1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Cruz, Tamargo deserve a shot at managerial jobs

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by JPM0016, Oct 17, 2004.

1. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

I'm sorry, i couldn't help but laugh.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2851630

Cruz, Tamargo deserve a shot at managerial jobs
    Years of service to Astros should merit an interview
    By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

There's no doubt first-base coach Jose Cruz and bench coach John Tamargo are two of the most respected coaches on Phil Garner's Astros staff.

And it's a shame Cruz and Tamargo haven't been mentioned as candidates this month for the managerial vacancies with the Philadelphia Phillies, Seattle Mariners, New York Mets and Arizona Diamondbacks.

A look at these men's résumés should be enough to get them interviews at least. Tamargo, the Astros' bench coach since 2002, has managed in the minors with exceptional success. He won a Pacific Coast League title and earned a berth in the Class AAA World Series with the New Orleans Zephyrs. Managing in the Mets' system, Tamargo also won a Class AA title and reached the playoffs three years in Class A.

"JT has a lot of experience," Astros infielder Jose Vizcaino said of Tamargo. "He managed in the minors and won."

Tamargo also managed Venezuelan winter league powers Caracas and Magallanes. He won a Venezuelan title with Magallanes to reach the Caribbean World Series.

Cruz has never missed the playoffs in his five years managing in Puerto Rico. He reached the playoffs with Santurce twice and with Ponce three times. Cruz reminds Astros star Carlos Beltran of his former Kansas City manager Tony Peña, who was the 2003 American League Manager of the Year.

"Cheo keeps the team relaxed," Beltran said. "Year after year, he manages in Puerto Rico, and year after year, he's playing for a championship. I'd like to see him being a manager in the future. He has the potential and ability."

Tamargo and Cruz are holdovers from Larry Dierker's staff. Drayton McLane would have already lifted the interim tag off Garner if he weren't committed to commissioner Bud Selig's edict to interview minority candidates.

Here is where mutual interests can collide and honor the spirit of Selig's edict. Everybody knows Garner will get this job, which he has earned by doing sensational work with a team that was dead under Jimy Williams. But the interview process doesn't have to be a waste.

It's time to start Cruz and Tamargo on the same road Peña got on when he interviewed for the Astros job that went to Williams. They can learn a lot from having McLane, Gerry Hunsicker, Tal Smith and Pam Gardner press them for answers.

McLane is one of the most respected owners among his colleagues. His personal recommendation to Kansas City Royals owner and good friend Dave Glass practically sealed the deal for Peña, who paid his dues managing in the Astros' farm system.

If Cruz and Tamargo can look at the big picture, they stand to benefit from going through the process with the Astros even if some might deem them token interviews. The key now is to get their names and records out there. They stand to learn from the process and possibly impress McLane enough to earn his recommendation when one of McLane's friends needs a manager.

Tamargo admits he would like to manage in the majors.

"Oh, yeah. I definitely think of managing in the big leagues," he said. "I would love the opportunity."

Cruz hasn't given much thought to managing in the majors, but players say he could be the next Peña or Ozzie Guillen.

"I haven't been interested in managing in the majors yet because I'm happy coaching," Cruz said. "But I have experience."

It's time for Cruz and Tamargo to at least start going through the process.

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Actually, I really like Tamargo. Don't know much about his qualifications ...but ..............he seems to have a managerial
    "presence " about him

3. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

I don't really mind Tamargo; but including Jose Cruz in the conversation. I just can't see that.

4. Elienator

Elienator Member

Jose Cruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuz

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't disagree with his premise.

DD

6. edc

edc Contributing Member

Other than, perhaps, the opportunity to be the manager for one of his sons, does Cheo even want the hot seat? Houston is his home, and despite coming up through the Cardinals organization (and his sad final year in New York), he has been around so long he virtually IS the Houston Astros.

Much like seeing "Mr. Rocket" in LaLaLand, seeing Cheo manage in Florida, Washington, or Minnesota would just make me sad.