1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's more than heart ...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Toast, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Toast

Toast Member

Like many others, I'm getting sick of hearing about Philly's heart. But for different reasons than some state.

Look, the 76ers are not some "David vs. Golliath" story that the media's tried to spoonfeed everyone. Listen to their credentials:
    Iverson -- scoring champion AND NBA MVP
    Mutombo -- defensive player of the year
    McKie -- 6th man of the year
    Brown -- coach of the year.

Philly didn't win game 1 'cause of heart. They didn't stay close to the Lakers in games 2 & 3 because of heart. They have talent. They have skill. They won the same amount of games as the Lakers (yeah, I know, it was in the Eastern Conference). They are a good team who knows how to win. They won their division and their conference. People didn't say they won all that with heart. They won it with solid defense and with Iverson leading the offensive charge.

So stop this crap about Philly's heart. They deserve to be in the finals, and they're hanging tough because of their talent and skills as well as a little bit of the "h" word.

Let's lose the talk of heart & injuries. This is basketball.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

You're damn right! The Sixers not only have heart, but skill. That is a winning combination, and that is why they will win the next three games!

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

It's back...

Protrolls.com!

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I agree! I am tired of hearing all this crap about heart.

The word I am looking for is luck.

1.Lucky that they are in the east instead of the west where they would have been lucky to make the play offs as the 7th seed and would have never made it out of the first round.

2.Lucky that L.A. had to sit for 10 days and cool off while they were on a major streak.

3.Lucky to pull out game one in O.T. or we would be looking at a sweep tonight.

4. Lucky to get all of those awards. Webber should have been MVP, Nelson should have been coach of the year, and if Cuttino Mobley had stayed on the bench he would have been 6th man of the year with no compitition.

The 76ers, not neccesarily a team of heart but a team of luck!

------------------

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, Philly is good. But watching these Finals I've really been struck by the effort they've shown. Philly is working a lot harder than the Lakers are. I won't say that their skill doesn't have something to do with why they've been competitive. But, especially when you compare the Finals to the WC Finals where the Spurs just rolled over, you can't help but note the heart they have.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

5. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

See thats why i want the lakers to win. Philly has all these mvp, dpoy,coty,smoty, but they played in the eastern conference. the lakers steamrolled all their tougher western competition and without these awards the same way they will steamroll the sixers. It makes me sick the way a team plays weaker teams but still gets all the mvp awards. I'm not really a big laker fan, just a big western conference fan.

------------------

6. Toast

Toast Member

Yeah, a couple of my friends & I were wondering if the majority of people who vote for these types of awards are from the east/east coast. Seems these awards almost always go to eastern conference teams. Coach of the year last few years: Larry Bird (Indiana), Doc Rivers (Orlando), Larry Brown (Philly).

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

7. PhiSlammaJamma

If they win only one game, you're right, what heart? Their heart will get tested on Friday. Elimination games bring out your heart if you have one. They sure didn't seem to have one last night. They wilted.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited June 14, 2001).]