just take a 2 year vacation. Instead, I predict that it will be hard to get anything substantive to a vote.

12. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I hope the Democrats vote against everything they don't agree with. I hope they make compelling speeches expressing their disagreement. Then I hope they say, "We could filibuster, but this is the government you voted for and we won't obstruct it." And then I hope the Republicans pass every bit of their platform.

13. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Okay, when is the other shoe going to drop? What kind of shoe is it? What size? ... etc

14. ima_drummer2k

Well please fill me in then.

15. No Worries

Everytime Kerry mentioned working with John McCain.

16. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

Why would the Democrats want to force the issue? If they don't want a Gay Marraige amendment why push the President on it? Just out of political spite? And that's supposed to be a good way to run a country? I thought liberals felt that the Democrats were supposed to be the "grown ups" in Washington?

Once again, Kerry and Bush had the same position on Gay Marraige.

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Me too.

18. No Worries

If the Democrats don't push the issue, the Republicans would get a free ride on it. All of the good yet none of the bad.

19. No Worries

Swing batter. Republicans position themselves as the grownups.

I can't see your reluctance wrt the Republicans following through on their campaign promises, not unless you are implicitly admitting that some of their promises were just cheap political posturing.

20. ima_drummer2k

McCain is as much a Republican as Zell Miller is a Democrat. Besides, I thought McCain was voting for Kerry according to bbs inside sources.