1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yet another dead horse to beat: The NFL Houston _______

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lynus302, May 24, 2000.

1. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I was thinking abvout my last trip to the Houston Zoo when I remembered a particular ape that the zoo has: the Eastern Lowland Gorilla, otherwise known as a Silver Back. From what I remember reading, there are only a few of these in captivity and the Houston Zoo is one of very few to have one, thus making it somewhat unique to the city.

What I want to know from you guys is your opinion on this:

The Houston Silver Backs

I think it sounds really cool. We would be the only professional sports franchise in any sport to have a primate as a mascot. It would get us away from oil, space, and Texas themes and create something truly unique. Imagine a great big, pissed off ape for logo design stuff and I think we'd have a winner as far as names go.

The Houston Silver Backs. What do ya'll think?

------------------
    I need a new signature.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I like it better than anything I've heard. [​IMG]

------------------
    "It's always funny until someone gets hurt...and then it's just hilarious."

-Faith No More

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I definitely like it better than what's left.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

5. dc sports

dc sports Member

Here's a random thought, I'm almost afraid to mention. [​IMG] -- and I am kidding.

Why don't they sell naming rights for the team? They could make a ton of money, and help pay off the football stadium early. A few possibilities:

The Houston Industries Power Team.
    The Enron Gas Men
    Gallery Furniture.com Save-U-Money.com Guys.
    Budwieser Bud / Bud Light. One in each conference. The league gets a bonus if they both make it to the Superbowl.

They could also sell rights to the player positions. It might make the play by play a bit tougher, but would give an opportunity for some smaller companies.

Outback Steakhouse Quarterback John Smith
    Gallery Furniture Running (No) Back-Back-Back Orders John Doe
    Chili's Hot Pepper Kicker Fred Smith
    Colorado Club Cornarback, Joe Long
    Fred's Fine Italian Reciever, Frank Maselli
    Sonic Drive Through Defensive Linesman Brad Butler
    Blimpie Center Chub Lewis

------------------
    Stay Cool...