1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Have Been a Rainout

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RocketMan Tex, Oct 15, 2004.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I'm a little pissed after last night...I feel that it should have been a rainout. The warning tracks and sidelines were slop by the end of the second inning. Any other game of the year would have been rained out. Since it's the playoffs, the networks say the show must go on. I'm angry about it, and even if the Astros would have won last night I'd be angry. You are putting players in danger when they have to play in slop like last night.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Agreed. Rolen and Kent were at risk as well as every outfielder. Nobody plays in that kind of downpour. Good game tho given the conditions. Pitchers still had control.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Should have faked an injury... and then Garner would have complained that the field conditions were no good... then nobody would have played.

That being said, I'm looking forward to having the pitching matchups in our favor in all 3 home games...

4. kevwun

kevwun Member

I can't remember the last baseball game I saw where there were puddles on the warning track.

5. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

why can't these sorry cheap teams get retractable roofs :)

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I always think the same way, that is we should be in Houston. when games are rain delayed etc.

7. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

We're spoiled after having a roof, albeit optional now, all these years.

That being said, for the next three games the 'Stros are gonna tear the roof off the sucker!

Go 'Stros!

8. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

now it really pisses me off b/c they were willing to postpone the Yankees/Red Sox game and not the Astros game all b/c of FOX. :mad:

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

I saw that too.

Bogus.

10. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

I heard earlier something along the lines of Monday's Astros game will become an afternoon game. What f'n bullsh*t.

11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

It makes complete sense...there's a huge band of bad showers expected to hit that area in a few hours, meaning if the game were to get under way most likely it'd have to be stopped midway through or shortened, a bad situation in either case. The difference in the Astros/Cards game was that the rain was expected to clear out within an hour or so of starting. And even though it didnt, it wasn't raining that hard anyway.

12. JunkyardDwg

Plus I don't see why Fox would wanna postpone the game and show See Spot Run in its place (not exactly a ratings grab).

13. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I get your point, but the fact is that by the time the game started, the playing conditions were already horrendous. They were very, VERY fortunate that there wasn't a serious injury along the lines of a torn quad or ACL due to the poor outfield conditions.

14. JunkyardDwg

Well I do agree w/ that... the filed (especially around the warning track) was slop. But maybe it worked out this way..if the game was postponed than Clemens probably would have started instead of Munro...if that was the case, then everybody else would get pushed up leaving who to play a game 7 if needed ... Munro?

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

would have worked out like this:

Game 2 - Friday - Clemens (4 days rest)
    Game 3 - Saturday - Oswalt (4 days rest)
    Game 4 - Sunday - Munro (infinite rest)
    Game 5 - Monday - Backe (4 days rest)
    Game 6 - Wednesday - Clemens (4 days rest)
    Game 7 - Thursday - Oswalt (4 days rest)

Thats why everyone was rooting for a rain out. Would have set up our rotation nicely.

16. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Would have allowed Clemens/Oswalt to go game 6-7 on full rest...Backe game 5 on full rest, and Munro game 4. Game 2 and 3 would be Clemens and Oswalt on full rest.

17. JunkyardDwg

Ahhh...I get it now. Well that woulda been nice.

18. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Where did you hear this .. I havn't seen this online anywhere.

I saw that they are rescheduling game 5 of the Yanks/Sox for Monday @ 7:00, but havn't heard anything about them moving the Stros game to earlier. I just assumed they'd play at the same time once again.

Man that is going to suck if the game moves to the afternoon ... Some people actually have to work.

#18 RocketManJosh, Oct 16, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  19. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Ok it looks like Mondays game is still on track to be the night game and the BoSox/Yankees will be played earlier in the day. I'm actually surprised MLB didnt strong-arm the Astros/Cards into being the day game ... I guess there is still 2 days for them to try and change their minds

From
    http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/n...5&content_id=895701&vkey=ds2004news&fext=.jsp

<B>"The tickets are marked "Home Game #1" -- which technically will now be played Monday at 5:10 p.m. ET. However, if the Cardinals sweep the Astros in the NLCS, the game will move to prime time at 8 p.m. ET. "</B>

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

At first I thought that they may move the Astros game, but then I remembered that they've already played games at the same time, so why wouldn't they just do that again on Monday?