1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do ya'll see Brandon Backe's roll being next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Alimoe84, Oct 4, 2004.

1. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I bet the Rangers or Indians have some sluggers in the minors they'd give up for Miller. I posted before i thought Miller would eventually get traded. I just don't think we can resign both Roy and Wade, especially if Beltran comes back. Some team will overpay for Miller since a 15 game winner is so hard to come by these days. That's why i don't think we'll ever risk letting him become a free agent.

2. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I think a good name for him is Big Game Backe, it's been at least two times I remember him being thrown into a starting job and doing good.

3. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

And if we got Willy Taveras and Luke Scott for Jeriome frikkin' Robertson...

4. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I think that Backe has proven his worth in the starting rotation. I have always said that I would like to see Miller traded and with the recent emergance of Backe that may come to fruition. What I like about having Backe in the rotation is that you know you are going to get a firey guy that will compete every outing. As well as, a guy that seems to limit his mistakes with runners on base. It also doesnt hurt that when he starts, it's like having a DH at the bottom of the lineup.

5. jiggadi

jiggadi Contributing Member

I sure as hell hope we don't trade Miller. His stuff is way too good to let him go. And if he would become the next Schilling for someone else that would really blow.

6. edc

edc Contributing Member

As an aside, the head man in baseball is the MANAGER

7. edc

edc Contributing Member

(oops, hit the "submit" button accidentally)

Coaches are the guys are first and third base, and the batting and pitching tutors. It may seem minor, but baseball people feel using the wrong term is a pretty major sign of disrespect.

8. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Comparing Wade Miller to Curt Schilling and saying he will be the next Curt Schilling is doing Schilling an injustice. Wade's a good pitcher but pending a solid recovery, he's better trade bait.

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On the flip side, his trade value is probably down because he's coming off an injury.

I think they'll shop him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Wade back in an Astros uni if they don't get a reasonable offer.

10. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Not in Oakland

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

If you compare Schilling and Miller's progress in their first 3 full seasons in the majors, their #s are pretty comparable.

Its an injustice to Miller to assume he will never get better. Hes only 27 and has had only 3 full ML seasons under his belt

12. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

It is possible (IMO, unlikely) that Miller will one day become as good as schilling. But he still won't be able to perform as Shilling does. Wade will never be able to pitch complete games the way Schilling does, simply because of his size. Shilling can throw back to back complete games. You will rarely ever see Wade throw more than 7 innings.

13. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

If I were referring to numbers you might have an argument.